Sexy co-worker hit on me today?

kevinm

So I went into work today to talk to my manager and the HR person, sign papers, blah, blah, blah. After this I went to go see a friend of mine at another dealership (within the same dealership family... I work for Chevrolet, he works for Mazda.) Anyway... there is a woman who works there whom I've always had a crush on. She's flirted with me before (just her personality) but today when she saw me in the cast she was VERY attentive and even went back to grab a sharpie so she could sign my cast. She knelt right down on the shop floor, gently grabbed my leg placing my cast in her lap, then signed it. It totally made my day. I know I shouldn't look into these things too much, maybe it was pure sympathy... who knows. Still, it was nice to receive such a warm response

Should I ask this woman out?

-Kevin

You work with her? No...I wouldn't ask her out. Don't where you eat.

If we worked at the same dealership it would present a problem, but as it stands we do not. Also, neither of us are in positions where our responsibilities overlap. It would be like someone who worked for the same company, but in another city an hour away as far as the politics are concerned.

-Kevin

Go ahead and ask her out.

Go back where she is and tell her "I think you forgot something when you signed my cast" When she asks what is that? Say "Your number" "How can I call and ask you out if you don't write your number on my cast"

Good luck

Lost

You are a freakin' guru.

You work with her? No...I wouldn't ask her out. Don't where you eat.

Why does everyone always automatically assume that relationships started at work fail? Who knows... she could be the one... I mean ya... people fail in relationships all the time and people break up left and right but you never know right... I already know what kind of responses I'll get for this but oh well... Throw tomatoes...

And she doesn't work with the OP, she works with the OP's friend in a different company... just the same field.

If we worked at the same dealership it would present a problem, but as it stands we do not. Also, neither of us are in positions where our responsibilities overlap. It would be like someone who worked for the same company, but in another city an hour away as far as the politics are concerned.

-Kevin

Ah, I see. Then go for it. That's kind of a long drive though.

Lost, your idea is awesome.

Why does everyone always automatically assume that relationships started at work fail? Who knows... she could be the one... I mean ya... people fail in relationships all the time and people break up left and right but you never know right... I already know what kind of responses I'll get for this but oh well... Throw tomatoes...

And she doesn't work with the OP, she works with the OP's friend in a different company... just the same field.

For one thing, many companies have policies against it.

For another, many relationships DO fail and having to see someone every day can make things upsetting and awkward, and delay the healing process because you can't exactly do a full no contact.

Kevin, git r dun.

For one thing, many companies have policies against it.

For another, many relationships DO fail and having to see someone every day can make things upsetting and awkward, and delay the healing process because you can't exactly do a full no contact.

Kevin, git r dun.

Ya. Well... I guess it's just me, but "company policy" isn't going to stop me from love. There's ways around it. It's just a shame that people pass up an opportunity to find the right person for them for some stupid company rule. I work in government so I've never had an issue with any sort of policies like that unless it's between two different levels. (i.e. Manager & subordinate) Many of our staff in many of our buildings are married or dating.

And yes, I completely understand what you're saying about the whole seeing them every day after a break up... It's just to me, I'm one to live life looking for positive outcomes and hoping for the best... not fearing the worst and not giving it a shot to begin with... but if it happens, it happens.

Sorry, gettin off topic...

But ya... go for it dude.

I gotta agree because me and my SO met at work, we were both managers there...worked together for 4yrs before dating and here we are married after dating 3yrs. So...not all co worker relationships end in failure. Granted we did both quit about a year into dating and working together but didn't cause any problems. Just gotta know how to not mix business with pleasure, you work at work and you flirt at home

Anyway, I say go back and ask the girl out!

Hey Smudders... LOL, I can't remember! Which one is that? Maybe... she's kinda ditsy, but a total sweetheart.

i dont remember. this was a while back you told me about her. there was some really cute ditzy girl you were talking about asking out but you said you pretty much had nothing in common or something.

Thanks for the replies everyone... just to clarify, we do work for the same parent company (same investors), but the brands (dealerships) are different... the books are different, corporate policies are different, etc. If she worked for chevrolet, or I for mazda, then we couldn't date... even if we are in different departments.

Anyway... as "cute" as the cast suggestion is... I would have had to have thought of it right then and there for it to work. It would be lame of me to go back and ask now I think. Besides, she strikes me as more of the type that would have rolled her eyes and been turned off by such a pick-up-line. Regardless, I didn't do it, so it's a moot point.

I'm not even considering the aftermath of dating and failing... to think that far in advance is kind of self destructive in my opinion. Besides, I don't have daily contact with her as it stands.

-Kevin

In this particular case with the OP I don't see any problem. If the relationship doesn't work and there is a break-up, then you just have a hi-and-bye relationship like you do with everyone. People are smart and know that there always has to be a profesional decorum.

For example, in my office, I was into two different ladies here, and in fact took one out for lunch, and the other was a married woman that I was sort of into. I'm not doing anything with either of them now -- but there is still a professional decorum. People know how to behave and know the difference between that decorum and having a relationship.

Now, the only case I can personally see that work relationships is a problem is if there is some alpha-male guy that's banging all the women at the office, playing games with them, and there is a poisonous environment that is being caused by that sort of play. The OP doesn't look like he wants to make a conquest out of this girl and brag to other collegues in a water-cooler and seems to genuinely like her and have a crush on her - so he has my blessings to continue.

There is also one thread written on this board of someone getting fired from a job for asking a girl out who was friendly and flirty to him. Again, there is always a risk a girl can make a complaint for sexual harassment if you ask her out in a work environment. However, I doubt that if she wrote her name on your cast and is naturally flirty that she's suddenly going to do a Dr. Jekle and Mr. Hyde turn on you and start a complaint, so again, go ahead.

I'm not even considering the aftermath of dating and failing... to think that far in advance is kind of self destructive in my opinion. Besides, I don't have daily contact with her as it stands.

If you ended up going out with her and things went awry, you would be kicking yourself unless there would be a way for you to completely avoid her, so it's definitely not self destructive to take it into consideration.

But, based on what you said she's just the real outgoing type. It doesn't sound like it was meant to be anything out of the ordinary, imo.

Ask her out. I asked a coworker of mine out, and this girl that I asked out actually works in my department. I did get turned down but thats besides the point. One thing that everyone has told me is that I at least found the balls to ask the girl out because a lot of ppl probably wouldn't and always wonder what would of happened if they had asked.

Archived