Meeting after almost 5 years of online relationship

coco_angel

Hello all,

I haven't been active on enotalone in years. But anyway, I am meeting my online boyfriend after almost 5 years of online chatting, phone calls, and some video chats. Surprisingly I am not nervous at all. He makes me feel at ease. I do not feel insecure in any way about our relationship. I know where we both want to be but its not in the same timeline and I am prepared for whatever happens.

I took a leap of faith and booked my ticket to London and I just can't stop smiling. I am trying to reserve my excitement but I have never left North America so its just going to be a blast all the way around.

I have mentally prepared myself for both outcomes good and bad. To be honest we have both gained weight since first meeting each other lol. Its quite funny.

I still cant believe that we will be meeting at an airport of all places. And again I am not nervous, I have this feeling of finally! Each year we say that we wish we could spend New Year's Eve together and every year we are on the phone when it turns New Year's my time.

This year we will be on the River Thames, enjoying the fireworks together. I still can't believe this is real.

Have any of you met your online boyfriend or girlfriend? Or traveled out of the country to do so? What was it like?

trinity ---true but he is more than a friend.. I refer to him as a friend to others but for goodness sakes we are not just friends. No matter how much I would even try to deny it. We have a nice, mature connection. And as for the title I like being called princess and queen. That's good enough for me So I will let you know what happens.

If he wants more than that, then he will have to put a ring on it!

Hope you enjoy London I live in N. Ireland so I have to fly or take a boat over to the UK Mainland but I am sure you will have a blast. I met two of my last girlfriends online. The reason they didn't work is that our paths in life are different and Religion had allot to do with it.

One of my girlfriends was from Bristol, I flew to see her only 30 minutes on a plane but it was a very tense feeling, You combine the feelings for them with the excitement of the holiday though so be careful as your emotions will be a lot higher than you will expect on the day.

Bottom line though the feeling was epic, Maybe you should try and get a River Boat Cruise over new years with dinner I think that might be nice for the both of you.

London's a good city if you don't live there so enjoy

One of my girlfriends was from Bristol, I flew to see her only 30 minutes on a plane but it was a very tense feeling, You combine the feelings for them with the excitement of the holiday though so be careful as your emotions will be a lot higher than you will expect on the day.

That was exactly the same for me, well my boyfriend was coming over from N.I to Brizz this was 5 years ago mind and I was just about to write about that one! lol

I'm actually going to london today to meet a friend I've not met before I know him online and he's from Norway, I'm not flying, getting a train and the station is HUGE so gonna be fun trying to find eachother once I arrive lol..

Anyway, make sure you try and go to madam tusauds (sorry I cant spell oops!) and enjoy the fireworks! Have fun and a safe flight it will be amazing but only as long as you dont have too high expectations

Butters

That was exactly the same for me, well my boyfriend was coming over from N.I to Brizz this was 5 years ago mind and I was just about to write about that one! lol

I'm actually going to london today to meet a friend I've not met before I know him online and he's from Norway, I'm not flying, getting a train and the station is HUGE so gonna be fun trying to find eachother once I arrive lol..

Anyway, make sure you try and go to madam tusauds (sorry I cant spell oops!) and enjoy the fireworks! Have fun and a safe flight it will be amazing but only as long as you dont have too high expectations

Butters

Common butters you know how things are the excitement. The high expectations will be off-set by how amazing London so the location where she is going couldn't be a better one in the entire world.

Aye well mine was a good number of years ago too but nasty stuff happened after that but then again we were both young it wouldn't last that distance at our age we were on different paths.

I know you have chatted a long time but you are meeting a stranger that you just know lots about. Don't have too many expectations as on meeting there is rarely any chemistry in my expereince, although you can get on like a house on fire and become very good friends.

I don't mean to be pesamistic and wish you the very best but I do recommend that you have a backout plan in case its really uncomfortable and you feel like you have made a mistake/ feel trapped. Nothing worse than that UGH feeling when you meet them for the first time and are stuck with them.

amipushy is correct in what she says. If you have ever met someone off the net its odd feeling and will take about 24 / 48 hours for you to match what u know about this electronic person to the real person. Seriously its an odd feeling.

Ditto this. I've met two of my boyfriends from online. I was with each of them for at least a year so yeah, I got over the awkwardness but damn, it was like at least 1-2 hours of "UHHHHHH...*thinking*"

It really does take a little bit of time. It's a VERY odd feeling. I've tried to explain the whole "love over the internet" thing to people like my parents. They just don't get it.

True but in some cases the overly high expectations may ruin the trip.. But over all it will be a great experience!

I'm feeling nervous about my trip to london to meet my friend! lol

Do you have many other plans for london? how long are you going for?

Hi Butterfly, I will only be there for 9 days. But if things work out, then I plan to move to London. Our religious beliefs do not permit long term bf/gf relationships in person so he would need to make the intention of getting married. I haven't put any pressure in that direction but we have discussed that it is the purpose for us meeting and continuing a relationship.

I was going to go to Paris for New Year's BUT that would have been kinda complicated as we don't intend on sharing a room or anything. So next time we will make better plans and we can go to Paris or even to Ireland because that is where part of my great great grandparents are from and I really want to search their hall of records for more info and just plain visit the country!

Why are you nervous about your trip?

ooh, so its going to be busy! Ah that's good, so at least you wont be jumping into a sexual relationship with him when you meet him?

Ah Paris would be nice to go to, Ireland is so beautiful! I've been to a few places in the Republic of Ireland, you may have to extend the stay next time so you can go to both places

I just really detest london trainstations that and I've barely packed anything aside from clothes and laptop lol..

I hope you have a great time when you come over

I know you have chatted a long time but you are meeting a stranger that you just know lots about. Don't have too many expectations as on meeting there is rarely any chemistry in my experience, although you can get on like a house on fire and become very good friends.

I don't mean to be pessimistic and wish you the very best but I do recommend that you have a back-up plan in case its really uncomfortable and you feel like you have made a mistake/ feel trapped. Nothing worse than that UGH feeling when you meet them for the first time and are stuck with them.

That is very good advice and I do have a friend from college that knows I am going and she can save me from the awkwardness Mr. London and I are not sharing any accommodations. I am at my hotel and he has his flat. We have no intention on being at either place. We set some ground rules. But if it doesn't work out. I am in the center of town, in Mayfair, about 3 blocks from Piccadilly circus,plenty of museums.. ..... so I will relax and enjoy!

ooh, so its going to be busy! Ah that's good, so at least you wont be jumping into a sexual relationship with him when you meet him?

Ah Paris would be nice to go to, Ireland is so beautiful! I've been to a few places in the Republic of Ireland, you may have to extend the stay next time so you can go to both places

I just really detest london trainstations that and I've barely packed anything aside from clothes and laptop lol..

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your trip! Where are you going and when?

Always interesting about coming to the Republic and Northern Ireland. Its like a right of passage for many yanks I never understood why.

Your religion can I guess you are Indian or of some exotic persuasion? If that was the case then why would you move to be with him. This guy has probably not set the UK as his permanent place so would him going to the US for you where everything is set up not be easier?

Clothes and laptop is a good combination you can order everything you need with just a laptop And thank you for calling it the Republic of Ireland. Being from N. Ireland there its insulting when people regard us the same as the Republic. Its as insulting as calling America (France) and Wales (England).

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your trip! Where are you going and when?

I'm going up to I think its south london in about an hour (going to take me 3 hours to get there, not as long as your trip but still too long for me) then going to visit Camden market (its an 'alternative' shopping area!)

And thank you for calling it the Republic of Ireland. Being from N. Ireland there its insulting when people regard us the same as the Republic. Its as insulting as calling America (France) and Wales (England).

My Republic friends also find it kind of insulting to be classed as the same, kind of like americans and canadians lol

Always interesting about coming to the Republic and Northern Ireland. Its like a right of passage for many yanks I never understood why.

Your religion can I guess you are Indian or of some exotic persuasion? If that was the case then why would you move to be with him. This guy has probably not set the UK as his permanent place so would him going to the US for you where everything is set up not be easier?

Hi christian guy its really bad to make assumptions.

He was born and raised in the UK and lived for a couple years in the US and that is how we met because at the time he lived in Santa Monica for business. And as for our religion no we are not Indian.. BUT I would like to always consider myself as exotic hahaha. And where we chose to live is really our choice. He is not a VISA seeker and neither am I LOL.

It just worked out better for me to come there and I am so excited to finally leave for a real vacation. Please don't make silly assumptions.

Go with ur heart honey !!! if it feells right.u will know.heart will tell u.remember one thing.LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR REGRETS.BE HAPPY,AND LIVE ,LAUGH ,AND LOVE.cherish every moment !I had a 1800 distance LDR.it ended but i do not regret it.take a chance,meet him,if it seems right ....be with him.Yes distance is not for everyone,and it can put a strain on relationship.The distance has to have an end in sight.u either move one day there or he is coming here.everything else ,again,just be positive.

Five years?? Thats to long but I wish you nothing but the best!!

Thanks! And yeah 5 years went by so fast but it is a blessing how things have happened. We have both grown up alot and matured, we met when I was just 23. I was not ready for a serious relationship and neither was he. In that time we have gotten to know each other as friends. We have been there for each other with family members passing, loosing jobs, getting new ones and other major heath problems. In that time he got a bum knee and now I have a bum foot lol.

The most important thing is we have developed a great deal respect for each other along the way.

Everything happens for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

i had an online boyfriend for 6yrs.. we met about 3 yrs in.. it was the greatest time/feeling/ weird thing that ever happened to me. we don't talk anymore & weve both moved on, but i truly do hold him dear in my heart as he was also a great friend, my first love & everything..

Archived