Did You Ever Feel Like You Knew Someone Practically Forever

Silverbirch

I have had "relationship" with current man in my life for seven months now though have been acquaintance and friends with him longer. I constantly remind myself we are still getting to know each other, but something I don't think I have experienced before is a feeling as though I've known him for a very long time.

He seems to have an uncanny knack for being able to "read me". There have been a few times when I've been a bit upset about things I haven't discussed with him and yet, not only has he known that something is wrong, he has actually put his finger on exactly what has upset me - things that haven't even had anything to do with him. My ex was a psychologist, supposedly very good at reading people and he always assumed he knew what I was thinking and how I felt about just about anything and everything - a total delusion due to probably to his professional arrogance. He was usually wrong.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I didn't have this sense of knowing someone for a long time or them being tuned into me like that with any of my exes. Is it a common delusion related to emotions or sometimes can people just connect that well. What do you think?

People can connect that well. I have that w/ my bf as well --- I don't even have to articulate something ---he just gets me. And I him. He will say something, and I will extrapolate from just a sentence where he is going, and sort of what he is feeling....and he will look at me and say "exactly."

I think part of it is being tuned into the other, part of it is the well spring of life experience at our age -- and part of it is having had that underlying friendship that the relationship is based on.

No matter what you call it or how you reason it --- it feels incredible to have someone know and beyond that, accept the "real" you, doesnt it?!!

You are absolutely gaga for this guy haha. Not that that's a problem.

But to answer the question, yes my ex, we fit together perfectly and were so very alike, seemed like we knew what the other was thinking and all that. Of course that can lead to complacency, which was one problem, so don't lose yourselves to one another, keep both yourself and the relationship!

People can connect that well. I have that w/ my bf as well --- I don't even have to articulate something ---he just gets me. And I him. He will say something, and I will extrapolate from just a sentence where he is going, and sort of what he is feeling....and he will look at me and say "exactly."

I think part of it is being tuned into the other, part of it is the well spring of life experience at our age -- and part of it is having had that underlying friendship that the relationship is based on.

No matter what you call it or how you reason it --- it feels incredible to have someone know and beyond that, accept the "real" you, doesnt it?!!

Thanks Mhowe, pleased to read that such a common sense and practical person such as yourself has experienced this also. What you say makes sense to me. Sometimes I will have my guard up not wanting to give things away, but he always seems to see through that. Yes, it does feel great.

LOL Duke, yeah, I'm gaga. Still, I'm not going to lose myself or take crap. Funny thing is that when I've announced that I'm not changing somethings about myself that other men in the past have not liked, he gets this big smile on his face, and says, "I like everything about you . . . except that you still are smoking cigarettes, and I will NEVER like that."

I have even more of my own friends and interests since I've been with him, and I love it when he sees his friends and does the things he likes to do. We don't need to be shadows or twins to each other. We were actually saying last night how easy it is that we both have supposedly different political views - he is a paid member of a political party I would never vote for. I don't belong to any party and never will, but it doesn't matter to either of us. He can believe whatever he wants about how the country should be run.

Still, I'm cautious. I'm not going to take the sort of rubbish I have in the past and it's still only seven months.

Thanks Mhowe, pleased to read that such a common sense and practical person such as yourself has experienced this also. What you say makes sense to me. Sometimes I will have my guard up not wanting to give things away, but he always seems to see through that. Yes, it does feel great

Common sense and practical --- honey, if you only knew me!!! Stop worrying about the guard -- that is old baggage. Just keep doing what you are doing --- maintain your own independence and enjoy time together. We have been together 2.5 yrs and it just keeps getting better.

All the best!

Hi Miss Gemini, we cross-posted. I'll read your posts.

Hi Markie, don't know if it was "instant". He told me that for him it was: "Love at second site - because the first time he met me, he hardly got to speak to me or look at me because he was with his boss - who introduced us and was on the job."

Thanks Mhowe, pleased to read that such a common sense and practical person such as yourself has experienced this also. What you say makes sense to me. Sometimes I will have my guard up not wanting to give things away, but he always seems to see through that. Yes, it does feel great

Common sense and practical --- honey, if you only knew me!!! Stop worrying about the guard -- that is old baggage. Just keep doing what you are doing --- maintain your own independence and enjoy time together. We have been together 2.5 yrs and it just keeps getting better.

All the best!

LOL and thank you Mhowe.

Yes I had that with my ex. When I first met him I felt like I had known him forever, like we'd played together as children. He also said he felt the same, that he had seen me walk away and looked at the back of my neck and that he 'recognised' me. I felt he could see through my BS and I could see through him too. I already knew then, this guy has the capacity to really hurt me. We had a very deep connection and lots in common.

Enjoy it, I am very happy for you

yes me and my BF have this too, he just gets me like no one ever has and he actually says he thinks we know each other from a previous life and were therefore drawn to each other, cause the circumstances we met are so weird and coincidental....i have a feeling he was brought on my path for some reason and he feels the same....enjoy it!!

I would feel very connected to my recent g/f like hand in glove or w/e metaphor suits being in sync. But after my 7 months I found that it was all rather flimsy and pretty expendable to her--especially round PMS time. In her last bout she up and disposed of me as if we shared nothing--no "friend zones" me to ease her conscience and throw me some pity attention. You never know. We just feel and let ourselves believe and hope we're right. I don't want to be this wrong again. But it felt very very right when it was good.

Archived