Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver's Seat

Seraphim

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little R and I got our flu shots. They said they only 60% to 80% effective. Woohoo? They had us hang around for 15 minutes after because R has never had a flu shot. They said also due to the fact that I have asthma I should be getting my flu shot every year.

When we got our flu shots little R had to fill out his own form. That's when you see his disability as glaring as the nose on your face. He can't spell my name or his father's. And that is something that you take for granted that once somebody knows how to write and how to read that they would just learn those things. But it is something that he has to do over and over and over and over to be able to remember it. He can remember his phone number if it is spoken but he can't remember how to write it down. He had a hard time understanding some of the medical form. When learning new information that he has no basis for in his rote memory then he becomes easily confused. My son learns everything by his rote and long-term memory. Everything he has learned at school he keeps in his rote memory. And when he learns something new he searches his rote memory to see if he can find something else to attach it to something that's the same. And if it's new he becomes confused because he has no basis for what he's learning. I went through the form with him and then some places I wrote the answer and he wrote over top of my writing. I'm going to have to go over with him how to write my name and how to write his father's name. I could tell he was a bit stressed about transitioning into adulthood. He did not want to fill out the form and he got to sign the form as his own independent adult person and that kind of upset him too. I know he's afraid because I know deep in his heart he knows he is lacking some very elemental skills that other people have. And that is unfortunately the phonological learning disability and it will never change at this point. All we can do is go over things and go over things and go over things and go over things and I hope that they stick in his rote memory. Also his working memory is only in the 2nd percentile which is extremely low. This is why my son needs a special needs social worker to make him comfortable transitioning into adult life.

Big Hug Vic. I have had many clients with cerebral palsy who are severely disabled by that including with their speech. Nevertheless, many of them manage to get out and about on public transport and going to appointments. A lot of them have various types of aids. A lot of them have a selection of cards with writing and small pictures which they take with them which say things like "I would like to buy a white coffee with sugar please." If they can get out and about, am sure Strategies can be worked out for a Little R. Probably just going mostly to the same doctor where possible so he has to deal with it less will reduce anxiety for him.

Hey Vic,

Some people use various forms of assisted technology.

Your son would very likely be able to devise his own preferred system of prompts which he could store on an IPhone, IPad or a tablet. The cards as a backup would probably be helpful.

Regarding an IPad or tablet, if he did get into difficulties reading and nobody there to assist, he can always photograph the text, send it to a support person such as yourself and resolve the issue by phone. Having just a couple of preferred support people on hand can make a big difference to a persons life. (I currently work with people with mild intellectual disability in a transitional living program so that within time, and with supports where required they can live in their own homes).

In retrospect, I would say that having him involved in the problem-solving aspect of developing effective prompts would be one of the best, confidence-inspiring things you could do for him so that he will gain the confidence and skills to initiate problem-solving and strategies to navigate his way through this world!

Does that work Vic?

It seems to work because it snaps you out of negative thoughts by drawing attention to a body part. Not enough to be really really painful you know what I mean but just enough to get your attention.

I went out for lunch with my girlfriend D. While we were out we saw this GYNORMOUS candy cane. I had to get it for my husband for Christmas because he loves candy canes and it's the biggest candycane I think I've ever seen.

I got called into work on an emergency. My gf D her husband has had a detached retina before and had several surgeries. Well at a check up this morning it was further bad news. So the had to drive to a hospital 2 hours away. So I was called in to work for her. I hope her husband is ok. So now I am on my lunch.

Archived