Would you date a felon or someone with a criminal past??

Debra_Wilson

What do you all think about dating someone with a felony?(non violent)

And if a person has a felony, when would be a good time to tell others?

Would you yourself date someone with a felony?

Do you think non violent felons deserve love too?

Please no bashing..I am just curious to the responses in this thread.

It would depend on the crime, the reason for the crime, if they had paid their time, if they are now penitent and have changed their life. Would I tell others? I don't know. I think all people deserve love, however love does not mean they do not have to pay for what they have done.

It would depend on the circumstances and the age at which the felony was committed. If it was a stupid teenager thing and they'd stayed out of trouble and were well into adulthood, it wouldn't bother me.

Or it is was something like a freak accident where the person can still be convicted (as in involuntary manslaugther if there was a car accident where it was deemed the person's fault).

But I would definitely research the person before I took their word for it. Court documents are public records unless sealed by the judge (which they rarely do), so i'd research what happened before I went forward with it, to make sure they weren't lying about the circumstances or their history.

But if a person had active and repeated felonies, i doubt I'd do it.

I agree with everyone else.. If it was over, paid for, and in the past I would consider it. I don't think I'd go as far as researching their history though... That seems over the top since I wouldn't do that to someone who hadn't committed some kind of crime and I feel like you'd be started off a relationship without trust already.

In all honesty, probably not. Though thinking about someone I worked for and really respect was convicted of ABH (I think? or maybe GBH) some years ago and he's a great guy. So I think I'd treat it as a "No - unless you can prove you're not a headcase"

BTW, not everybody with a criminal past will tell you they've got a criminal past, so those saying they wouldn't, may not even know.

I assumed when the OP asked the question, she meant IF we KNEW the guy had a criminal past, would we date them. If that's the case, then I stand by my original post.

Depends on you. Normally I don't care as I tend to hang out with the wild crowd anyway. If it comes up we'll talk about it and sometimes that works out well and sometimes I find out way after the relationship is over. Maybe its just me but it was never an issue.

However, if your trust radar goes off you might spend a few bucks doing a little research, plenty of firms on the net that will do it for a fee.

Probably not for these reasons and it really depends on the crime

1.)Felons are probably out of the question ,If he's been in jail for serious crimes like murder,rape,child molestation,kidnapping,burglary.. I don't think I could look past it and honestly I'd be too fearful that they will go back to their old ways and start doing what they used to do. Especially with a murderer or a rapist, I'd run so far away from this type of person.. People like that usually have a few screws lose and I'm not sure jail can change them unless they get some counseling or something.

2.) With felons it will be hard for them to get a decent job and a lot of their rights will be taken away, I don't even think they have the privilege to have a drivers license. It would be too much of a struggle having something longterm with a felon. I would probably have to support them and take care of them and that's just too much. How will he support me if he can't get a real job? Going to school would be pointless because a lot of jobs won't hire felons unless he runs his own LEGAL business.

If it's small crimes like Misdemeanors and depending on what they did.. I think I could look past it... Felons are out of the question..

Everybody makes mistakes.

A misdeamnor, perhaps. But a felony is a very serious charge on your record; doesn't have to be violent.

Maybe. It would depend on whether or not the person changed. I have a friend that had 14 felonies are her record. (She got them all expunged) She can't believe that she used to leave her children to do drugs. Now she is a counselor for drug abuse. My friendship with her definitely changed my outlook on the subject that this thread is about. The trick is to determine if the change is genuine. If it is, I believe in forgiveness and second chances...

Archived