I'm scared of flying

Girl79

I am so completely terrified of flying and I don't know what to do about it! I have gone my whole life not having to fly, up until like NOW. I have to fly to another province in a couple of weeks for work, and I don't know how I am going to do it. It's pretty much something I can't really get out of either. My boss knows how freaked out I am, and has almost suggested that we drive the way there ( it's a 12 hour drive but only a 1 hour plane ride) but I would feel so stupid if we ended up driving, all because I am chicken of being in a plane. I don't know what to do.. I need some advice! I'd like to hear specifically from people who were as scared as me, but still did it and liked it, or whatever. I have been talking to all my friends and my family and they all say it's not that bad. I just don't know how I am going to do it, I'd rather do anything else but this. Thanks guys.

I am a VERY, VERY anxious flyer, to the point where I seriously considered driving from Chicago to D.C. and back for a conference this past summer. 1.5 hour flight, 13-hour drive each way, and driving still sounded better to me.

Then my car crapped out on me, and I was forced to deal with flying...and stumbled upon this absolutely WONDERFUL support site:

link removed

It's much like Enotalone, only it's specifically for people who are afraid of flying. The people there were SO helpful, because they had all gone through--or were still going through--those fears.

What also helped me immensely was, for the week or so before my flight, I tracked my flight--same time, same call number, etc.--on a Web site called link removed. It just made me feel so much better watching it take off and land every day, completely normal, just another commute for the pilots.

Also, you might consider asking someone to track YOUR flight...my mom and sister did, and if you ask them, the people at TakingFlight.us will, too. It just made me feel better, knowing that people were watching my plane go through the air to my destination!

Good luck!!! I am still not over my fear of flying, but I've found ways to cope so that if I HAVE to do it, I can (I guess)...

P.S. It was impossible for me to be reassured by people who aren't afraid of flying--which is pretty much everyone I know--because they just do not get why it freaks me out so much!

But check out that Web site, and you'll hear from people who DO understand, and DO get it, and can reassure you in ways that will (hopefully!) make sense to you. It worked for me--at least enough to get me on the plane to and from D.C.

OH--I also brought my IPod, and when we were up above the clouds, I listened to the Sound of Music and pretended we were flying over the Alps. I'm a dork, I know...but if you have your favorite tunes up there with you, it might help you to relax.

You might want to call the airline ahead of time and tell them. Many airlines have "nervous flyer" programs where they let you tour a plane ahead of time, have a counselor talk to you, learn a bit about flying, and so on. Those that don't may help you out with a seat close to the front so the flight attendants can be nearer and give you some support.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice guys. I am flying out this Sunday and I'm scared to death but I got some Xanax from my doc for anxiety so I am hoping that helps. And good advice about the Ipod, I will for sure be bringing mine. Anyone taken Xanax for flying and did it help?

Archived