Attending a VERY formal wedding, need advice.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you guys like the dress.

When my grandmother died, she left me behind (amongst other things) lots of pearls so I am going to wear a pearl necklace with it. I currently can't wear earrings due to some scar tissue on my ear but once I get that removed, it's back to earrings, which I miss wearing.

Do you think I could get away with wearing very fancy maybe silver sandals? Despite my weight, I have the most beautiful, long, slender feet and I wouldn't mind showing them off.

• 4 weeks later...

Wedding is in a week-ish. There are supposed to be thunderstorms but I suspect that there will be a big tent so no biggie, I guess. If it were going to be outside and it were sunny, I'd have to put on a lot of sunscreen (I don't want to tan) so I would have smelled like a beach at the wedding. I have one bottle of perfume but that's for special occasions. While this is a big event and a stressful one for me, well, I know I'm not going for what would be "good" reasons. Like supporting the groom/bride. I am there only for N.

N bought his suit and it was like $500, but it included a couple shirts, ties, and shoes.. Ouch. At least he'll be able to wear it again!

I actually switched dresses. My mom had gotten me another one to try on and I like it a lot better. It slims me more and is very formal, an evening gown. No upper arms exposed, very modest, and the dress goes all the way down to my feet. It's just what I wanted. I'll post a picture when I can - dress website is down. It's sort of grey...but there's definitely purple in there. More purple than grey. Not exactly in line with what the bride wants people to wear in terms of color, but hey, I like it best and I have a strict NO PHOTO rule (N can be in them, but I don't want to be), so it's not like she can complain! LOL.

I am going to get a trim but need to find a cheap salon in the area. My nails are too short to be done up (I bite) and I have no make-up outside of a 2 year old bottle of cover-up that I have used at interviews.

My mom is away that weekend too.

Do you think I should just put on the cover-up and be done with it? Would that be okay?

I don't really have acne anymore.

Went to the wedding. It was... *sigh*

It started out great. Liked my dress. Wore no make up. Blow dried and brushed my hair. The wedding couple had orchestrated everything, even their dance. It all felt really fake. But I expected that. This is the third time the groom married and his very very young child (a toddler) was in the ceremony. Not his bride's, it was from wife #2.

Super super super formal.

I got very very drunk. I didn't know anyone there but N's grandma. Different family side, this isn't the drunk one. I think I had about 8 stiff ones but I composed myself well. I didn't really meet anyone, just wandered around consuming alcohol and eating food. N did the same. For a while.

All I wanted was to slow dance with N. We couldn't. Too drunk. He kept stepping on my open toes. I was disappointed but he said we'd try again later

I ate dinner and sobered up. N only made it halfway through. He had to go sit somewhere. Half hour later, he got sick in the bathroom. He couldn't walk. His grandmother and I had to drag him to my car. She was worried about him. I was masking my anger.

I was livid. Once in the car, I began yelling at him. I woke up this morning and yelled at him too. I felt like he ruined everything. I told him not to drink that last glass of wine and he ruined it.

This was supposed to be awesome and it wasn't. I should have just stayed home and never gone. I am so unhappy with him that I am spending the day away from him. I am going to see my mom.

He is absolutely repentant and miserable but at the moment, I don't care. I just need my time away today. I don't want to talk to him or anything.

Now I need to make up a story so my mom doesn't feel like she wasted her time and money on me. He has humiliated me and I am so very disappointed.

I know none of you guys know me in real life but I'm downright scary when I "snap". I'm used to bottling up strong emotions and lying about my feelings/self for professional reasons for my job, but I downright snapped last night. I am still seething. Utterly seething.

I just hate my life sometimes.

^

I agree. I understand your disappointment. My man did this to me on at our housewarming party. I was livid. I planned and planned and all of our guests had to leave because we have one bathroom and he was in it. Party was over by 10. He learned though, and hopefully N learned his lesson too. I am sorry your night was so disappointing. It sounded stuffy anyways.

Agree with Miss Firecracker. I think most people have had the "I'll just have one more and it will be fine" moment only to find, that, nope, its not fine. If the worst thing that happens in your relationship is him getting to drunk at a wedding then I think you guys will be alright.

I have forgiven him. Although I won't let him live this down. Next time he says he can hold his liquor, I will bring this up.

He was absolutely mortified at me telling him everything he didn't remember. Especially when I told him that he was this close to barfing on his 3 year old cousin (groom's son) and then his own grandmother had to go fetch him out of the bathroom and help me drag him back to the car.

Next time I see her, we'll have a laugh at his expense.

I'm okay now. I'm glad I went. Caviar, lots of alcohol, and a story. I guess that's all I can ask for.

Archived