Getting back together really does happen!

My coworker just told me about his reconciliation story...

He was involved with a girl for 2 years, they lived together and had plans to marry. For whatever reason, they decided to break up...he was a little vague on why they parted, but he did mention that the timing wasn't right. They officially broke up in 1998, went LC for a few months and eventually turned into full NC. Fast forward to 2002, she emailed him out of the blue and they decided to meet up. They slowly became friends which eventually led to them getting back together. They recently got engaged and seem to be happier and stronger than ever before...

Four years of NC, both had other serious relationships inbetween, yet they still ended up finding their way back together. I don't want my ex back, but stories like this make me believe that everything happens for a reason. Time and patience is key.

I saw this couple today out walking and I remembered their story....

Couple started going out late teens for a few years - the split up and part ways - she gets a new relationship, goes abroad does voluntary work - he does the same too - years later they reconnect - at this point they live in different countries and have a LD relationship.

They take things slow and break up again but get back together despite the long distance and at that point not knowing where exactly they are headed with the careers.

All in all 10 years pass from beginning to end including their breakups, other relationships, long distance etc.

Today they are married and saw them today with their first new born!!!

Not really a success story, but shows that you never know what the future holds.

When I was going through hard time with the breakup, I asked one of my friends if she was ever married before. And she said that she was close once, and told me about this guy. Basically they dated few years, she wanted to marry him, but he was not sure. So he broke up with her. It took few years for my friend to get over him, because in her mind, he was the right person for her. 15 years after the breakup, he called her and told her that breaking up with her was the biggest mistake in his life, and asked her to marry him. By that time (yea, it's been 15 years), she was already over him, so she told him that he was 10 years too late.

So... they didn't get back together, but it shows that people can come back even after a long time, and doesn't necessarily test water...

I also found the book titled "My boyfriend's back" written by Donna Hanover, which has a lot of reconciliation stories..

found two cute stories online.....second one is my favorite

A couple I know were married for two years, they got divorced and were apart for about a year. She moved to Wyoming and he was in Tenneessee. They had no children at the time and no reason to talk, but they couldn't stay away from each other and now are back together in Teneessee. They have remarried and have two precious children.

My bestfriend and her now husband, dated for about 1 1/2 yrs. She wanted to get married and he didn't, he still wanted to play the field, so she ended the relationship. After about a year seperation, he stood on the side of the road holding up a sign on a street corner on her way to work , saying he loves her and cant live without her, but she didn't go to work that morning. But anyway they have been married for 6 yrs now.....

3rd story I found...

We got together when we were only 15 years old so by the time we were 18 I wanted to see what else was out there. He did not treat my like before and that made me want to see what else was out there, so I did. I broke up with him and started seeing some guy that treated me like a princess. I broke up with that guy 4 or 5 months later and just dated a bit. In total I was separated from my bf for 1 exact year. When my b-day came around he called me and one thing led to another and we started to see each other again and even got married though we did not live together (Long story). We then had another break up but for other reasons and now we are together again and super happy

A friend told me this story about a friend of hers.

Her guy dated this girl X for 3 years. When he broke up with her he went out with Y (the girl in issue). They got engaged and everything. Then he left her and went back to the first girl for another 3 years.

Y never gave up hope and always just wanted him. One fine day near New Years she texts him out of the blue, not knowing if he still with the same girl or not and just taking her chance.

He had split up from X. They spent the next year meeting, talking etc but mostly on his terms. However the girl Y simply would not give up. After a year of this they get back together.

They've been back together now for 2 years, engaged and pregnant!

This girl never ever imagined after he left her she would get him back but she was extraordinarily patient, resilent and hopeful - and she managed!

It happens alright - it just happened to me

Broke up 18 months ago and got back together completely out of the blue last week. It's early days and we're taking it slow but I've got a good feeling about it and because we both let go and moved on with our lives while we were apart all the problems from the last time have been forgiven and forgotten about. We've been able to press the 'reset' button and start completely afresh

Broke up 18 months ago and got back together completely out of the blue last week. It's early days and we're taking it slow but I've got a good feeling about it and because we both let go and moved on with our lives while we were apart all the problems from the last time have been forgiven and forgotten about. We've been able to press the 'reset' button and start completely afresh

Hey Brigadoon.. good for you!!! how long were you together before and who dumped who?

When you say "out of the blue," do you really mean... OUT OF THE BLUE? Or was he someone you've been in contact with since your breakup?

Happy Sunday people.

hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.

Here is a brief story that completely eluded me. It is not a gbt per se, but it does show someone returning after some time.

The story of my father and his ex wife.

My father met his ex in a museum, then hooked up and from what I gathered it started of as a primarily lustful relationship.

Throughout their five year relationship, they had two children, my step brother and sister.

As the relationship deteriorated, the end result was inevitably divorce. Various factors contributed towards the end of the marriage (it would be years later when my mother found some paperwork implying that my father wanted to save the marriage)

So they divorced. As a custody battle went on, my father's ex would flaunt new boyfriends in front of him.

Dealing with the pain of the breakup, my father instinctively kept a safe distance (what people now coin as 'NC') for his own health and emotional wellbeing.

10 months later, she sends her son to attempt to patch things up with my pops.

Dad was having none of it. In another four years he married my mother.

Good thing they didn't patch up otherwise I wouldn't have been born!

Wahay to failed reconciliation!

TS

1. I know a couple that dated in high school. I think they were together for 2 or 3 years. After high school they just parted their ways while she was away at college partying and having the time of her life....while he was starting his career in fire fighting. They said they had a mutual break up but kept in touch with each other. The guy found a girl friend, I forget how long they dated...I think almost a year or so. But one day, they broke up and I saw a while later him and ex got back together (the high school sweet heart). I talked to her about my break up and asked her about her story.. she said that they were going through problems and she was there to listen for him. She didn't TRY to break them up... but they ended up breaking up and he later admitted that he has always had feelings for her. Then they're together. It's almost been a year now...I think they had a lot of growing up to do and they changed.

2. I also told this girl about my break up and asked about her relationship because she ended up marrying her ex. They were together sine 8th grade! They were always on and off over little petty stuff but nothing serious. Then after high school, she wanted to see what else was out there and got curious. So she broke up with him...she ended up in another relationship and he dated around while still being in love with her. She said that she lost MAJOR feelings for her ex...but she has always kept in touch with him. One day, the guy broke her heart and she ended up being comforted by her ex. I don't know how this happens lol, I would've thought they were USING me. Well, anyways she said she realized he was the one that made her happy, felt safe, and loved him all along. They ended up getting married...that was 2 years ago and now they're still together. He's also in the Air Force..she said him deploying and coming back changed him for the better.

3. My sister also has this friend with a story. Her mom was with her husband and then he split up with her. I forgot why, I think she didn't have her crap together at all...well, 11 years later he moved accross the street from her and saw how confident she was, she had her stuff together, and they've been married ever since.

I honestly do believe that in order for a relationship to work the second time, that there must be time apart to heal and grow as a person. It also washes away the old pain of the relationship and makes it easier to start a new one and even stronger one. Most of the time, relationships don't work the 2nd time if it's a short period they get back together.

I too am hoping one day my ex and I will find our way back to eachother again NO MATTER WHAT. But also, I'm trying to heal and move on in the process and opening doors for what may come to me. I'm trying hard to deal with this and accept this as a learning experience to be a BETTER me. I just ask for one thing and only one thing: For us to be good friends (be able to keep in touch and talk about anything like we always did)

By then being friends could mean being truly happy while having eachother in our lives even if it's not romantically together. Or we could be truly friends and then BAM! we find our selves fallin in love all over again...we do what we have to do and then let nature take it's course.

I have to try to remember this.

• Like 1

Do you think I should be friends with my ex? We were together 5 1/2 years great relationship but a week ago he said he didn't feel the same anymore. He was crying and said that he wished so hard it'd come back...he says he doesn't know why it happened. Everyone thinks possibly Army and the distance ( 2 years) caught up to him and he outgrew me.

I want to do no contact today but I talked to him AGAIN and I am so happy. We talk as if we're friends and about everything. When I don't talk to him I feel like he's dead and no longer in my life at all. But then again I look at his Facebook and my heart thumps in fear of seeing something that will hurt me one day. But I'm also afraid being friends will have him look at me as just a friend. WHAT TO DO? He doesn't want me to do no contact and disappear.

I feel like I'm healing but some days it hurts so much. Today it didn't at all...it's so weird. I'm not depressed crying myself every day! But yeah, I've stuck with NC...but every time I talk to him it's either great or painful/sad. It's so confusing....I think I'll do NC for a while until I think I'm over him...lol or when I'm able to go about my day without wondering each day if I should talk to him or call.

UGH! I know people say do NC and wait for him to contact...but I doubt he'll do that if I tell him NOT to contact me while I'm healing because he respects my wishes even though he doesn't want that to happen.

I guess NC will speed up the process...no harm in trying at all.

I was thinking about this the other day and thought, well I will mention it here. I got with my ex when I was 19, I am now 28. We split 2 months back. She has a very core group of female friends, all of whom she has gone through school which except one which is her best friend she has known since she was 16.

Ok, when we met, K, her best mate was with a guy, her friend, n was with a guy from school, m, was also with a guy from school, J, wasn't with anyone, jg was also with a guy long distance. Her friend b, who was a new friend from uni at the time but one of her best mates now, had just got together with my best mate.

Hope you're following so far??

So, how did things change in the 8 years we were together? how many of those girls split with their bf's and how many got back together?

Let's start with K, she finished with her bf about a year after I git with my gf, she went on to have a few one nighters before meeting a guy, she was with him for 3 years before leaving him 6 months before they were due to get married. Now she's with a guy for about 18 months with a 1 year old but not engaged.

N and her school sweet heart are married, yet about 6 months ago my ex told me she was very unhappy with their marriage was tempted to leave, they have a kid almost 2, they now have another kid on the way and would imagine she is stil not very happy in the relationship.

M is also stil with her school sweetheart, married with no kids, yet i am convinced he cheats on her she seems quite content with him.

J got together with a couple of guys before getting one in particular. He was trouble but I got on with him very well, she eventually left him and is was single for a while, now she is with another guy for just under a year and very happy I think.

JG was with a guy long distance, then she left him and almost immediatelty got with another guy, they've been together about 5 years and have just bought a house. Though there have been times when I have thought they may split, she has been the one I have been most angry at over the last year and partly a cause for my split I think. Me and my gf had a kid, 4 months later her best mate had a kid, and so she was a bit bitter, made many comments about the two of them and I resented her for that. she has had an eptopic and a miscarriage in her bid to have a baby, she got engaged very quickly after I proposed. I was annoyed at her for a long time and my gf eventually resented me for resenting one of her best mates. they're still together anyway but under the surface i'm not sure how happy.

And B, who got with my mate shortly before I got with my girl, they were together a few years before he left her for another girl. That girl left him and after about 2 years of nagging she caved in and took him back. Now they have bought a house and are awaiting their first child.

So, if you've followed so far, I was thinking, has my getting with my girl, and staying together for so long, partly something to do with our split? I have seen a few bf's come and go over the years, some nice, some not so. I was just wondering if it was my turn for the used car pile amongst these girls, and while I have seen some faces come and go, only one has ever managed to make it back.

I don't know if I will get my family back, at present I am at zero chance. But my mate had to wait about 2 years, and whil there is very good chance we will have gone very separate ways, even though we have a son together, I stil think I will have hope, yet when I look at the stats with these girls, only 1 guy has made it back, it certainly don't look good right?

In the meantime, best of luck to those who get a 2nd chance, and good luck to those still searching for theirs!

Jonesy