Risking STD’s for love or sex

rosephase

hmmm, JS, rose is actually right. it is not an std. but in VERY rare occasions you can give it to your partner's genital area by giving oral! but most of the time, it doesn't cause outbreaks and if it causes those outbreaks it is like 10 times less than the ones herpes2 can cause. So basically it is not that much of a risk to worry about if you have a good immune system and your partner doesn't have an active ourbreak at the moment. believe me I read about it and I can gove you sources if you want.

No, she said it is an std.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you can have HSV2 on you mouth and get it the same way as HSV1. People assume they have 1 because it is on there mouth and that simple isn't true. And no I don't think you should make a kid feel bad. But you should let them know what they have. I mean they could spread it and it's stigma, isn't that what you are all saying I do?

It sucks but 5 year olds can have STDs they can have AIDs. Are you saying AIDs isn't an STD?

Rose, The things you said are actually right, but the fact that you like to tell ppl they have an std for something that is not that important really and a whole lot of people have it is just not cool and cause them getting defensive. I think many made it clear that they don't want to go for nasty things and apparently HSV1 is not as nasty.

I like talking about it. Like I have said to you before about my post that you don't like, having other ideas out there is crucial for us all to learn and grow. I didn't mean to beat up on Mythical, I really like what she has to say about a lot of things, but misinformation is always hard for me to listen, especially around sex it is SO hard to get thru all the myths and misconceptions.

And yes SOME people say that HSV1 isn't an STD, but it is. And the fact is she didn't even know which type she has. And it is fine for her because she is in a loving relationship with one partner who knows about it but what about other people under that misconceptions a good friend of mine got HSV1 on her genitals because her partner didn't know it could spread that way.

depends how you want to define an std. something that you can catch just with sexual encounter or something that you can catch in some other ways but can spread it in a sexual way? I dont know what the def is really.

I think it is safe to say that HSV1 being an STD is very ambiguous at this time and not classified in the same rankings as AIDS, HSV2, gonorreah, chlymadia, etc.

But I still don't know what knowing this does to change any of the content on the thread that has been posted thus far.

Bottomline we live in scary times and safety and caution should never be viewed as old fashioned.

If anyone is worried about std stigma they should realize that fearing catching an std is not imposing a stigma on anyone. Refusing to shake the hand of someone who has an STI or have non-sexual contact that we would otherwise have with that person, now that is stigma. Making someone feel bad for having an STI, that is stigma. Fearing catching one through unprotected or otherwise risky sex, is not stigma. It's being smart about health.

I don't think the thread was useless. I think that these things should be talked about. I just think that you are hoping to get to a world that is not as "old fashioned" about STD's and I am just saying I hope we never do.

Sigh. I didn't think I was going to change anybodies mind. It's just the hope for me that if I keep letting people know what I think, if I keep starting the conversation maybe one day, at very lest, it won't be as hard to talk about and people won't be as scared to be clear with there partners, and to get tested.

I'm lucky my group of friends is like this already, but I feel compelled to talk to people who don't believe the way I do.

Anyway, thank you for sticking it out and being rational even when I lose it. It is something I care deeply about and while I try to stay cool it isn't always easy.

ALL strains of herpes are STD's it doesn’t matter how you got them they CAN be sexually transmitted. That is why they are called an STD. You can get AIDs from ways other then sex it is STILL an STD. If you have "cold sores" you HAVE an STD. It doesn’t matter if you got it from your granny when you where two. You have an STD.

How do you not know that?

chicken pox is herpes.... since when was chicken pox an std?

I agree with you on the stance that to view anyone with an STD as dirty or nasty is wrong. It can happen to anyone, even when they are trying to be careful.

The only thing i really disagreed with was the saying that people who wouldn't sleep with a person knowing they had an STD was wrong or being judgemental. Actually they aren't. They are just knowing a risk, and choosing not to take it.

I agree with you on the stance that to view anyone with an STD as dirty or nasty is wrong. It can happen to anyone, even when they are trying to be careful.

The only thing i really disagreed with was the saying that people who wouldn't sleep with a person knowing they had an STD was wrong or being judgemental. Actually they aren't. They are just knowing a risk, and choosing not to take it.

What is WRONG is knowing you have an STD, and having multiple partners.

offtopic but I dont know why I think you are the best on this forum and have this weird feeling about you, oh I know cause you have evanessense avatar always.. I LOOOOVEE HEER!

Don't be mad at me folks, I delet this post after a little while.

This is a thread about STD's. Stop thinking about having sex with DYT. Not that she has one...just sayin.

lol

Did I say that? If I did, I really didn't mean to. I think I just said that it was crazy to me to walk away from someone who might be the love of you life because they have an STD.

But by all means if it is a big deal to you it might be better then being with them and getting it and being bitter about it, that would be bad for everyone.

But it is judgmental, there is nothing bad about being judgmental...sometimes.

The first time I ever had sex my ex boyfriend, he gave me HPV. This was a horrible relationship where I later learned he had cheated on me and that's how I got it. I beat myself up for over a year, I wouldn't touch anyone and I obviously wasn't having sex. I was worried at the age of 18 that I was going to get cervical cancer and die! It wasn't until later that I could really see things from a more accurate perspective.

After dumping my horrible ex-boyfriend I met my current boyfriend. We started off as friends and he knew what I had from the very beginning. We had both only been with one other person. I can't tell you how many times I cried over 'not deserving him' or being 'gross.' He finally helped me realize that if you really love someone that it's completely worth it. The fact what I have never bothered him made me love him that much more.

I'd like to think that if I had never had HPV and met someone who had some kind of STD that I could show that same kind of love, but I'm not sure. I know that I could, because I understand it doesn't just happen to sexually 'deviant' people.

Yes. Stop the spread of infection...why on earth would you purposely take the risk of infecting others?

I agree. It's one thing if you are in an exclusive relationship to take such a risk, but why risk spreading the disease, for selfish reasons. If someone was okay with you pushing them off a bridge, would you do it? I know I wouldn't. It shouldn't matter if they are ok with it, she shouldn't be putting others at such a high risk.

Yes. Stop the spread of infection...why on earth would you purposely take the risk of infecting others?

I do it because if my boyfriend hadn't "purposely take the risk of infecting" me I would never get to sleep with him. And um, I like sleeping with him. I like sleeping with my other partners to. I am clear with them as I would hope they would be clear with me. I wouldn't like it very much if someone that I loved and wanted to sleep with made that decision for me, so I don't make it for other people. It's up to them. I have never given it to anyone, I've never even had an outbreak but I tell anyone I kiss, or even share Chap Stick with. I leave it up to them.

I agree. It's one thing if you are in an exclusive relationship to take such a risk, but why risk spreading the disease, for selfish reasons. If someone was okay with you pushing them off a bridge, would you do it? I know I wouldn't. It shouldn't matter if they are ok with it, she shouldn't be putting others at such a high risk.

That is a pretty unfair comparison. I mean...geez.

Archived