Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver's Seat

Seraphim

I am so frustrated.

Well ,another roadblock why am I not surprised? I met with the lady from community assessment services and she said most likely my son will not qualify for anything from the DSO or the ODSP. She said he is simply too high functioning. He's in the 13th percentile and they have to be in the 2nd percentile or lower for functionality. So we might privately have to pay for a worker and ABA privately. She did put in an application to the DSO though and if it's rejected I can appeal. She said he may later qualify because he can't write or if he crashes and burns as far as anxiety goes.

She said again too that we've done exceptional job as parents and we have helped to make him very very high functioning. But due to the fact of his own skills and the fact that we've done an exceptional job as parents and I instinctively knew how to help him that yeah we may not get any support.?

She did put in an intake for him though so MAYBE he might get into ABA with them.

I am also registered for parental ABA.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is super frustrating. ugh.

I am so frustrated Annie ,it's unbelievable. I am just having crushing chest pain on the regular basis. I feel like I'm going to die of a heart attack or stroke.

I just got a call back from the lady and she said we could have a 3 year wait for funding IF he meets criteria.

So basically if he's competent enough to be a mcdonalds janitor, then no support? (No offense to janitors out there - that is a worthy job) but basically as long as he can work any job, no benefits, right?

I think that is their logic ,yes. But the point is he has to find something that interests him or he won't stick with it. It is the limited interest thing. But his adaptability to change is extremely low.

So really the functionality being 13% they wouldn't be looking at other features where he's much lower.

Wow ,I had a much better sleep last night! I think some of the problems I was having was with my asthma. My chest was becoming pretty filled with mucus again. So I took my inhaled medications and I feel much better. I brought up a lot of the mucus that was stuck in my chest. I had a really solid solid dead as a door nail sleep too. So I would say my stress level is probably a one right now.

About 7 years ago I almost cut the tip of my left thumb off. As a result I had a numb thumb from the first knuckle up but feeling came back over a year to most of my thumb except for the very tip. The nerves growing back and reconnecting was really painful. Now the very tip has all lot of pain in it when I touch it to things . Maybe something is coming back?

My son came home distressed from school yesterday. It seems that on Thursday there was a substitute teacher where he works for Co Op. So the kids of course we're trying to give the teacher a run for their money. One child in particular just would not behave. So he told the child to sit down and listen to the teacher. The kid ran home and told his mommy that my son was "mean." Which is hilarious my son doesn't have a mean bone in his body. And if sit down and listen to the teacher is "mean " boy kid you've got some serious issues coming to you. So then the principal had to talk to my son because the little boy's mommy came running to the school about the mean boy who told her son to sit down. Oh boo-hoo.

Anyway after work Monday morning I have to go see what the issue is. He was probably being strict like I am but in no way mean. But in schools everybody's a special little snowflake these days.

Archived