Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

The BellaDonna, Get off Your Ass Journal

BellaDonna

I work up extremely early today in order to get to the gym before work.

Today's Workout

Cardio 35 minutes HIIT on the elliptical crosstrainer

Lower Body Calf raises -3 sets of 15 off edge of step, Hip adducter machine 3 sets of 12

Upper Body: 2 sets of 15 using 15lb free wights biceps, triceps, pecs- shoulder machine 3 sets of 15

Abs 2 sets of 15 captain's chair, 2 sets of 15 ab machine, traditional crunches 2 sets of 15, obiques (each side) 2 sets of 15, extended crunches 2 sets of 15, criss cross bicycle crunch 2 sets of 15

Stretching 10 minutes

For some reason I found it very difficult to complete my upper body weight training today- I got through it but my muscles got sore very quickly. It was a challenge.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided that I am going to do the 12 week (BFL) Body For Life Program again. When I did it in 2004 I was in the best shape of my life.

I'm pretty ticked off that I've gained 5 pounds since joining the gym- even if it is muscle. I would like to get rid of excess fat on my upper arms and lower stomach. The current equation that I have been following, while healthy, just isn't giving me the results I want.

I wonder if I am not eating enough. The BFL program has you eat 6 meals a day, balanced with healthy carbs, lean protein, vegetables. I remember when I was on the plan before it was actually difficult for me to get all of the meals in (I was always really full)

Right now I am always hungry. I think I need to change things up.

I am re-reading the BFL book and incorportating the new online tools they provide. I'm getting my shopping list ready so I can start the eating plan right away.

Really? You're a pal!!!! I'd love that! I could have a partner in crime.

Hmmm.....start date.... I decided I would start the eating plan right away and continue my workouts as usual. Should I make the true "official" start date be Monday August 30th for the regimented training that goes along with the meal plan?

I will probably need some time to re-read the book in it's entirity and to get some other things besides the food at the grocery store- like the Myoplex lite protein shakes and some other stuff for home- because realistically I can't get to the gym 6 days a week I can usually only get there 4 days a week. I have a treadmill at home, free weights, stability ball- etc. I have my old folder from 2004 with some BFL recipes that I need to dig up.

Day 1: August 30th?

I know- I always dread that part lol. I will not be posting them here, that's for sure. lol

But I will definitely take my "before" pics- I'll recruit my hubby to do it . At least I am tan right now. That helps.

I need to remind myself how far I already have come too....but I know I will still hate my before pics. :splat:

I dusted the cobwebs of my BFL book and found my folder with the old worksheets, meal plans, and before and after pics.

HOLY CRAP I had great abs when I finished the 12 week challenge in 2004. Dare I be so bold as to say, in hindsight I looked freakin' hot!!! I didn't even realize how fit I was at the time. I'd die to look like that again. I don't know if I will ever have those abs back, to that extent, after having a giant baby but I sure as hell will try. It really motivated me to do this program again.

I have to take my "before" pics for this challenge tonight. One very positive thing- when I did BFL in 2004 I had 30 lbs to lose. This time aroud I don't need to lose as much weight. I already lost the 30lbs after having my son. I gained back 5lbs of it since going to the gym. This time around I have far less bodyfat to initally lose so I wonder if my overall results will be even better after this new 12 week challenge. This time the "before" pics won't be nearly as bad as they were in 2004. I am at a good weight, I just need a tune up. I would like to re-lose the 5lbs I gained back since joining the gym, If I actually lose 10+lbs (of fat) in the process I won't complain but I am really looking for a transformation in lean muscle mass and shape.

I also went shopping. I bought some of the Myoplex lite shakes in case I need a rushed BFL meal in a pinch. I stocked up on my reguslar whey protein powder, on whole grain pitas, fresh fruits and veggies. chicken breast, and lean ground meat. I got some recipes of the BFL website link removed

I'm getting revved up.

Woohooo..me too Bella!! Did my workout this morning..lower body.So walking like a crippled lady today..lol. Glad you're getting pumped up..read some of those success stories. They get me motivated!! I keep looking at the pics on my fridge and they make me shudder ..thinking of putting them on my treadmill lmao!

Today's workout - walking with wrist weights 3 miles, calf raises off edge of step 3 sets of 15

I also took my before photos for the BFL challenge. Ok so thigns are not as bad as I thought- but I need to lose some inches around my lower belly, some upper arms, and hip. I am going to take some prelinimary baseline measurements with my measuring tape to use along with the scale and pics to measure progress.

I officially start the Body For Life program tomorrow.

I made a special binder for my Meal planning sheets, Training sheets for Upper Body, Lower Body, & Cardio workouts, goal statements, measurements, calendar and recipes. That way it will be easy to stay organized. When I complete a day of workouts and meal sheets I can file them in the back of the binder and they will be easily accessible for me to view my progress.

My main barrier for this program, is to be able to do the workouts first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. It was my one demon back in 2004 when I did it the first time. Back then I wasn't racing against the clock trying to complete it before a 3 year-old woke up. This will requires me to wake up super early....which I always have a problem with. I am going to try to pretend to be more of a morning person. I may have to post my "before pic" near my bed so I don't shut the alarm clock off. :sleeping:

All of my food is already prepared for tomorrow so I can just grab my lunchbag for work without having to make all of the meals in the morning. -Anything to buy time to get more sleep! lol

Whew! I got through first BFL upper body workout- I used this sheet to keep track of the weights used and intensity level. link removed

I did the workout from home- I used my stability ball as my "bench" which gave some added challenge to my core.

I think most of the time I will do the upper body workout from home since it is the longest workout.

Day 1 workout COMPLETE (I forgot how challenging this program was- I was sweating bullets, and another reason I want to be home is that I'm sure I look like I am in great pain when I am on the last reps- I'd rather not have an audience for that lol)

I will probably do lower body and cardio days at the gym.

I did my cardio workout early this morning on an empty stomach and also added some ab exercises after. One of the criticisms of the BFL program is that it does not have a lot of ab work (except on the lower body workout days) so the program creator, Bill Phillips, advised that if people want to add in some more ab exercises they should do it on their cardio days. That suggestion works well for me since the recommende HIIT cardio program is only 20 minutes, leaving me time for abs.

Yesterday's Eating

8:00am whole wheat english muffin with 1TBSP natural peanut butter, whey protein shake, coffee with 2 splenda and skim milk

10:30am Myoplex lite shake

1:00pm plain white tuna on a whole wheat pita with spinach

2:30pm Apple and a protein shake

5:30 pm Veggie burger patty (no bun) with green beans, small baked potato with 1 wedge laughing cow light cheese on it (1.5 grams of fat per wedge)

7:30pm 1 slice French Toast made with 1 egg, whole wheat high fiber bread, vanilla whey protein powder & cinnamon- topped with 1tbsp sugar free syrup

I did my lower body workout (Quads, Hamstrings, calves, Abs)

from home, first thing this morning.

I already feel as if my legs (especially quads) have been put through a meat grinder. They almost feel numb.

Yesterday's Food was:

Meal 1: whole wheat english muffin with 1tbsp natural peanut butter, whey protein shake, coffee with skim milks and 2 splenda

Meal 2: Myoplex lite shake

Meal 3: lean roast beef on a whole wheat roll with 1tsp A1 steak sauce, garden salad- no dressing

Meal 4: small baked potato with fat free cheddar bud sprinkles, whey protein shake

Meal 5: sirloin steak teriaki over spinach, 1 yam, wonton soup broth with cabbage

Meal 6: 1 slice whole wheat french toast made with one egg, vamilla protein powder and sugar free syrup

Speaking of shakes- aside from the Myoplex Lite meal replacment shake I use whey protein- I usually just buy chocolate but I think it was in your journal that I saw you list cookies and cream as a shake flavor?

I bought some of that- it was surprisingly good- keeps my sweet tooth in check!

Ah okay.

Ya I can only do isolate (low lactose) but I've tried chocolate & mint, strawberry, and other flavors. The protein shake definitely tastes better than back 10 years ago and more choices. They used to be so grainy and hard to mix. Now it mixes so easily and it does keep my sugar control in check as well

Archived