Buying for Baby

tinkerbellkj

Hey everyone!

When did/is everyone planning on buying for baby? I have bought a couple (as well as been given some as little gifts) of unisex outfits for the baby since finding out I was pregnant, but nothing else.

My parents live in another state and want to throw me a baby shower, and since I cannot fly in my 3rd tri, we agreed on a date in early December. I'm not due until April, so it's less than ideal timing, but it's really all that can work. Plus, my MIL will be throwing us another shower in March down here.

Anyway, so since my first shower is in December we went today to register for some baby stuff. Afterwards we decided to go and check out a furniture store down the street that has beautiful baby furniture. My husband does not like to shop and when he sees something he likes he just assume buy it and be done with it. We both fell madly in love with this: link removed (not in that color, in a cherry finish) and decided to put the deposit down on the set.

I feel kind of silly only being 16 weeks and making such a big purchase already, but my husband thinks it's the best thing to do so that if we buy little by little it's not a huge shock when it comes down to it. I go to the doctor on Monday and HOPEFULLY I'll be getting an ultrasound date for my gender scan! My intention was to wait until then to buy anything, but clearly it did not work out that way!

What is everyone's thoughts about buying things for baby??

I think that you have 9 months or so....it is less of a shock to gradually buy things over that period than all at once close to when the baby is due. Keep in mind that the last 2 months become a bit more uncomfortable and you will feel less like getting out and about to look at baby supplies.

Having said all that, 99.9% of people (including my wife and I) buy way too much stuff. A baby's needs are vey simple. Keep the buying to a minimum because baby stuff only last a yaer and a bit and then you have to start all over again for a toddler/preschooler so don't get caried away. Just buy what you need and save your money fort when things start to get REALLY expensive.

Yeah, that is what we are really trying to do. This is our first baby, so we have nothing and it's so easy to think you need EVERYTHING right now! We have been (or at least trying!) taking the advice of people with children who have basically said they had a ton of stuff they never used and then had to run out and buy a ton of things they didn't think they needed so much of. I know diapers is a big thing, which are very expensive, and have been told not to buy too many newborns, as they do not stay in them very long!

My husband is more practical, and the big reason we chose that crib IS because it converts to a toddler and then eventually a full sized bed, so he saw that as a good investment, where as I get carried away at wanting to buy every tiny little sock in the store! I'm working on it, though!

I think you'll get a ton of clothes as gifts. along with toys. So you should probably focus on the good deals when you see them, like the crib you said. you'll probably need some baby monitors, baby thermometers, other sorts of baby furniture. I guess you can register at a place like target or baby's r us, places that have good prices and are around the country so people can get you what you need.

Yeah, we registered at Babies R Us, and will probably at Target as well. We did the monitor, swing, etc, my grandmother is buying us the travel system (thank God for her!) We did smaller things such as diapers and bottles as well. I did not register for clothing because I know people like to pick things out like that themselves. I LOVE shopping for a baby, and it's fun to pick out their little outfits, so I didn't want to restrict people like that! I'm sure I'll get some adorable little outfits, we will be grateful for anything people want to give.

It's just such a new territory, I mean we really have NOTHING for a baby, it's very overwhelming!

I don't see a problem in buying ealry, especially clothes that are unisex or if you come accross a great deal like the crib set. One would hope a family member would ask you if you had bought something big (like a crib, changing table) before buying it for you to make sure you don't already have it. Otherwise yeah, I'd stock up on clothes, diapers, anything small. That way when you do find out the sex, you can concentrate a little more on decorating the nursery.

And, I'm not sure if this is sad or not, but CS and I are no where near TTC and there is a baby outfit hanging in my closet. Yeah... I"m a dork. lol

Hey! I'm due in April too.. 14 weeks here. I think most of all the little stuff like clothes and bath supplies and bottles and stuff like that will get taken care of at the baby shower. You'll probably get TONS of stuff. I think if you want to invest in the bigger furniture items that kind of makes sense as most people probably won't be buying the BIG stuff unless it's family and they have the money to spend. Nothing wrong with doing a little shopping here or there but this is my first too and with firsts I hear you end up with EVERYTHING! LOL.

I got a few cute items from craigslist like a little precious moments baby seat thingy and a baby bath and my boyfriend's sister gave me her daughter's car seat which looks practically brand new! I did get a couple little blankets and an outfit at a store but that's about it so far.

I haven't even begun to think about buying stuff for the baby yet... I am too worried about getting a car... and where I am going to live! I wish I could start getting stuff together, I think it would make me feel much calmer but I can't yet...the months are going by so quickly, there's nothing wrong with making a start now!!

I haven't even begun to think about buying stuff for the baby yet... I am too worried about getting a car... and where I am going to live! I wish I could start getting stuff together, I think it would make me feel much calmer but I can't yet...the months are going by so quickly, there's nothing wrong with making a start now!!

I hope everything works out with you Bella. I thought you were going to live with your mom, while you get on your two feet?

Melrich and Annie are right, most people over buy and end up with a bunch of stuff they don't use, and if it is your first and you have family involved you will probably get a lot in gifts. Personally I didn't buy anything (with the exception of 1 gender neutral sleeper) for my daughter until I was past 24 weeks. I was just too nervous about something happening. I lost my second pregnancy at 8 weeks, and am currently 6 weeks pregnant with # 3. I won't be buying anything for awhile, especially big ticket items.

Yeah I am, and my sister and her bf but we all need to move! It was on the cards before as me and my sis are going to be buying somewhere... It's just all become a bit more urgent because where we are now really wouldn't be good for a baby... It's cold and damp and not a very nice area! So yeah... I can't really think about furniture till I have a room to put it in haha!

Yeah I am, and my sister and her bf but we all need to move! It was on the cards before as me and my sis are going to be buying somewhere... It's just all become a bit more urgent because where we are now really wouldn't be good for a baby... It's cold and damp and not a very nice area! So yeah... I can't really think about furniture till I have a room to put it in haha!

You have plenty of time! Haha, we just bought it because we loved the set AND because my husband wanted an excuse to NOT have to go shopping anymore!!

I bought as little as possible - a take me home outfit, the crib (kept it in a box), and bought nothing until a month before or later. I didn't want a baby shower -too superstitious. Best things I bought-playtex fridge to go, gerber burp cloths, a glider, bouncy seat. Biggest money waster -medela breast pump (was unable to nurse) and most of the newborn clothing(outgrown way too fast!)

I almost wonder if rather than buying baby items, that you use the money that you were going to use to buy the items to put in a savings account or bank, and let it accumulate. Get the child the very basic--diapers, a few newborn outfits, and maybe 1 or 2 bottles. Allow people that throw baby-shower to get you items. And then once the baby is born, start dipping into your account for items that are needed.

My mum is also suspicious and doesn't think you should buy anything beyond the basics until the baby is actually born. I would be buying like mad if I could!!!

I think I will buy the majority after the baby is born so I'm not tempted to get too much I don't need...I am having this bubba on a budget after all lol!

i can undeerstand this but I know for me the one thing I learned from my best firned's pregnancy is always be prepared. When she was 8 months we thought we had another month to get the nursery ready and everything, and she ended up giving birth a month early. The day after my niece was born we were all in her house putting hte crib together, moving furniture in, hanging clothes.

I almost wonder if rather than buying baby items, that you use the money that you were going to use to buy the items to put in a savings account or bank, and let it accumulate. Get the child the very basic--diapers, a few newborn outfits, and maybe 1 or 2 bottles. Allow people that throw baby-shower to get you items. And then once the baby is born, start dipping into your account for items that are needed.

LOL- one or two bottles? When the baby is fed every two hours do you really want to be washing out your one or two bottles several times a day? And as far as a "few" outfirts -same issue -baby spits up /has a pooplosion - do you thnk you'll have time to do laundry several times a day while caring for a newborn? Not everyone has a shower or wants people to buy them lots of things - baby things are expensive and of course you can register but you can't guarantee people will buy what you chose or need right away.

i can undeerstand this but I know for me the one thing I learned from my best firned's pregnancy is always be prepared. When she was 8 months we thought we had another month to get the nursery ready and everything, and she ended up giving birth a month early. The day after my niece was born we were all in her house putting hte crib together, moving furniture in, hanging clothes.

That's what happened to me -wouldn't have it any other way (I was 9 days early) - while I was in the hospital my husband and father in law(bless him!) got things ready. No need to hang clothes or have things "ready" in that respect - sure it's nice if it can be done but I could not bear to see baby things around before I gave birth.

I'm thinking of doing the playtex bag bottles, and getting lots of nipples. I also was thinking about the microwave sterilizer, but I'm not sure if they are any good or not. Anyone have any thoughts?

I did those "drop ins" (still am) and like them a lot. I washed the nipples after each use in very hot soapy water and sterilized them once a week in boiling water(as per the package)and handwashed the rest. We probably had eight nipples at least in the early months.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of doing the playtex bag bottles, and getting lots of nipples. I also was thinking about the microwave sterilizer, but I'm not sure if they are any good or not. Anyone have any thoughts?

If you have a dishwasher you really don't need one of those. My baby was early so they really harped on sterility with water and bottles early (we breastfed but also had to supplement) and they told me as long as I had a dishwasher to clean the bottles that was fine. It gets hot enough on the steam dry cycle to sterilize.

That's what happened to me -wouldn't have it any other way (I was 9 days early) - while I was in the hospital my husband and father in law(bless him!) got things ready. No need to hang clothes or have things "ready" in that respect - sure it's nice if it can be done but I could not bear to see baby things around before I gave birth.

Me too! I went in 3 weeks and 2 days before my due date for a non stress test (was being followed for high blood pressure) and they said 'you are not going home we are having a baby today!' Luckily we had the major stuff ready.

My husband's mom went early with him and she had him sleeping in a dresser drawer for the first month LOL!! New babies don't need much.

Archived