My boyfriend has a waterbed, sleeping at his place is the only time I've ever slept on a waterbed. I have motion sickness issues, I'm pretty sensitive to the motion of the bed. My stomach can become little unsettled, but its not persistent. My main problem is I get severe headaches when I spend the night.

I don't know what to do.

I like sleeping with my boyfriend, he is a great cuddler and said he really likes waking up with me. I've told him about the headaches and he worries about it. He gets migraines, too, he actually went to the ER not too long ago and was given a shot for it.

I'm wondering if part of both of our issues is the bed.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Do I ask that we try a new bed? I can fall asleep on the floor, but he refused to let me sleep on the floor I don't want suggest he spend money on a bed that might not alleviate the problem. He has tuition to pay soon, so money is tight for him.

My ex had a waterbed too and it gave me terrible migraines. The only thing I could think of was that it gave me back issues and it was some sort of tension migraine from not getting the support I needed. Where are these headaches located?

I did not know they still had those. Wow.....I had one 25 years ago or so and it made me sick all the time. Was the reason I got rid of it.

Yeah, I didn't even know they still made waterbeds.

I remember reading waterbeds are terrible for your back.

My ex had a waterbed too and it gave me terrible migraines. The only thing I could think of was that it gave me back issues and it was some sort of tension migraine from not getting the support I needed. Where are these headaches located?

My headaches are concentrated in the front and top of my head. I thought they were sinus headaches at first, but I took sinus medication and haven't had them when I sleep in my own bed. I'm not sure where his are, but he gets some very nasty ones, too.

He has some tension issues in his neck and shoulders, too. He and I both are insomniacs at times, I know its harder for me to sleep in his bed. It takes me a while to fall asleep in a regular bed, but in his bed its an age to fall asleep.

My headaches are concentrated in the front and top of my head. I thought they were sinus headaches at first, but I took sinus medication and haven't had them when I sleep in my own bed. I'm not sure where his are, but he gets some very nasty ones, too.

He has some tension issues in his neck and shoulders, too. He and I both are insomniacs at times, I know its harder for me to sleep in his bed. It takes me a while to fall asleep in a regular bed, but in his bed its an age to fall asleep.

My number one guess would be that the bed is the culprit here, especially since he has tension in his neck and shoulders.

Secondly, could there be something in the air at his place that you're allergic to? Even something in his bed... dust mites?

My number one guess would be that the bed is the culprit here, especially since he has tension in his neck and shoulders.

Secondly, could there be something in the air at his place that you're allergic to? Even something in his bed... dust mites?

I thought about allergies due to his stuff, too, we washed everything and he has no pets, but still headaches. He uses the same cleaning chemicals and detergent as my household, so that's not a factor either. We were watching TV and I fell asleep on the floor in the living room and slept better than I did in his bed I was so tired and slept like a rock.

It really upsets me because I want to spend the night over just so we can cuddle, but I pay for it the following day.

I understand what you're saying. My bf has to sleep on the floor due to his excessive sweating (he literally drenches the entire bed... it's unbearable).

I guess he's just going to have to get a regular mattress. Waterbeds aren't good for a back long-term anyways so it'd probably be for the best. In the meantime, can you maybe get an air mattress to sleep on? Couch?

I'd put my money on the bed. Your headaches sound like tension headaches and can definitely be caused by the lack of support the bed provides. I get tension headaches when I'm looking down for a long time and they're exactly where you describe. I also get them when I'm at my in-laws because the mattresses on the beds are probably almost as old as I am and have NO support.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some slight relief, pillows. If I'm careful to have pillows to support my head and neck, my head is much happier in the morning.

The whole bed thing still bothers me enough that I worry that sleeping over may lead to a day of horrible head aches. I've developed a complex about sleeping in his bed. The association of spending the night and a day of pain is hard to avoid. Especially because of how horrific the pain could be. Migraines have been a plague during my adult life, I do all I can to avoid any triggers, avoidance is my motto.

• 4 years later...

If you've got headache problems, pillow top mattresses tend to just make them worse, and waterbeds are even worse. It's counterintuitive, but softer isn't always better. It feels good short term, but if you're experiencing long term discomfort with a soft mattress, maybe you need to go firmer. You'll get used to it.

A very old and worn out mattress may be the worst of both worlds, feeling stiff to the touch but not actually providing good support. Mattresses tend to get softer as they age, and not in a good way.

Archived