Isn't striking a child with a belt or hand in anger heading towards abuse?

yeawutever

People that have been taught that disciplining should not be via physical abuse, rarely if ever decide to discipline in such a way. I know of no one that was taught to not hit but decided it was the right way for them to discipline their children, I'm yet to meet someone like that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People that have been taught that disciplining should not be via physical abuse, rarely if ever decide to discipline in such a way. I know of no one that was taught to not hit but decided it was the right way for them to discipline their children, I'm yet to meet someone like that.

Simply because you have not met them does not mean they do not exist. I admit, it's rare, there are only a handful of people out of everyone in my life who did this that I know of. Again, the key word is 'rarely' - not 'never'.

'Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.' MLK

To me spanking is violence. I was never spanked and would never spank a child. It's simply wrong minded to me. I haven't read this entire thread nor want to. I abhor violence especially towards the innocent. I personally cannot fathom any reasonable argument for violence towards a child. Just an opinion.

'Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.' MLK

To me spanking is violence. I was never spanked and would never spank a child. It's simply wrong minded to me. I haven't read this entire thread nor want to. I abhor violence especially towards the innocent. I personally cannot fathom any reasonable argument for violence towards a child. Just an opinion.

Agreed, voice of reason.

Great quote by the way.

First time I see a male poster that is also against this type of ''discipline''. Usually it's the men that are almost all the time into ''I'll teach him/her the hard way'' and directly goes on applying corporal punishment while we're trying to use reasoning & logic into it.

Emotional scarring doesn't even come into it for me. The whole "oh but I got smacked as a kid and I grew up fine" argument I find completely meaningless. It doesn't justify the act. If someone was sexually assaulted as a child but grew up to have a healthy sexual attitude, you don't then go say that sexual assault did not exist or wasn't that bad. However, this is the widespread attitude towards violence in the name of "discipline".

Archived