why is sex always blamed on the guy?

iambrazilian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I dare someone to come back with that sort of attitude when dating my child.. They will not be very happy afterwards. I can guarantee that.

Right because it would be perfectly reasonable for a parent to threaten to hack a young mans penis off while he's within earshot and done nothing wrong

It was totally classless behaviour, and sometimes two wrongs can make a right (or at least make you feel better). It was obviously meant as a joke since saying that would ruin any future he had with this girl, but if I had nothing to lose I'd consider it well within my rights to respond to her with the same amount of thought and care that she put in to what she said.

Yeah, the stereotype is a very horrible generalization!!

There are differences between the genders, obviously; guys cannot become pregnant so naturally there would be more concern for the female party. Teenage pregnancy is a scary thought. So it makes sense that that would be a large contributing factor here. And the fact that us females are (generally!) more physically vulnerable and sex can hurt us. And so can having babies. Which I imagine is no fun at all.

But especially now, with there being quite a bit more sexual liberation than in the past (well not in the PAST past, I imagine homo erectus was a lot less concerned about his girlfriend's parents throwing a hissy fit cause he seduced their daughter!), the stereotype of girls having no power over their sex lives is quite outdated. Just speaking for myself, ha ha, I am a naturally exploratory person and my mind is not exactly all 'pure' and chaste I took the initiative in my current relationship, to start that conversation and get things rolling in that direction, after I was sure I was comfortable to do so. Which was nice; I would be pretty indignant if my boyfriend started pressuring me, even though I know he would never. But it makes sense - as stated above, we are the ones with more to lose here! Plus with better birth control methods nowadays and all - isn't it logical that we take hold of that aspect of our lives? This is just my point of view though, I am sure other people prefer to do things more traditionally. But conventionality isn't always a good thing

Course I am partly theorizing, I haven't gotten all the way there yet. But naturally curious person that I am, I am sure that there are some very esoteric practices I've missed, but I know quite a horrifying amount about sex. hahahaha. I am not sure if my parents are fully aware of this; I imagine they too would rather think of their child as just that, and don't want me to go growing up and everything I don't want to know about their sex life, so I'm naturally keeping mine to myself unless something really not good happened. LOL. Like I'd expect I'd get told if my mom somehow got pregnant, you know? I know they may disapprove of me being fairly youngish (as I imagine you might) but I do know what I am getting into here. The emotional part is slightly intimidating, but we are moving slowly and we have very good communication. I'm not expecting perfection but I am doing my darnedest to not do things I am going to regret. There has to be a first time for everything...but I digress. hehe.

It's all to do with the fact that the guy has the plug while the girl has the socket! So it's like the guy is doing it / giving it to the girl! Think electrical appliances... It's the one with the plug that's usually "using" the socket!

Also, a girl can't really force a guy to have sex... if he's not in the mood, then... But it might be misconstrued that the girl has been taken advantage of...

you know why fathers get this attitude about their daughters? i mean come on, we are guys. you know how we can be. fathers have been there too. put it together.

My point exactly..

When you become a parent, especially if you have a daughter you will be the same exact way because face it, you know how guys are.. I never once said it made you exempt from anything but you would understand it alittle more if you did have kids.

I don't have kids. But I have teenage nieces and have felt that same irrational "what? he tried to do what?" and I read into even the nicest conversation some evil intent. I felt the same way when I taught children and when I worked with children recently in a shelter.

I do understand that parents in certain cases have every entitlement to say "you'll know when you're a parent" but in this case I think the experiences of aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers all are just as relevant and valid.

I don't have kids. But I have teenage nieces and have felt that same irrational "what? he tried to do what?" and I read into even the nicest conversation some evil intent. I felt the same way when I taught children and when I worked with children recently in a shelter.

I do understand that parents in certain cases have every entitlement to say "you'll know when you're a parent" but in this case I think the experiences of aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers all are just as relevant and valid.

Some people are engaged with others' children and some aren't. Parental concern for one's own child, on the other hand, is presumed to be universally present and potent. I don't believe that MS was remiss in not including a 'grandfather clause' in her statement.

Uh...well guys are known by society to be horny little creatures. That might contribute. Plus girls are supposed to be perfect little princesses.

When I fist started dating my boyfriend he was 18 and I was 17, we're about 9 months apart. And my parents said if we had sex they'd file a suet against him, for like...being with a minor. Which is retarded, ugh. When they found out though I was just barely 18.

That was horrible. My dad didn't talk to me for a week.

It shouldn't be blamed solely on the guy, I agree but I don't think we can change the way society thinks on that front just yet.

Uh...well guys are known by society to be horny little creatures. That might contribute. Plus girls are supposed to be perfect little princesses.

When I fist started dating my boyfriend he was 18 and I was 17, we're about 9 months apart. And my parents said if we had sex they'd file a suet against him, for like...being with a minor. Which is retarded, ugh. When they found out though I was just barely 18.

That was horrible. My dad didn't talk to me for a week.

It shouldn't be blamed solely on the guy, I agree but I don't think we can change the way society thinks on that front just yet.

i think girls are quite horny as well

i think girls are quite horny as well

Indeed. And obviously it is not fully ignored, though it is not taken as a threat. General social opinion, in our culture anyways, seems to see girls being overtly sexual as harmless, and even desired, as long as promiscuity is not implied and there is a veneer of innocence. Whereas for males, as they are traditionally more in a position of power to cause harm and unwanted 'corruption' of us females, their intent is seen as something to be defended against.

Because sexism is perfectly ok so long as it is a man being sexisted.

Infact in that case it is usually encourageable. Why ? becuase women have more rights than men.

Yes, that is one of your mantras -- maybe some day you'll actually post a link to an authoritative source (not just anecdotes about your extended family) that backs that up.

Which "rights" are you referring to? I don't worry much about sexism -- there are other issues that I focus on more - but typically when there is sexism, the woman is the one being treated unfairly, not the man.

Yes, that is one of your mantras -- maybe some day you'll actually post a link to an authoritative source (not just anecdotes about your extended family) that backs that up.

Which "rights" are you referring to? I don't worry much about sexism -- there are other issues that I focus on more - but typically when there is sexism, the woman is the one being treated unfairly, not the man.

Maybe you're the one who needs to do a little bit of research.

Archived