Got caught smoking pot, Don't really know what to do.

I am a 16 year old guy and I was caught by my parents smoking pot today with some of my friends. My older brother has gone through this sort of thing with drugs and partying and is currently in trouble for a DWI he got last summer. My parents have had to go through a lot with him and I don't want to do that. I don't want to hunt my parents like that but I don't want to stop smoking. It helps me relieve stress and it's just fun to do. I understand the conciquences of getting caught by my parents and the police and I have seen first hand how it can affect a family. Part of being a teenager is experimenting with different things, drugs being one of them, to figure out who they are. I dont really know what I am getting at with all this but I just wanted to vent some of my feelings.

i can relate to you on this topic, im also and 16 guy, though i dont smoke all my friends do, and though it is true that being a teenager does play a major role in your life, but smoking isnt the answer, you can try other things to relieve stress, like sports just hanging with close friends. hell go party go out have fun life is all about living it all up to the fullest, but smoking is a NO you wont get the true satisfaction of life through smoking, you get it through having a good time. on regards ti family it can hurt a family badly, and if you dont ant to see ur mother hurt and you know the consiquences then just stop. and remember its never too late

Good Luck

I'm not going to go "Drugs are bad", but i've taken my fair share of drugs (pot, coke, ex etc etc) but remember that you are 16, and you are young and still growing metally as well as physically, and taking drugs that effects your mind is a really bad idea. get through school first, collage/uni is the place to waste your life! I recently stopped smoking pot becasue i'm on anti-depressents and smoking lowers your seratonin (the stuff that makes you happy). I havent lost friends over it: in fact I really enjoy sitting around with a bunch of stoned people laughing with them.

Whenever you do drugs and it hurts other people and then you decide to keep doing them, you have a drug problem.

Don't kid yourself.

There is no reason in the world why you should be smoking pot. You can't smoke pot in your 20's when times get tough, when you need to put food on the table. You can't smoke pot in your 30's, when your kids get out of hand. You can't smoke pot in your 40's, when you have business deals on the table and you are trying to save for retirement.

So, don't think it's okay to smoke pot now "just to feel better". You need to know that it's important not to feel good about life sometimes so that you can fix the problems before you, not escape into fantasy land.

Again, whenever you do drugs and it hurts other people and then you decide to keep doing them, you have a drug problem.

• 3 years later...

Im a 15 year old girl and 2 days ago I got in trouble for smoking weed during lunch...Im suspended from school for 10 days and I'm probably gona get kicked off the tennis team. I have never smoked weed any other time than this and I don't particularily enjoy it. I deffinitly screwed myself over and I don't know how to handle this...regret is the worst feeling you can ever feel and that's all I have felt for the past couple of days. I let peer pressure get the best of me and I feel like an idiot for giving in to it. I'm really not a bad kid...I just make the decisions of one. So does that make me a bad person? That's like all I think about now and I don't want people to think that of me... I just want someone to tell me it's gona be ok, but what if it's not? What am I going to do? I feel like I let a lot of people down...like my mom and my step dad...I wish I could fix this but I don't know how! What should I do?!?!

I don't mean to be harsh, but its time to grow up guys. They aren't call dopeheads for nothing. Drugs are a waste of time, money and brain cells. Alcohol is for grown ups and even then should be outlawed. Its garbage!

You want to end up setting on a couch someplace with a bunch of dummies lighting up, with no money, education or future. Or do you want to make something of yourself? Its your choice..don't f##k it up!

*edit* Bijan, I think your a good person, but did a stupid thing. Thats ok, everybody can do stupid things. Just don't make the same mistake twice ok!?!

Wait at least a couple more years before you start that kind of experimenting. At your age, smoking pot has a permanent effect on your brain. Once you're an adult, smoking a bit of pot every once in a while does not have permanent effects.

Shifty-Whats fun? The getting caught part or the hurting other people part? Or feeling like you are doing something "cool" or sneaky? I don't want to come off too harsh here but as I have seen with another poster, I have done my share of drugs...my #1 drug was alcohol, I have been sober for 17 years...The first SEVEN times at various rehabs did not take until I was put into a State run facility for 4 months....I did not recover at some celeb relax center, it was hard work getting there, the hurt, pain, suffering, injury I caused to myself and other people...Funny how some of us have to be pulled out of the pool of mud right before we drown...when all we have to do is be honest with OURSELVES and ask for help...Do not be fooled...Anything can be addictive to the right personality...sorry if I preached a little in there..take care.

I'm not lecturing....I said I think she made a mistake and can fix it. I just want Bijan to know that its just not worth it letting peer pressure or curiosity to mess up his/her life.....

Sorry, but this is a touchy subject with me...my beloved grandfather was murdered by a drunk...I take this very seriously!

This is a very serious thing.. yes, it's normal to experiment, but why continue to make a choice to "indulge in altering your state of mind?"... it's a weak choice, and it's also letting go of the most precious attractive power you have, YOUR MIND... so try to quit, get some help, learn to relieve stress in a healthy way, go to the gym, learn a new hobby, do something to improve yourself, and face life's stress head on with courage,

develop your character, and try to NOT continue to "escape from stress with pot"..ugh.. so unattrative, unwise, and YOU are worthy of building your strength of character and having the self respect and class to withdraw from an activity that is hurtful to you, your parents, your future, your now, your hope, you ability to "deal with things in a healthy way"...

YOU have the choice, try to make a choice that YOU are so very worthy of... stop the pot... you will be better off, and you deserve the opportunity to grow past all this....so give it to yourself the option to do so.. Your parents love you, they deserve your respect, and you've already witnessed your brother making some bad choices that effect the whole family.. so be the hero here, start the healing within yourself..

I'm not lecturing....I said I think she made a mistake and can fix it. I just want Bijan to know that its just not worth it letting peer pressure or curiosity to mess up his/her life.....

Sorry, but this is a touchy subject with me...my beloved grandfather was murdered by a drunk...I take this very seriously!

I think it's a stretch to make the leap from pothead to alcoholic to violent criminal type (did you ever want to kill anyone because you were stoned?). More important than our disagreement on that point, though, you have my deepest sympathies for your grandfather's murder.
I think it's a stretch to make the leap from pothead to alcoholic to violent criminal type

He wasn't a violent criminal. He was a drunk, plain and simple. He had a few beers, thought he could drive and proceeded to slam headfirst into my Pa's Toyata pickup with a older model Impala. The steering column was forced away from its mounts and drove itself through my Pa's chest!

Alcohol, HIS drug of choice got my grandfather killed! Just because this man refused to take control and stop using drugs, my Pa died alone and in great pain on a lonely stretch of highway one night. The only man I ever knew as a father figure, gone because of alcohol....

Illegal Drugs and alcohol are meant to do one thing, destroy! You know it and I know it. They have no frickin' place in society. All they do is destroy, be it brain cells or lives...period!

Bijan...I don't mean to rant, I really don't. But I'm on my knees begging you, don't make such a horrible mistake again. Chalk this up to a very important life lesson, and learn it well.

Amber, no need to say any more Mama! You have my sympathies.

my uncle had some problems like yours, only he is 23 years old! Now he is fine, but it really screwed up his whole life, (he was mianly doing it because his mom died more than a year earlier, and he was crazy) He had to go to jail for like.... idk? Maybe 5 months or so, but do no do drugs because DRUGS RUINE DREAMS!! Good luck in juvie.... sorry, but thats probabily where you'll be going. Now he is painting the out sode of our house, until he finds another job. But like his drug problem was like maybe 1 1/2 years ago. He still smokes though, sad.

OCEAN!?!

Bijan, your not going to go to juvi! Not over one joint. You will face repercussion, yes, but jail time? No, I doubt that. You most likely will be forbidden to be on the team for a year...plus the loss of trust from your parents and other authority figures in you life.

Your not a bad kid, you just made a bad move...one that I don't think you'll make again.

• 1 month later...

Alright...I registered just because I saw this discussion. I know this is a little old, but seriously, I must reply.

Are you people kidding yourselves? Maybe you should take the time to LOOK UP all of these "facts". For one, pot is NOT addictive. In comparison to something else, coffee is more addictive than marijuana. Theres a difference in being dependent on something and actually WANTING something every once in a while. It's like going out to eat, you don't have to do it and spend the extra money on gas and the food, but its nice every once in a while. Pot has NO long term affects on the brain...only short. EXAMPLE: While you are high...its unlikely you will remember a certain phone number that you heard two days ago. Short term is not to be confused with losing your memory outside of the high. You won't have any effects. As for the tar information. It's only twice as much tar as a single cigarette. But honestly, do you smoke 20 joints a day? Think about that.

Obviously, doing any kind of drug while driving is bad. I recommend that nobody drives while high or drunk on anything. But comparing a stupid drunk who smashed into something and killed your grandfather(sorry to hear that) and someone who just smoked a joint is wrong, though. Drunk people are likely to lose control of a vehicle or see double/blurred vision...smoking pot while driving causes you to have a higher chance of getting lost, causes you to take your time, make wrong decisions...blah blah. It's very possible that you can wreck while driving stoned, but don't compare it to driving drunk.

As for potheads being "dumb", you are very misinformed. Smoking marijuana increases your brain functions in the department of imagination. You can also put deep thought into finding an answer or solution, and come out of that thought with a creative solution you would have never thought of if you were not high. I know of someone who made a website about how bad it is to smoke cigarettes. He made/thought of it completely while being high. He thought outside the box, and used arguments OTHER than just Cancer and death. If anyone wants to bring up the brain cell argument about pot, okay bring it. Pot STUNS brain cells, it doesn't destroy them. The brain cells put on hold quickly establish themselves back to the way they were. Besides, the brain cell argument would only go so far if pot actually killed them anyway, because you lose brain cells if you hit your head a certain way(not hard, you could tap it in some spots). You lose brain cells EVERYDAY.

Theres a common misunderstanding in the reasoning that pot makes you lazy. It actually doesn't. If you were lazy before you started smoking pot, then by golly you'll gonna be lazy while smoking it. Don't try to find the most obvious answer to problems, because most of the time, you're looking in the wrong place. EXAMPLE: When there is a violent shooting or something, people blame video games. Come on, what the heck? What about television? Isn't there gore and violence on cable? I'm pretty sure there is, but NO, everyone has to blame video games. Theres even increasing violence in cartoons. Come on! THINK people. My favorite genre of video games is shooters, I have not a one thought to go out and kill or injure someone nor do any of my friends.

In conclusion, don't believe everything you hear/read from the government, the media, or anyone falsely claiming these problems. Should you trust a government who has just spent almost 3,500 BILLION dollars just in this stupid "war" with Iraq? Where were the weapons of mass destruction, eh? Exactly. Wanna know the real reason that pot is illegal? There are millions of businesses, services, blah blah that would lose money if it were legal. Logging companies would be losing money due to the extremely effective growing of cannabis. Obviously, it can make paper...rather well. Cannabis has other uses, other than getting high, you know. To the government...they think "What they don't know, won't hurt them". Take time to research actual experiments by actual scientists, not just random experiments the government "have".

So don't kid yourself, pot doesn't ruin your life/dreams, it's the person's responsibility and determination that will get you somewhere. Pot doesn't take those two things away, so how does it ruin lives?

EDIT: Forgot to give advice on the topic, itself. Obviously if you didn't like it, and you are afraid of what people might think, DON'T do it again. It isn't for everyone. But I do recommend that you do not drink alcohol period. Way too many problems with it. I hope all went well, and you are able to regain your reputation. The misinformed can be harsh sometimes.

• 11 months later...

bro iv been throw the same thing just keep sober until the wind blows over with your parents after that only do it when it is relitivly safe use calone and chew gum and eye drops dont stash stuff at the houce when ever posoble and if you have alerges use it to your advantige and i agree with ghost and if you smoke anything it will have tar in it becouse of combustion and thares no tar if you vaporize or eat it in brownies and being high whial driving makes you less likely to speed or anything cus you dont want to be pulld over and the govs conspericy that buying pot funds tarorisum is stupid and if it dus why dont thay legalize it so it wont

• 1 year later...