I'm 22 and interested in a 30 year old man...

Ms.Lady

I've started talking with this guy for the past couple of weeks who approached me at a mall. Normally I don't really pursue guys that much older than me but I'm very interested in him. He's very handsome and he treats me with respect and he seems very nice.When he approached ,he started talking with me about a book I was reading at our local book store at the mall, we hit it off so well that we exchanged numbers. He was a little shock to find out during our conversation over the phone that I was 22 as he said that I look & sound very mature for my age. He told me he was 30 which kind of threw me for a loop. I don't see it as a problem. Though it makes me feel a little uneasy. Do you think a possible relationship can form between a 22 year old and a 30 year old??

Absolutely no problem. You are both practically in the same generation! And in my opinion, it is always better to go up in terms of age range - you always want the guy to be several years older than you, as most men usually take a bit longer to mature emotionally. So by dating a slightly older guy, you have a slightly better chance for emotional stability.

Im 22 soon to be 23, my bf is 35... We have a great relationship and live together. I have dated guys my own age and a couple years older. Yes I have dated older men like my current bf. I figured age is only a number and if you guys as a couple get along then great. it should only matter to you two and no one else. Yeah I get cr*p from people here and there. But my both of my parents have met him and they both say he is the best guy they have ever met and they also noticed that I was more happy now with him than I have ever been. Yes we have talked about getting married in the future and I would be honored to marry him. He is a great guy who treats me wonderful. We have great chemistry and are best friends.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one thing I can think of that could be an issue and bear in mind this is all based on generalizations, which of course are only so useful. Often when you're 22 you may have yet to be settled down into an adult life, i.e. you may still be living a sort of 'college' lifestyle or extended adoleseence where going out to bars and parties and a busy social life is a priority to you and you haven't yet felt what it's like to be in a pattern of waking up every day and going to work, which can be very boring. You probably haven't had a mortgage, kids, etc. At 30, a person has likely done these things. I could see how it could be difficult for two people in different phases of their life like this to mesh. Your 20's are also the time when you sort of turn into your adult self.

I think the same age gap later on wouldn't matter at al, say 30 and 38, because by that time you've both settled into your adult lives.

Archived