All the world's a stage?!? Hopeing for some "Mod" imput too.

Posting EXACT correspondence on ENA  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Posting EXACT correspondence on ENA

• I don't see anything wrong with it
    • Meh, no-one will find it
    • Hmmm, I never thought of that, maybe you're right
    • I'm so unhappy that I don't care anyway

If they don't know who wrote it, I don't see the problem. Sometimes text is ambiguous and an objective audience who will help you to understand what was written is extremely beneficial.

And also, when we get an email, we may have bias.

We may be looking for only the good. Or only the bad going into it.

Completely changing the intent.

There are actually no government names, ages, or address on the threads so in acutality it's not slander/libel or any form of it. For all we know the person could have composed the whole conversation one way and it never occurred or it was not at all positive. This is an advice forum so if someone feels comfortable putting all their business out in the streets then so be it. most of the time we come on here and all are confused as hell about some issues and I suppose it may be better for them to expose the naked truth to get an accurate response.

What they drink don't make you urinate-does it? So it is what it is-let them live and breathe in their moment of distress. What is it to you? Don't send emails or texts then you won't be "exposed"

OMG

I agree with Kat Mommy.

Sometimes if you put the text out verbatim, it's less skewed than just a paraphrasing of what was said, so the poster will be better served.

So long as names, emails and other identifying information are left out, I believe that person's anonymity (and thereforee, privacy) is protected well enough. I voted for I don't see anything wrong with it.

This is tricky. Sometimes I see something wrong with it, sometimes I don't.

Obviously, if there is any risk of it getting back to the person, or of the person's identity being revealed then there is definitely something wrong with it... and yeah... the fact that they are sometimes very intimate thoughts just meant for two... that can make me twitch some as well....

But on the other hand, this is, for the most part, an anonymous forum meant to support people, who are often very hurt and confused and could use the help sorting things out sometimes.

Personally, I feel strange doing this... and I would sooner re-post my own words to someone else for critique. But if I am asking an opinion on what someone meant when they said something to me... I might just use a snippet of a conversation with some backstory, and not the whole thing.

It IS a touchy subject.

it's is a sticky situation. but just about anything on the internet is public record. then again, if you have to sign into something, for instance and email service, i would think it's private. and on the flip side, it's not your email company providing you the service, technically, it's theirs.

i had a court case thing i was dealing with with some crazy chick that did me wrong. lawyer told me to save all emails as evidence. so....i guess the privacy is null.

There's nothing wrong with this. I believe that people who are posting verbatim their emails or texts, they want to convey the whole truth of the situations at hand. This is no violation of privacy since there are NO REAL NAMES being shared on this site! Lighten up ClemO... Did someone post something that you wrote to them???

I agree. But it would be a lot worse if real names were included. I also think it's really unfair when people come and post about their significant others and paint them in a very bad light and make them sound really awful, excluding details, then people post their advice and their sympathies to that person for having to deal with someone so "awful". Sure, they might be telling the truth, but how would we know? After all sometimes pain and anger brings out the worst in us. I don't like when people talk awful about somebody when that person isn't there to defend him/herself and tell his/her version of things.

Legally as others have said there is no violation there. However, on the grounds of morality, the same could be said about people posting their stories here. Details are in some posts quite explicit. Could you then say that a person's 'right' to privacy has been violated because someone has described their actions in detail? Here too they didn't know that their actions would be posted on a forum.

It may not have a much bearing as their words to some, but it is still, essentially going behind someone's back, which I assume is part of the majority's problem with posting e-mails. Sometimes posting e-mail or text exchange is very relevant to the post and the question asked by the poster. Generally if there is no indication in the post about who the people involved are, it's unlikely to harm whoever the post is about. The only way you'd find out then is if you know the people involved or are one of them - but then again you would be able to pick up on that from the story posted, not necessarily just an e-mail.

It might not be legally wrong but let's just say it shows little tact. You can google text that is verbatim and it comes up so the people who do this should realize that and act accordingly.

To say people should never email or text to avoid it ever being published is ridiculous. Then i guess people should stop communicating altogether. most people trust that they can have some modicum of confidence when talking to people they deem a trusted friend.

I have never turned on anyone in my life to the point I would expose anything private that they shared with me because it is tactless and i don't roll like that.

It might not be legally wrong but let's just say it shows little tact. You can google text that is verbatim and it comes up so the people who do this should realize that and act accordingly.

To say people should never email or text to avoid it ever being published is ridiculous. Then i guess people should stop communicating altogether. most people trust that they can have some modicum of confidence when talking to people they deem a trusted friend.

I have never turned on anyone in my life to the point I would expose anything private that they shared with me because it is tactless and i don't roll like that.

You go gurl....tell 'em like it is!!!!!

You can google text that is verbatim and it comes up so the people who do this should realize that and act accordingly.

I can see that happening with e-mails, but text messages? Millions are sent back and forth every day, and I suspect very few people would google that to see who has relayed their words. I believe that if someone had found their e-mail on here they would ask the Mods to remove it, no?

Doesn't it also depend on the poster's intention? What if they have come to the forum asking for help and the e-mail/text is relevant to their question? I think this does depend on the nature of the post, whether it is to flame someone or genuinely someone looking for help.

Archived