Craigslist and dating?

cupcake22

craigslist is no more dangerous then a dating site like plenty of fish or okcupid or eharmony. Just do the normaly things you would do. Meet in a public place, let someone know where you are going to be and what you are going to be doing.

People meet off line all the time the greatest danger you have is being bored or not attracted to the person you are meeting.

I don't know Rose ... I think because Craigslist has the intimate encounters/no strings attached section that it might attract more people who are not ready for a healthy relationship or who are more interested in sexual exhibitions than eHarmony.

I met my second and third boyfriends via Craigslist. I met my current on OKCupid. The difference seems vast in my opinion (in favor of OKCupid). Just my experience though.

I don't know Rose ... I think because Craigslist has the intimate encounters/no strings attached section that it might attract more people who are not ready for a healthy relationship or who are more interested in sexual exhibitions than eHarmony.

I met my second and third boyfriends via Craigslist. I met my current on OKCupid. The difference seems vast in my opinion (in favor of OKCupid). Just my experience though.

Yeah but that doesn't mean they aren't safe. Anyone who is planning on causing harm can just as easily use okcuipd. It might not attract as many people looking for long term relationships but that doesn't mean they are going to cause harm in any way. And that is all *might*, every person is different.

I think you're more likely to meet a crazy-creep on Craigslist ("The Craigslist Killer") than on a secure dating site that costs $$. (Doesn't eHarmony cost the most? I doubt a weirdo will blow $200 knowing he will get caught on such a secure website vs. a free online ad.)

Still, OP, that doesn't mean you're guarenteed to meet someone bad via Craigslist. If you want to go through with it, meet in a public place and let people know where you are.

Actually there was a case a little while ago where a woman met up with a guy she met on a legit paid dating site and he raped her. It stemmed a lot of "dating sites need to do background checks" stuff. Of course, anyone, including someone with a completely clean background could rape someone so with that being said...I wouldn't say craigslist is any more dangerous than any online dating site so just be safe I guess.

I think you're more likely to meet a crazy-creep on Craigslist ("The Craigslist Killer") than on a secure dating site that costs $$. (Doesn't eHarmony cost the most? I doubt a weirdo will blow $200 knowing he will get caught on such a secure website vs. a free online ad.)

Still, OP, that doesn't mean you're guarenteed to meet someone bad via Craigslist. If you want to go through with it, meet in a public place and let people know where you are.

I agree that the creep factor could happen on any site whether it be craigslist, OkCupid, or a pay site. The only section I'd completely avoid on Craigslist is the "casual encounters" one. For the dating section, I'd treat the situation the same as meeting someone off any other dating site (public place, etc., what everyone else said).

I live in DC and apparently a lot of professionals here write missed connection ads to those they meet on the metro. I've gotten 2 missed connection ads written for me that I know of; admittedly I decided to meet one guy up because we had had a conversation on the train about our jobs, college, family etc... but he never asked for my number so I thought he had a girlfriend. I never expected much, went out for drinks, and it was truly a missed connection because there was no chemistry - "nothing great, nothing horrible" kind of date. Also, nothing creepy happened and I'm still alive, but god, who would try Craig's List specially for dating? I think you'd better off signing up for a dating site for better audiences/selection and peace of mind lol.

I know of a married couple who met on craigslist. This was years before the "craigslist killer" incident, but that was through the "intimate encounters" section or whatever section they got rid of after that poor woman was killed. Still I think it has tainted craigslist as a dangerous place to meet people.

Also, even when you look at the "men seeking women" section under Personals, there are tons of sex-seeking ads interspersed with more routine personals ads. Why they don't put these ads under Casual Encounters? Maybe they think they have a better chance putting it under Personals. So you really have to weed through. OKCupid also has a few of these types but not as many.

It doesn't matter where you meet them as much as it matters who they are. You can meet a crazy just about anywhere.

^ Yup.

If your gut tells you not to meet this person - don't.

If you do, take the normal precautions you would - let your friends know you're going out. Don't have them pick you up at home, meet in a neutral place, etc.

Has anyone ever met someone off of Craigslist? I know it's pretty sketchy and can be dangerous, but I found someone that wants to meet me. I'm not sure if I should go through with it though.

I'd ask yourself 3 questions:

1. Do you smoke pot?

2. Do you have large amounts of money you'd like to lend someone?

3. Are you interested in acquiring new types of sexually transmitted diseases?

If the answer to any of these questions is "No" then Craigslist dating is not for you.

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about a random thing like a murderer, but hoping to meet a good match on Craigslist resembles playing a lottery where no one knows whether a jackpot really exists.

Too many dodgy people on sites like Craiglist and Gumtree. Trust me I have stories aplenty AND not even from dating (as I've never used it for that), from just your regular selling and buying of stuff. Oh and recently I put up an ad for 'band members wanted', and aside from positive responses, what do I get? Three guys apparently from Pakistan asking if I'm lonely and want to meet up...

Cha man..

Too many dodgy people on sites like Craiglist and Gumtree. Trust me I have stories aplenty AND not even from dating (as I've never used it for that), from just your regular selling and buying of stuff. Oh and recently I put up an ad for 'band members wanted', and aside from positive responses, what do I get? Three guys apparently from Pakistan asking if I'm lonely and want to meet up...

Cha man..

Hahaha, I posted an ad "selling" myself for JOBS and I just got random messages asking me to meet. They didn't say they were from a company or anything. Needless to say, I didn't answer.

Archived