what is the norm?

ChellyV

this guy i have dated for the past 2 months has gone on vacation for 10 days. it is the 8th day and no word from him yet, no emails, no nothing. i am beginning to feel i may never hear from him again. while i am quite sad about it, it is no biggie. however he will be arriving monday and might call or drop by. how do i handle this?

You can always write a friendly e-mail or text saying hi, hoping he's having a great time, and say something like you saw the city he is visiting on the news (or you saw a documentary on tv or whatever) and you thought of him. try not to worry.

I wouldn't worry. While it would be nice to hear from your significant other while they're away on vacation, to me it's not a big deal if you don't. They're on vacation after all. However, it really depends on the type of relationship and your style of communication, etc. Did he say he would write?

I don't see why you two couldn't talk even if it's just for a few minutes. Just because your on vacation doesn't mean that you can't pick the phone up, even if it's a couple seconds. Or how about an email or a text every now and then. That takes no time at all. When someone really wants to talk, they talk and when they don't they find ways not to. If he hasn't called by day 8, I doubt he will on 9 or 10.

If you have just been dating him a short time of 8 weeks and he planned this before he met you, I would not be particularly alarmed, especially if he is far away and especially if it was not established if he would call. There are also different intensities of relationships at 2 months. Some people are just casually dating and getting to know eachother, while other have experienced whirlwind situations. I would either just wait until he got back and if he didn't call within a bit (not the day his plane lands!0, call him and tell him you hope he had a nice vacation and you are looking forward to hearing about it, or like what was suggested, send a friendly email - maybe a picture or joke you know he'd like and also say "hope you are having a great time, i thought you'd like this one... if you guys send things to eachother normally).

I don't think after 2 months you have to "play the game" of wait and see to see if he calls you. Do what you feel. He on the other hand could be thinking the same "why isn't she calling me." But like I say, I wouldn't worry. If you were with him a year and he didn't call, i'd worry.

It's always nice to know you are on someone's mind, even when they are on vacation. That said, there could be a number of reasons you haven't heard from him. (And I agree with FathomFear...sometimes a vacation is the only chance we get to unplug from the world - literally). Because there isn't a lot of time invested in your relationship at this point, and expectations of communication may not have been discussed or established yet, I would just wait and see how things go when he gets home. Give him a couple days and then give him a friendly call/text if you don't hear from him first.

thank you all.

we were on dating quite exclusively but i made it clear that i want to get to know him first. as you know, i am on ENA due to a tumultous 2 year relationship that ended on november and i would say i am still healing, or so i think.

this guy has an ex who is based off that place he went on vacation to, so there is a lot of doubt right now lingering in my head, specially that he didn't tell me what kind of relationship they have since they have kids together. and he did promise me he will call everyday. i just think it is a red flag violating such trust and expectations early in a relationship.

i do not find myself too emotionally attached to this person yet so i am quite thankful these things happened now that it did. i am at a better footing of whether to pursue dating or not. i just want to be prepared when the time comes he would make contact. personally, i think it was so uncool not to have even dropped a text or email.

Archived