How do you guys feel when you lose a pet?

ChewyC

I'm just asking out of interest. I know some people just see their pet as nothing more than a pleasant animal that wanders round the house. I know others (like myself) who see their pet as a fully integrated part of the family!

Most of us know how hard it is to lose a loved one. But what a lot of people don't seem to realise is how hard it is to lose a pet. In fact, I'd say losing a pet and a loved one are pretty much the same thing!

I ask because one of my dogs recently died. I've lived with dogs and cats all my life, so I know to expect a death every so often, but that doesn't make it any easier. Especially when you have grown up alongside the dog. You're losing not only a family pet, but a family member, a childhood friend and a friendly face around the house.

so, do you guys share my views? Why? If not, why not?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dog had the kindest spirit out of all my family. My next door neighbours gave her to us as a present for me when i was like 6 months old, and sure enough she was my very best friend. She really was. She passed away when i was 15 and i was absolutely devastated. It took me a very very long time to get over it. She was everything - more than family to me. I honestly do believe that pets become like family - in some ways its the only reason i don't want a pet, because i know that trying to cope with the loss would be horrible.

I'm sorry you've had to feel the loss, expected or not the grief is still horrible.

I am sorry you lost your dog xx

I lost one of my little kitties about 3 weeks ago , she was poisoned with anti freeze , and I was beyond grief .

my cats are my babies ..I love them so much , they have such different personalities , and they are lovely gentle animals .

but , I do undertsand that not everyone shares my sentiments .

I think I love all animals though ...I prefer them to humans

Just like losing family.

My first dog was evil.

He was a Bull terrier/Blue Merle Cross.

The dog was so hard to train and even then he was very disobedient.

The dog seemed to think that anything I commanded was something he was to do for 30 seconds.

Eventually he wandered off to the local poultry farm, and started mauling the chickens which ended with a bullet from the dog rangers rifle.

Despite all that happened and how the dog was, I still was upset to hear he had passed on.

My second dog was the total opposite.

A long haired border collie.

A Very smart and very obedient angel of a dog.

He reminded me of calamity coyote because of the unfortunate situations he would end up in.

Ended up with diabetes, then the veterinarian decided to try him on a new medication which made him seriously ill and soon after passed away.

Miss the dog no more no less than the evil dog.

Once they have been around long enough and many memories have been shared, it's just the same as losing family.

I was more upset - in the sense of beside myself with grief - by the death of my dog ten years ago than my mother the previous year, though to be honest that was probably because the dog collapsed and died out of the blue whereas my mother had been terminally ill for a year, so it was no surprise when it happened.

My dog had the kindest spirit out of all my family. My next door neighbours gave her to us as a present for me when i was like 6 months old, and sure enough she was my very best friend. She really was. She passed away when i was 15 and i was absolutely devastated. It took me a very very long time to get over it. She was everything - more than family to me. I honestly do believe that pets become like family - in some ways its the only reason i don't want a pet, because i know that trying to cope with the loss would be horrible.

I'm sorry you've had to feel the loss, expected or not the grief is still horrible.

Yes I know what you mean. When I was 10, two dogs we'd had since I was born died, and in that I lost my 2 oldest and best friends. And I can understand why you wouldn't want to go through that again, it is horrible. Thank you

I am sorry you lost your dog xx

I lost one of my little kitties about 3 weeks ago , she was poisoned with anti freeze , and I was beyond grief .

my cats are my babies ..I love them so much , they have such different personalities , and they are lovely gentle animals .

but , I do undertsand that not everyone shares my sentiments .

I think I love all animals though ...I prefer them to humans

I'm sorry for your loss xx I know what you mean, pets definitely do have their own personalities! And their own moods and stuff like that too, without a doubt

I don't think you can compare it as far as saying it's like a human... I understand the integrated of family part, but if my friend had a dog which died, compared to a mother that died etc. I would say there's a huge difference. Otherwise I agree

I can see why you'd think that. Your mum is your mum after all. And you build more memories with your "actual" family.

Just like losing family.

My first dog was evil.

He was a Bull terrier/Blue Merle Cross.

The dog was so hard to train and even then he was very disobedient.

The dog seemed to think that anything I commanded was something he was to do for 30 seconds.

Eventually he wandered off to the local poultry farm, and started mauling the chickens which ended with a bullet from the dog rangers rifle.

Despite all that happened and how the dog was, I still was upset to hear he had passed on.

My second dog was the total opposite.

A long haired border collie.

A Very smart and very obedient angel of a dog.

He reminded me of calamity coyote because of the unfortunate situations he would end up in.

Ended up with diabetes, then the veterinarian decided to try him on a new medication which made him seriously ill and soon after passed away.

Miss the dog no more no less than the evil dog.

Once they have been around long enough and many memories have been shared, it's just the same as losing family.

I know what you mean about missing them both the same. One of the dogs I had when I was wee, he was a grumpy little bugger. He'd bark all day, he'd near enough take your hand off if you came to close, and once he even took a chunk out of my ear! My other dog at the time was the opposite. she would follow me around like a lost sheep, when I fell asleep, she'd burrow under me and act like a pillow, she'd come and snuggle into me when I came back from school every day. They both died within a month of eachother when I was 10, and despite all those differences, I missed them the same. They were both family and my best friends.

I was more upset - in the sense of beside myself with grief - by the death of my dog ten years ago than my mother the previous year, though to be honest that was probably because the dog collapsed and died out of the blue whereas my mother had been terminally ill for a year, so it was no surprise when it happened.

surprise or no, it's still hard to take. 3 of my dogs have been put down, so the deaths were all somewhat expected, but it still hurt a lot. But I suppose it being expected does give yourself a chance to prepare for the grief that follows.

I have a string of pets that I've lost. I have so many it's scary, as I'm an older adult who's had an active pet family, I do have a list: Toto, a Yorkie I adopted as a senior who lived two years and died as a teen; Reggie, an adult pommie who died last year after being with me for seven years, he was at least ten years old when I got him; Mandy, a Siamese cat who lived with me at my parents home for 17 years. Rachel, a pearl persian who died at age 17, Sydney a calico kitty who died at age 18; Mikky, a dog who died at age 17; and these are just this last decades dog and cat deaths! I realized long ago that we have our furkids for such a limited time and it's terrible to know that, sometimes, but I would not trade one hour with them for any amount of money, success or fame!

Angel

I am a kitty girl.

when I went off to college my mom unexpectedly moved and I had to get rid of my two kitties I had raised since kittens.

I Sobbed for days over it.

I just got my new kitty in October. I almost had to get rid of him last month and I felt as if I was spending my last moments with my terminally ill child or something. no comparison of course but he feels like my baby. he has helped me get out of a depressing funk... he trusts me and relies on me... its nice to have him. he is my little buddy and partner right now! can't imagine losing him.

thankyou chewy xx

talktalk thats just how I view my kit cats ....I tell them stuff , my little girl rosie follows me around all day , and I sit near my patio door on the pc ...well she will run out the cat flap and play , then run back in , up the desk , leans over to nudge my face so I kiss her , then runs out again hahaha this goes on all day ...and big george ... he is 8 , he is sooooo soppy ...if you came to my house no sooner would your ass be sat down when george would be on you knee hahah

Animals mean the world to me - and losing a beloved fur kid is devastating. Almost a year ago, my very special boy, Skittles - a tuxedo cat, age 14 - succumbed to heart failure. It was shattering. I've always lived with animals and I loved them all...but Skittles was my heart. His death still pains me.

surprise or no, it's still hard to take. 3 of my dogs have been put down, so the deaths were all somewhat expected, but it still hurt a lot. But I suppose it being expected does give yourself a chance to prepare for the grief that follows.

Oh, sure. My next dog was euthanised a few months after starting to fall ill and, although some veterinary intervention had given her an extra month or so of reasonable-quality life which was nice, when it finally came time to let her go I didn't feel distraught about it at all, though of course I missed her.

Pets are certainly a part of the family for me.

Our family dog growing up...technically belonged to my brother but we all cared for her. Lived to be 16 I had been away from home for several years and happened to be back just before she took a turn for the worst. I was home all day to see how sda nad tired she was and the day we took her to be put to sleep I cried all day. My sister had a pet rabbit that lived over 12 years and although I only lived with her while she had him for a short while it still broke my heart when he passed and she called me in tears.

My first dog died unexpectedly...I really think maybe she got into some poison left out for rodents or squirls which we a problem in the neighborhood...she became ill one night and then had progressive parlysis I took her to the pet ER before that even stared but they had no idea what was wrong with her by the next morning the paralysis had taken over her diphram/breathing and they called me in...when I got there they were doing CPR to keep her alive...the worst sight ever...I told her it was okay to go and rest just like you would any human that was ready to pass. I only had her for 5 years.

I have no idea what I'll do when it's time for my little Frenchie to go. She's like a child to me she's the only one who's always there for me and she's my little cuddle buddy...I shudder to think one day she'll be gone...Thank goodness I should have quite afew more good years with her.

I grieved my cat when he died because he was my friend since I was five years old (he died when I was 18). He was a part of my family and I adored him. When I dwell on it, I still get upset over his death. To me pets are so much more than "just animals".

I miss my two living cats a lot because I live abroad, they live with my mum and stepdad. I have to shower them with affection and love every time I get back. The older one is accepting and acts normal when I return, the younger one sulks for a few hours before becoming my best friend again

I'm a cat person though I do love animals. I had dogs first, mainly because I couldn't have cats because of dad being allergic. My mother and I adored cats.

I remember Boots. He was a tiny thing. On hot, summer days he would lay eagle spread on the kitchen floor. Dad gave him away though because he kept scratching the underside of the bed. I was so upset. I wonder where he went to this day.

I got Bunny. Half bloodhound and half another hunting dog type. I loved her. Whenever I was upset, she would quickly be there to lick away my tears. Had tumors and died. I still think about her.

There's Sam. Australian German shepherd. Died before Bunny but younger. She was very assertive, me-first type of dog. bunny would let her. I think about her too and am guilty. She was also scared of everything, and for some reason I think it's my fault that I made her like that. Dunno. But it's probably because her parents were also brothers and sisters.

But yeah, I'd admit that cats mean more to me. But I think it's because I didn't have time to get attached to my dogs like I do with my cats. I lived at home on weekends and school (high school, not college) for the week.

I lost B. last month. Died of leukemia. I saw him from birth. He choose me when he was born by following me everywhere and crying when I wasn't there. It was adorable. He was a good cat. Smart, mischiveious, playful. One time I kneeled kinda on the floor for the tv, and B. just jumped into my lap and laid there. Cute. In his last week, my boyfriend and I cried. He was dying. He raised him too. We still feel guilty for not noticing he was sick (though the vet said he probably had it from birth). He was a bony, little thing when he died, and then we had to let him go. We cried. Heartbreaking. I still get tears thinking of him.

I have Buffy now. I feel like she's my daughter. I'd be devastated if she went too. I'm takig care of her the best I can and sometimes like a mother, lol. I would roll eyes but let her in my lap so she could suckle on my pj pants. She like specific fabric to suck on, but only if I'm wearing them. It's a sign of comfort and trust. She also lies belly up to me . She trusts me completely. She's a brat sometimes and such a wild cat, zooming everywhere. She also has pica, eating everything. Sheesh. Would eaten the thumbtack if it wasn't for me. She's a lot to handle but I'm raising her. She loves being in my lap and if its occupied, she would paw at me. Once, she laid a paw on my shoulder for a long time for that reason, sheesh. She loves sleeping with me and being in the same room as me. Boyfriend once took a shower and she hopped in too, rofl.

Well for me it depends how attached I was to the pet. Some animals you just click more with. I still really miss our pekingese Gia, she was just a sweet dog. Mostly I hang onto good memories of the pets, and don't focus on so much life without them. But I've read in books that our animals greet us in heaven, and that makes me happy.

I've lost many pets in my life, the hardest one being our family dog who was with us for 16 years. It was the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I went to grief counselling (at a regular counsellor, not an animal counsellor), and my counsellor told me it's almost akin to losing a brother or a sister. I had to go to counselling for over a year to get over the loss of our dog, so don't feel embarrassed or ashamed of your feelings. Does your dog's clinic offer free (or cheap) grief counselling?

I work in a vet clinic and even the most seasoned veterinarians still cry when euthanizing an animal. They are living creatures, with families and memories and friends. They are someone's life.

I lost a cat about a year ago to coyotes. He was the coolest pet I've ever owned and I sobbed when I buried him.

Not too long ago my girlfriend's cat got diagnosed with renal failure, so he could go at any time now and I know it's going to be heart-breaking for her and, honestly, for me too. He's another cool cat.

We've had both of them, respectively, for 12+ years. So yeah, it's very much like losing a dear friend. You think back to when you first got them and all the different stages of life they've been there for you.

Animals are family. Our dog had to be put down about 7 years ago after diabetes-related complications and old age. As an only child, he was my close companion all the way through my childhood to my teens and I was devastated when he passed - everyone was. We were surprised to have family members and close family friends send us sympathy cards telling us how much joy our dog had brought into THEIR lives, too. However, when our dog was dying and my parents were discussing putting him down, we had people tell us that it was "just a dog" and that we "could always get another one". My parents had spent thousands on insulin for him in the past few years (they could afford it) and these people could simply not understand why they spent so much money on his health when he was "just a dog".

Sometimes our relationships with our pets are our most unconditional-love relationships, or where we experience love most unconditionally, and losing them can represent a most profound loss. We may aim for unconditional love with people in our lives, but pets (some, but not all) SHOW us how in so many ways.

Archived