Are muscles on girls good or bad?

rachopin77

I think it's important to be happy with your own body first and foremost. I prefer to keep my upper body toned not muscular. My legs tend to be pretty muscular from roller derby though. What really matters is that we are happy with ourselves. There are men with a variety of preferences so I'd say you would probably not have a problem finding a guy attracted to your body type.

One thing I've always wondered is what males really think about muscles on girls. I'm pretty fit, I run about 6-7 miles a day, and do sit ups, squats, etc, and as a result, I'm pretty thin from running and have some fairly defined muscles. Especially in my abdomen, where I actually have a 6 pack. I'm not anywhere near huge female bodybuilder size, but you can clearly tell I have muscle. A lot of girls I know are afraid of working out or lifting too much because they don't want to get too much muscle, but for me, health and staying in shape are very important. I just wonder how guys in general feel about the subject. Is it a good thing or does it seem harsh and unfeminine if a girl has muscle or something like defined abs?

I LOVE working out, I am trying to get back n2 the shape I was in b4, which was a 6 pack and big muscles etc...

Here's how I look at it...I look around my gym & the girls are so manly like...they are buff too but just no effort to be feminine

When i go to the gym I buy my workout clothes from Victoria Secret, I do my hair and makeup

Now when i go there I NEVER talk to anyne I NEVER flirt etc- I am seriously there to work out, but I just want to stay feminine does that make sense?

Be buff, be fit, be ripped...athletic men will appreciate that- like attracts like

trust me ive had guys tell me being muscular on a girl is gross

but if you make it fun and flirty...some hello kitty earbuds on your ipod, pink workout clothes etc you remain feminine..

No offense but reading this made me cringe. If you're there to work out why are you wearing makeup? This is why I like to work out at home, in my sweaty, holy sweatpants with no makeup...lol. Who cares if you look 'feminine' in the gym??

lol seriously. Women put on makeup before going to the gym? I dunno, I just find that hilarious. I mean, if you're there to workout, you're going to sweat it all off anyway. What's the point!?

I guess it depends on your definiton of "ripped." I appreciate a woman who is thin and toned, but muscular with 6-pack abs? No thanks! But that's just me. Different strokes.

I work out 4-6 times a week alternating at home crossfit workouts with kettlebells and HIIT running. It's a common misconception among men AND women that if a woman does strength training, she'll become 'ripped' or get a body builder-esque build. Regardless of sex, to get that type of body and gain lots of muscle...it takes a LOT of work - in the gym and in the kitchen...not to mention all the supplements. I've been busting my butt for a while and while i'm definitely getting toned and a LOT more strong from what I used to be, i'm no where near body builder status. It used to be burned into my head that I should be doing only cardio and eating as minimal calories as possible to get the slim, toned body that I want. Now that i'm more educated on the matter and discovered crossfit...I learned that strength training is a must if you enjoy your curves but still want to lose weight. I'm a single 23 year old and at first I worried about the possibility that some guys might not be attracted to me if I gained 'too much' muscle...but I quickly figured out that obvious, bulging muscles aren't easy to come by as a female. I also finally realized, who cares if some guy isn't interested in me because i'm active...opposites attract and anything can happen, you can fall in love with anyone butttt i'd much rather have a boyfriend who would enjoy working out with me sometimes vs a boyfriend who brought me down about it or wasn't interested in it at all.

also, to the poster who mentioned how to be 'feminine' at the gym....you don't have to wear makeup, do your hair or wear a certain brand of workout clothes or have pink accessories to be 'feminine'. That's such a ridiculous stereotype. The gym I used to go to would have women come in wearing ridiculous workout outfits with matching pushup sports bras [what is the point of a pushup sports bra anyway? it defeats the purpose.], a face full of makeup and their hair curled and put up in dramatic updos...they would hop from cardio machine to cardio machine spending 5 to 10 minutes on each, doing as minimal work as possible. They would look absolutely ridiculous. The girls who do come in wearing a face full of makeup that actually do workout, look ridiculous because it starts smearing everywhere and melting off their face with the sweat they're producing. I'm not knocking girls who wear makeup, I do too...I prefer to wear makeup in public but when i'm going to workout, it's just useless..not to mention it can clog your pores and cause other problems. If you're concerned about guys noticing you, I got hit on at the gym numerous times when I wasn't wearing makeup and felt the most unattractive, lol.

OP, you want someone who accepts you for YOU. Don't worry about what guys do and do not like, the right guy will like you for what you are.

No offense but reading this made me cringe. If you're there to work out why are you wearing makeup? This is why I like to work out at home, in my sweaty, holy sweatpants with no makeup...lol. Who cares if you look 'feminine' in the gym??

That post made me cringe too, so ridiculous.

I put on guy-liner, lip shimmer and boyshorts from VS before I go to the gym. Then I realize it didn't help my workout much so I went back to workout pants and t-shirt.

Hahaha!!

I guess it's easier for us guys to show off at the gym...just need to wear a "wife beater" (you know, the t-shirt!) and show off dem guns

Honestly, don't think about this from a man's perspective. Think about it from a health and wellness standpoint, you gotta take care of your body, your body deserves that much, look what it does for you everyday, you want to be there for your loved ones in the long run no? That means you take care of your body, it needs exercise and lots of it, we were designed for constant movement.

This means that you will build muscle, depending on your body type it may be long and lean, or bulkier like that pic above. Yoga, for example, is likely one of the best things you can do for your body (and your mind) and it will not make you bulky but it will make you strong and more flexible.

Lifting weights will give you more muscle definition. Is that bad? No, it's just a different form of exercise that still provides your body with the physical nourishment it needs to run properly.

Take your focus of how you're body looks to others and put that focus on how your body feels, how it looks is a side bonus. I personally do not know anyone (who is is passionate about being fit) who does not appreciate a HEALTHY fit body, regardless of how it looks.

Hey,

Wow, lots of opinions on this! Well, I know there is a niche market of guys who absolutely LOVE muscular women. They pay these women to squeeze them and pose and flex. Some men absolutely worship women with muscles!

I think it seriously is down to preference. You sound as if you have a long distance runners build, which sounds not stocky but skinny and toned with high muscle definition. I bet you look great in halter tops and I bet your legs are absolutely amazing!

I'm sure plenty of guys will find you attractive, and if they call you out on having abs or clear cut muscles, then, whatever, forget them! At the very least they're rude idiots!

Just be yourself and look how you want to look - look however makes you feel good about yourself! At the end of the day, no one can please everyone! It's all about preference.

All the best!

Archived