C-sections

tinkerbellkj

I am almost 36 weeks pregnant now, and my doctor just scheduled me for a c-section on April 4th. The reason for it is mainly because the baby is breech, and also because I ended up with gestational diabetes (completely diet controlled) thank God!

The baby is big, they estimated him at 6 pounds and 5 oz at just under 34 weeks via ultrasound (which I know can be off a pound or more), and I honestly think he has made serious attempts to flip himself (odd movements, going lower, but always ending up back up high) but it's not working. The doctor felt his head in my side this morning and said he was "too damn big" to flip, which is probably true! I'll have another sonogram at 38 weeks to confirm, but it looks like a c-section is it.

Does anyone have any tips for recovery afterwards? I've had major surgery before, so I'm well aware of effects of surgery, and honestly it does make me nervous. My mom is flying down for 2 weeks, plus I have my in laws, and of course my husband who are more than willing to help with baby, but of course I will want to be with my little guy as much as possible!

Any tips or advice would be great, I can't believe he'll be here before I know it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, you must be so excited!! He might turn, you never know. I have not had a C section so there is not much advice I can give you, but I am excited for you

He might! The doctor said that we can just cancel the c-section if he can turn his pudgy little butt around! We are very excited, we're moving (just accross town) in April/May (greaaatt timing, I know!) and I can just see the wheels in my husbands head turning, trying to figure out if can get it completely done before the baby, but I doubt it! But, it's nice to have a tentative date, even though a c-section isn't the most ideal of situations.

Yes, I have heard of that. My doctor didn't say anything about it, though. I have to go weekly now so I will ask her. I also have tried the techniques from Spinning Babies, but it hasn't helped yet. I really do think the poor little guy is trying, he's just so freaking big! So I want to be as prepped for the c-section if it does occur.

Big babies can be born naturally, my grandpa was 13 lbs. born at home (granted that was how it was done then but still he survived for 67 years and his mother did as well). Big is no excuse to have a c-section in my opinion and I'm not a doctor just a person who fights hard for natural childbirth. Both mine were natural, I was born via c-section though it was a terrible delivery for my mother she nearly died was revived by the heart shocker things. But breech you would definitely want a c-section. Though I've seen them born naturally via the show I didn't know I was pregnant.

Hopefully your baby turns, it's tough recovery is all I've heard about c-sections.

I did not have a tough recovery from my emergency c-section -was tired/sore the first few days but otherwise all I recall is that my scar got slightly infected and I needed to take a few antibiotics. I was 42 when I had it -first major surgery.

You never know, the boy my wife had for the surrogacy did turn the week before. She ended up with the c-section anyway as they estimated the baby to be fairly big.

I just remember the first four days she was struggling a lot in doing anything from the pain. The first couple days seemed really rough as she was practically drugged up and exhausted. I guess it depends on the mom. Even though my wife has a very high tolerance for pain she prefers natural birth; if the choice is given again.

Big babies can be born naturally, my grandpa was 13 lbs. born at home (granted that was how it was done then but still he survived for 67 years and his mother did as well). Big is no excuse to have a c-section in my opinion and I'm not a doctor just a person who fights hard for natural childbirth. Both mine were natural, I was born via c-section though it was a terrible delivery for my mother she nearly died was revived by the heart shocker things. But breech you would definitely want a c-section. Though I've seen them born naturally via the show I didn't know I was pregnant.

Hopefully your baby turns, it's tough recovery is all I've heard about c-sections.

The problem with natural birth with big babies nowadays is shoulder dystotia. I guess it's a big topic among OB/GYN as the risk associated with SD is pretty serious ranging from short term injuries, permanent injuries and even death. We really weighed in all the options in that sense. Our daughter had a very minor form of SD where her right arm was weak for about three weeks. I mean she was almost 10 lbs and got stuck at the cheek so you can only imagine how much pushing/pulling was done to get her out. Seeing that, my wife's current OB/GYN really didn't give her a choice with the last Ultrasound. Too many risks involved.

The problem with natural birth with big babies nowadays is shoulder dystotia. I guess it's a big topic among OB/GYN as the risk associated with SD is pretty serious ranging from short term injuries, permanent injuries and even death. We really weighed in all the options in that sense. Our daughter had a very minor form of SD where her right arm was weak for about three weeks. I mean she was almost 10 lbs and got stuck at the cheek so you can only imagine how much pushing/pulling was done to get her out. Seeing that, my wife's current OB/GYN really didn't give her a choice with the last Ultrasound. Too many risks involved.

Yes, that is my concern as well, because he is estimated to be 9-10 pounder (lucky me!) part of that could be the gestational diabetes or part might be because I just have big babies, because my GD is completely under control, and I've never had a baby before, it's kind of hard to tell why. Right now I need to prep myself for a c-section because that has been the route decided at this point. If he decides to turn, and the sonogram shows his growth has slowed and my doctor thinks it is safe, I will absolutely try for a natural birth. I do trust my doctor, and do believe she has my best interest at heart. She said herself a c-section can easily be canceled if things change, just for now it's the path I'm on.

I think you are doing the right thing for your baby to go for a c section if it is decided to be safest and least traumatic for bubba! Getting bogged down in 'natural childbirth' isn't always the way to go- it's more important the situation is safe and controlled for your little one!

I have never had major surgery like that but I think it just takes time and patience! Don't force yourself into a speedy recovery to be 'super-mum'!! Let those around you support you for a few weeks. Don't underestimate how tough those first days will be, but just relax, be looked after and after a few weeks you'll be able to get back into the swing of things!!

I think you are doing the right thing for your baby to go for a c section if it is decided to be safest and least traumatic for bubba! Getting bogged down in 'natural childbirth' isn't always the way to go- it's more important the situation is safe and controlled for your little one!

I have never had major surgery like that but I think it just takes time and patience! Don't force yourself into a speedy recovery to be 'super-mum'!! Let those around you support you for a few weeks. Don't underestimate how tough those first days will be, but just relax, be looked after and after a few weeks you'll be able to get back into the swing of things!!

Thanks, Bella!! Your little guy will be here soon, too!!

My son was a planned c-section. He was almost 10lbs. First, a scheduled c-section is less stressful than an emergency c-section. You have time to prepare mentally, get the right dose of anesthesia and it will not wear off from hours of labor, your mind and body will have the capacity to better deal with it since you are not being rushed in exhausted or with you or the baby in physical danger. The doc will also be more relaxed and able to take his/her time with precision so you are less likely to have any mishaps. So even though any surgery can be scary I think you will find that it is not a nightmare when it is planned and you know what to expect and the atmosphere is not rushed or dangerous.

When I had my c-section the room was very relaxed and calm and I felt like my son's entrance into the world was very peaceful.

I am so glad you will have help afterwards- you will need it. My advice would be:

*Stay in the hospital for as long as you can- if you are given the option for an early discharge don't take it- the care of the nurses (both your nurses and the infant nurses) is so helpful and comforting and having every meal sent to you is not something you will have at home. Also take advantage of sending the baby to the nursery so you can rest.

*Don't lift anything heavier than the baby and don't try to do too much. Let your husband or the nurses hand the baby to you while you recover, etiehr sitting or reclined. If you have help there is no need to be holding the baby while walking or standing the first few days

*Use a pillow to hold against your stomach when you stand up from a seated position- use your arms to stand up and not your core

*Take all the pain meds they offer, and on time. Do not try to be "brave". You need to stay on top of your pain meds- especially the 2nd day once the spinal anesthesia wears off- you will be very sore the 2nd day.

*Get up and try to walk with the assistance of the nurses as soon as they are willing to let you try- but do not do too much- you need to walk ASAP to promote healing, but accross the room a few times a day is enough. Do not overdo it. I can't stress that enough (DO NOT vacuum one week after a c-section like I did!!! )

*Accept ALL help at home once you are discharged. Rest whenever possible and don't forget to take care of yourself along with that little (well not so little ) bundle.....who sounds like one chubby little adorable darling. One benefit to a "big" baby is their adorable rolls and cheeks. Those 0-3 month clothes may not fit or only fit for a week lol. My son started off wearing 3-6 month outfits.

Thank you!!! This was extremely helpful!! I can't believe your son was in 3-6 months from the beginning, that is too funny! I guess I will have to try to dress him in as many 0-3s as I can while he is still "small enough" haha. Thank goodness I didn't buy but one or two newborn things, because it sounds like Mr. Chunk will not be wearing them! And yes, fat babies are just too cute, my little guy already has fat rolls, they showed me on the sonogram, and the sonographer could not stop laughing!

At first I felt entirely overwhelmed (my entire family looks like they are flying up!) with having so many "helpers" but my husband keeps reminding me that I will need and want them once I get home. It's just kind of scary because not only are you dealing with being a new mom, but also major surgery, but I know I'll get through it!

Yes, that is my concern as well, because he is estimated to be 9-10 pounder (lucky me!) part of that could be the gestational diabetes or part might be because I just have big babies, because my GD is completely under control, and I've never had a baby before, it's kind of hard to tell why. Right now I need to prep myself for a c-section because that has been the route decided at this point. If he decides to turn, and the sonogram shows his growth has slowed and my doctor thinks it is safe, I will absolutely try for a natural birth. I do trust my doctor, and do believe she has my best interest at heart. She said herself a c-section can easily be canceled if things change, just for now it's the path I'm on.

That's good, hopefully he'll turn! We just went with our OB/GYN as much as she felt natural birth was possible but by the time the last Ultrasound was done it was 50/50 chance he'll be bigger than they estimate (or small).

Good luck with everything though I'm sure either way you go your doc knows what's best for you and the baby

My experience with a c-section was not a pleasant one and will like to try to avoid one this time around at all costs. The recovery was just awful!

I have known women that had a natural childbirth that their baby didn't turn until the very last minute, when they were already ready to push.

Congrats on your baby!!

My niece has had 3 c-sections. Not fun or pretty. If you have to, you have to, but I would avoid it if at all possible. She now has a real pooched out belly that has never gone away, no matter how many hours she spends in the gym. This appeared after her first c-section. She used to be slim and had a cute shape. That ended that.

I had an emergency csection 4 weeks ago and I'm really happy with my experience. My daughter was born 6 weeks early due to complications. I had severe preeclampsia which attributed to her having very low amniotic fluid. I was placed on hospital bed rest the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy. I wanted to try for a vaginal birth, and my doctors permitted it since she was head down from 28 weeks on.

They started the pitocin and once the second contraction hit my daughter's heart rate plummeted. They rushed my husband and I into surgery, and prepped me. I was terrified of getting an epidural, but in the end it wasn't so bad. I had to have a catheter as well. I was so against the epidural I asked them to do the catheter before the epidural, in hopes that I could talk them out of the epidural. Don't make my same mistake! LOL the catheter insertion hurt worlds worse than the epidural did! In fact the epidural was more of a shock than pain. It felt like they were snapping legos into my back or something weird like that.

My next fear was that I wouldn't be completely numb and would feel them cutting into me. Before they started the procedure they ran an instrument along my stomach in several spots, asking if I could feel this or that. I felt nothing, so my mind was put at ease. During the procedure I did start to feel a sensation like tugging, but the anesthesiologist was sitting next to my head and noticed my hand spasming in my husband's hand.

I didn't feel any pain, so I didn't want to ask for the epidural to be raised but he could tell that I was feeling *something* so he raised the levels for me. I was grateful and didn't even realize I was trying to be brave. From that point on I felt nothing, until they removed the baby. I even spoke to the anesthesiologist about his years of service in the military as a medical professional and some pretty cool stories he had about different countries.

The first day and a half is hard for me to remember, they had me on Magnesium to protect against seizures during and after birth. I didn't need any pain medication because the Magnesium had me so out of it.

The second night I really needed the pain medication for the first time, but like an idiot (once again!) I attempted to be brave and didn't take it. I didn't want any medicine in my breastmilk, at all. I had a terrible night sleep because of it. I was just asleep enough that I was unaware that the pain was causing the discomfort but not asleep enough to get any rest. I took the pain medicine around 5am, after a near mental breakdown due to discomfort and pain, and slept like a baby for a few hours.

For the next few days I took my pain medicine on time. Based on my experience, I would recommend taking the full dose at least the second and third nights so you can get a decent night of sleep. During the day I took half a dose but I had to promise my nurses that I would call them for the rest of the dose if I had any hint of pain.

I do remember coughing and laughing pulled and hurt, so have a pillow close by just in case. Walking helped me loads! I walked down to the NICU and back several times a day, holding onto a wheelchair just in case, and I believe that is why I didn't need as much pain medication and I healed up pretty quickly too.

If my husband and I decide to have more children I will definitely elect to have another csection. It was easy on my daughter, and my recovery wasn't nearly as hard as I expected.

My niece has had 3 c-sections. Not fun or pretty. If you have to, you have to, but I would avoid it if at all possible. She now has a real pooched out belly that has never gone away, no matter how many hours she spends in the gym. This appeared after her first c-section. She used to be slim and had a cute shape. That ended that.

I could be your niece. LOL Everything you said fit me to a 'T'.

I second all of BellaDonna's advice. I had a crash c-section after 26 hours of labor and it was a very painful and difficult recovery for me. I'm shooting for a VBAC this time. Rest, rest, rest, don't lift anything heavier than baby, take it easy on stairs, do walk, slowly, every day, and rise from a lying and sitting position using your arms vs. your abdominal muscles.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I almost had to have one and refused. The doctor stomped out and the midwife and me had a nice time joking with each other while I had a wonderful, natural childbirth. I have just seen too many bad recoveries from C-sections, no thanks. If you have to have one, do it, but don't let some fool doctor falsely talk you into one. They do that sometimes when they want to "hurry things along."

Archived