From heart attack to fitness and losing weight

Guys..I wanted to make this post for people who have difficulty losing weight.I have wanted to post this up for a few days now but something tells me this is the right time..The methods I am going to post are not from conventional weight loss regimens but rather listening to my body and giving it what it needs...Anyone can try it if they feel but I urge you to read my story a few times before you do so...

3 Years to the date at 37 I was resting in hospital after a heart attack..I got three stents implanted and at this stage on medication until the day I die. The heart attack made me realise just how blessed I was and indeed we all are to be here.It made me appreciate alot of the simpler things in life I took for granted..

In the first year I walked for 1 hour every day and did not even put one fried chip in my mouth.My weight was ok but my aerobic fitness was not so great..coupled with dizzy spells from low blood pressure and extreme fatigue I could not have the energy to work past 3pm..As A matter of fact I was at home by 3pm each day... I justified it to myself by putting it down to my illness. I had a dramatic imprvement in quality of life when I threw lipitor away and was administered a different cholesterol tablet. My energy rose but not the best..I since have been on off exercising....

It all came to a head last November when I came home and collapsed in my lounge room chair .Maybe I was heat exhausted?I dont know?Was it my heart? No I dont think so...In any case I realised something right there as I could not even close my fingers on my coffee cup to hold it from lack of energy.. That was the last straw!!!

I am very grateful to those who saved my life back then and the wonderful nurses who helped me as well. However I had to think why this was happening to me ? I beilived it was the fact that my blood was thinner form the meds and the fact that the liver would not be liking all this stuff.

The weekekend after my episode I walked to the park..and wanted to be sure if it was my heart..I set my gps to track my distance..I ran for 750 metres until my heart gave a little pain..I stopped.Trust me if I still had serious heart issues I would have died in that park and the truth is that is exactly what I wanted to find out..I knew it was dangerous but my frustration of being held back was extemely restricitve to the type of person I am..never fearing a challenge..not even fearing the gates of hell and wanting to endure the worst pain imaginable if I have to so that I can be the man I want to be and most of all me duty to my family ..

And so it began..the training..the evolution of my life..

A dedicated 6 day training schedule...Every day each muscle was to be smashed into painstaking submision to the point where I could not get back up of the floor for a while. The rule I set myself was every muscle every day despite the conventional rest every second day...

In the morning I built up my fitness..I walked 1.5 killometres then sprint train in intervals..30 seconds walk ,30 seconds jog..30 seconds sprint with all my might..I continue this cycle not giving a dam if I dropped dead the next second...what mattered is coming out of a workout feeling better for it feel ing stronger..shredding that excess fat that causes so many health problems..

My progree so far has been ..

November the 30th start date.. 44 inch stomach 87kgs.

December the 26th 41.5 inches 85 kgs.

Since December ..with christmas I decided to traineven harder..my waist measurement went down even farther to 40 inches and 83.5 kgs but I am intending for the purpose of this project to measure on the 26th of each month.

PROBLEM...After christmas I ran out of energy..at this time I increased my food /carbs and rested..today I am still recovering from fatigue but am feeling much much better.Next weel I am strting the cycle again.. I want to get rid of the fat..I want to be healthy,strong and get more energy back.In saying that I have also gained alot more energy since starting this routine.

In the morning I dont eat cereal but 6 egg whites and a bannana.At 10 am I have a coffee and tuna..midday Itry to eat crab meat or chicken and fruit.3 pm the same..Night time I dont eat everything on the plate but enough to do my workout of weights after dinner.

When I run in the morning I have a black coffee and no food.I then hit the roads.

My anxiety is way lower than before and my muscles are getting bigger than on any other program I have been on.My waist now nearly 5 inches smaller and back getting wider I feel amazing. My posture has been dramatically improved.My natural stance is taller .

Feeling....inside my tummy I do not feel bloated or puffy as I was when I was not execising..My left damaged shoulder stops hurtiing.. What can I say..? It is awesome.

A gauge that I have noticed is that people are coming up to me and asking what the heck I am doing ecuse they say my sj\kin looks fresher..younger..

As time progressed friends that havent sen me since November comment how I look like I have lost dramatic weight and again I look alot better. ..I dont thrive on others approval..my hard work dedication will hopefully pay big dividends when I see my heart surgeon for a stress test soon. This will be my ultimate meduim term goal..I want to enjoy this life to the fullest ..I dont want to be tired..I want to be strong...and i AM GETTING THERE.

If you want to try my workout then fire away...If not ..fair enough lol. Wish me luck anyway guys...

Congratulations on your success!!

HIIT (high intensity interval training) - in other words, the walk, jog, walk, sprint, that you are doing is the BEST thing for building up your aerobic tolerance and fat burning.

Have you invested in a good whey protein? Its very helpful, especially when you're working out excessively, to restore and build muscle. A shake after a work out and right before bed (protein absorption is especially high when you sleep) is extremely beneficial.

Try not to push yourself though - you SHOULD let your body rest for at least 24-48 hours, depending on the intensity of your work out, otherwise you are not giving your body a chance to mend itself and build the muscle back. Cardio everyday is fine, but try to do upper body one day, lower body the next, and alternate.

HIIT (high intensity interval training) - in other words, the walk, jog, walk, sprint, that you are doing is the BEST thing for building up your aerobic tolerance and fat burning.

Have you invested in a good whey protein? Its very helpful, especially when you're working out excessively, to restore and build muscle. A shake after a work out and right before bed (protein absorption is especially high when you sleep) is extremely beneficial.

Try not to push yourself though - you SHOULD let your body rest for at least 24-48 hours, depending on the intensity of your work out, otherwise you are not giving your body a chance to mend itself and build the muscle back. Cardio everyday is fine, but try to do upper body one day, lower body the next, and alternate.

I listen to my body..when I feel very fatigued I just walk that day...I know I wont look like big arine but I want my best health and body ever.

I wont take whey protein as before my heart problem I used it and it was uncanny how it solidified onthe walls of my glass .It makes me think it will stick to my atreries as well but thats just my observation.My main protein is egg whites as this is the most bioavailable natural protein. I tried the rest day off years ago and never gained any muscle but got skinnier.Now they are actually growing.I am doing lighter weights to absolute failure and cant lift them anymore..

I know why you posted this today because I needed to read it today. They closed my gym last month to move it to another building and it recently reopened. I need to be there tomorrow morning by 10:00am. Thanks, and I wish you the best results possible for your efforts.

Hahha thanks..You would be surprised at how little real life info there is for ex heart patients on life after. I know I am lucky to be alive as 1 in 4 people die. Still want to take this puppy to the limits!!

I know why you posted this today because I needed to read it today. They closed my gym last month to move it to another building and it recently reopened. I need to be there tomorrow morning by 10:00am. Thanks, and I wish you the best results possible for your efforts.

Glad I could be a reminder

Hey topbloke,

It takes a lot of courage, strength, determination and hard work to do what you have done already. You should be so proud that not only you have started this new lifestyle but that you have given it your dedication.

I want to get my health back and reading your post is the inspiration I needed to get my ass into gear!

Well done and keep up the good work!

Hey topbloke,

It takes a lot of courage, strength, determination and hard work to do what you have done already. You should be so proud that not only you have started this new lifestyle but that you have given it your dedication.

I want to get my health back and reading your post is the inspiration I needed to get my ass into gear!

Well done and keep up the good work!

Thank you sooo much for that. I see youre a young person. I hope you do it. I

I wish i was serious from before/younger but its never too late to fix...

You go girl!

Tb

I have found that eating directly after a workout to take advantage of what is commonly known as the window of opportunity leaves me feeling bloated and the protein doent seem to go anywhere. I can feel it sitting im my stomach.

I have my own theory on this..you see after and intense workout your body starts to recover...your heartbeat tries to get back to normal..muscles are begging for mercy..I have found that just drinking water then sitting down for 1 hour before eating seems to contract my stomach area .Then I eat and im fine.

Just got to this post and it rang a bell. Not the heart problems, but the weight issues. I too struggled until I made a change last year. It has been slow in progress but I am enjoying every other month getting into a smaller size pant. My waist (Don't gasp) was 44, now I am down to 36 and slowly getting smaller. I do something similar with the jog/walk...I walk 5 minutes fast, jog for 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, jog 1...I may consider your method now that my endurance has increase. I may sprint next time at the gym. Thanks top bloke. And good luck to great health!

Just got to this post and it rang a bell. Not the heart problems, but the weight issues. I too struggled until I made a change last year. It has been slow in progress but I am enjoying every other month getting into a smaller size pant. My waist (Don't gasp) was 44, now I am down to 36 and slowly getting smaller. I do something similar with the jog/walk...I walk 5 minutes fast, jog for 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, jog 1...I may consider your method now that my endurance has increase. I may sprint next time at the gym. Thanks top bloke. And good luck to great health!

Hahah great to see your giving it a go..I can relate to the smaller pants sizes as lately I run with one hand on my stopwatch and the other pulling my duds up!!lol

I must look like those old comedy movies!!

Hahah great to see your giving it a go..I can relate to the smaller pants sizes as lately I run with one hand on my stopwatch and the other pulling my duds up!!lol

I must look like those old comedy movies!!

Hehe...Here in the states we have Goodwill stores where people donate their old, gently used clothing. Some is donated to the homeless some is sold in this store for sometimes pennies!! I go there and buy a new pair of duds everyother month or so and only spend about $3 usd.

Hehe...Here in the states we have Goodwill stores where people donate their old, gently used clothing. Some is donated to the homeless some is sold in this store for sometimes pennies!! I go there and buy a new pair of duds everyother month or so and only spend about $3 usd.

Tis cool I want to burn my old wardrobe when everything needs a rope to hold it up!!!Then Ill get some newer threads

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update .. I went for a stress test a few days back.. Got on the treadmill ..a little nervous..finished the test then was taken to the consult room.

Doctor looked up at me seriously..i thought oh ..here we go! Then he told me that there were people in the fitness industry who could not complete the level I had completed!! I am still blown away by this.!

On a down side they shaved my chest and its very irritating lol

Archived