Experiences with IUD

rosephase

I had the paragarud put in a week ago. The insertion was very uncomfortable but I had almost no cramping after and the next day I was fine not taking any pain medication and walked about seven miles no problem. So last night was the first time I’ve had sex with it in the sex wasn’t horribly rough and I did have an orgasm (first time with coming since I had it put in so I’m not sure if it was the sex or the orgasm) and I woke up in the middle of the night pretty uncomfortable this morning it still felt crampy but I took some Tylenol and now it feels fine.

I was wondering about women who have had IUDs if they dealt with something similar and how long the pain after sex lasted for them?

I don't recall any pain after sex after getting mine put in. I think I waited about a week too, though I can't remember exactly. I've had Paragard for nearly 3 years now. I did have some on and off cramping for the next 2-3 weeks after insertion. Very similar to period cramps though often not even that bad. Everyone is different, I'm sure your uterus was still uncomfortable from the insertion and being bumped around by sex.

Sounds like it's been mostly smooth sailing for you, though. I hope it works for you. It's officially my favorite birth control method.

I had some cramping the first couple times I had sex, but it wasn't anything too bad, I took some Ibuprofen and went on as normal. I didn't have much cramping after the insertion and the insertion itself wasn't too bad, it felt more like someone was pinching my cervix. I had to laugh when the doctor said, "I'm glad you didn't overreact". It really made me wonder what the last women did to make him say that.

I love my IUD! I don't have menstrual cramps and my periods are super light if I even have one. I only wish I had one earlier.

I have the Mirena IUD. I actually felt it inside me for a while. It took some getting used to. It was a very uncomfortable sensation and I felt like every time I sat down I felt it even more and it would hurt and I would cramp. It was almost as if my body wanted to reject it. It felt like someone punched me in the uterus. I can say that with certaintly because when I was pregnant my son actually was punching and drop-kicking me in the uterus on a daily basis and having Mirena caused a similar feeling of OUCH. I would get twinges of pain.

At one point the sensation of Mirena being there was so bad that my doc did an ultrasound to be sure everything was ok. The Mirena was where it should be and all was fine. It has gotten much better with time because I am used to Mirena being there- but when I first got it- I was uncomfortable for 6 months and did feel it. I almost wanted to have it taken out but I figured I should give it more time. Sex would hurt sometimes, during and afterwards. An orgasm itself can cause cramping while you adjust to an IUD because orgams actually make your uterus contract.

After a while though all of those side effects went away and I don't feel it anymore at all and never have an issue. Mirena also caused my period to disappear completely. I haven't had to deal with a period for 2 years now and once I got over pregnancy paranoia (after wasting a lot of money on pregnancy tests every month) and realized I just don't have a cycle anymore and it doesn't mean I am pregnant it has been GREAT!) I love having an IUD- reliable, thoughtless birth control that lasts for years. They are worth the side effects in the beginning.

Hi,

I have a Flexi-T IUD, it is a copper one. I had bad pain when it was inserted, I also almost fainted afterward, which is apparently normal. I cramped up for a few weeks, and bleed for three weeks afterward. Sex was not uncomfortable at all, which was good because I was worried it would be.

The only problem I have with it now is that my periods are super long, like two weeks, My doctor told me to give it a few months and hopefully my periods will become more normal. I have only had it for 2 months.

I had an IUD put in 4 yrs ago, I bled for a few days, the 1st 2 periods I had afterwards were heavier than normal, but besides this, everyhing was exactly the same as before I had the IUD, and still now. LOVE my paragard! Best birth control on the market in my opionion.

Archived