I'm sure there are already 1,000 of these posts but none the less...here goes..

I've been dating this girl for about a month...

she is a 20 year old waitress putting herself through college and I'm 30 with a 6 figure income. Money isn't an object to me, and I would like to get her something nice, but without going overboard(which I always seem to do ](*,))

Money for her is a big deal and so I have told her that all I want from her is for her to do something imaginative and sexy on christmas day night for me.

she said she was going to do that anyway, and wants to know of something else...which...there really isn't anything else I want!!

I asked her what she wants and she said "just something sweet"

people I have asked have said flowers...and/or a night out at a really nice place...but the problem is that I spend more on her durring the week when we go out to eat somewhere than I would on flowers...and her and I go out to eat at least 2 nights a week already...and usually at someplace really nice for one of those nights.

so...that really wouldn't be doing anything out of the norm if I did that.

whats like a good dollar limit ya think? I was thinking $150...but I'm not sure...theres a pair of sunglasses I know she really wants, but they are $220, and her birthday is valentines day so I was just going to hold off on those till then...

someone sugested a gift cirtificate at a day spa here...but I've always felt it to be kindof cheesey to give gift cirtificates as presents to girlfriends...just seems like theres not heart behind em...I dunno...am I wrong on that??

I wouldn't give her a gift certificate. I think they are kind of unthoughtful. I kind of see it as being "heres some money, you can ONLY spend at xxxx" Might as well give the person money.

But for month of going out, Def give her flowers, a cute stuffed animal, and like you said money isn't a problem maybe get her the sunglasses. But that should be it. No more than that. If not the sunglasses, maybe a cute necklace that isn't too much.

I wouldn't spend more than 300 all together.

You could do 3 or 4 things you've heard her say she really likes. You could get her favourite piece of chocolate, walk her down her favourite part of the city, take her to her favourite restaurant. And do them in the space of three to four hours in an evening. 1 after the other. She'll be completely blown away!

Then stop and don't do it anymore for a while. It's a good way to do nice things without being SUPA NICE!

I'm against giving gifts that soon, unless it's completely trivial and non-mushy mushy.

oh ya...I'm not going totally mush on this...just tryin to get some ideas here.

I mean...her an I's relationship isn't some lovey-dovey gooey mess...it's more of a fun, party'n, laugh'n at eachother type of relationship. but at the same time we do have our sweet moments.

so the gift ideas are just for something more fun/friendly and light...instead of some big show of flowers, long walks, dinner & candles stuff. gross. we aren't to the romance part of this relationshp yet.

if she says she wants something 'sweet', then that eliminates a lot of stuff...

don't go for anything 'practical...'

sweet usually means something that makes her go, 'awwww, isn't that sweet...'

how about you get her some candy and say, 'well, you said you wanted something sweet.... ' then perhaps also a pair of sweet little earrings, or a necklace or something she can wear and think of you with... doesn't have to be real expensive, but something small and tasteful.

don't go for lingerie for someone you've been dating for only a month... that's a gift for YOU more than her, and may make her think you're only in it for the sex, especially if she is a lot younger than you.

i think if you make 6 figures $150 is not too much to spend, so you can get a nice pair of small ruby, or perhaps her birthstone in earrings... that would be sweet...

Since money is no object to you and she probably knows that, then maybe you can just go away for the week-end, or give her tickets to a concert, or buy her a bracelet that is under $150.

Something "sweet" means that she wants you to do something thoughtful, so if you know her at all and you know what kind of stuff she likes, then maybe make her a CD, make her dinner, give her a massage....things that show that you are doing something, not just buying something.

you know what would be sweet. a $100 savings bond. she needs money. why not give her money that will accumulate that she can't touch for 5 years or something. so when she is done with college she has something to help pay it back. it's sweet and she will remember it forever.

Aw, ghost! A savings bond? He said it wasn't that romantic yet, he didn't say it was ANTI-ROMANTIC!! Lol.

I don't think the gift certificate is BAD idea. Once she's in the spa and feeling great, it feels like great gift. But there's no fun in opening it together at all, and I think you can do better.

How about a singing telegram/flowers/sweets thing? Get a male stud muffin to ring the doorbell and belt out the song of your choice (or her choice, better yet!) then lavish her with the goodies that he's brought. That ought to bring laughter and fun, AND sweets, and flowers all at once. Maybe make a combo thing out of it. The customized singing and get-up routine being the highlight so the flowers and candy bit don't seem cheap or unoriginal.

Something "sweet" means that she wants you to do something thoughtful, so if you know her at all and you know what kind of stuff she likes, then maybe make her a CD, make her dinner, give her a massage....things that show that you are doing something, not just buying something.

we already make eachother CD's like every week...music is one of the things that we really click on...I have like 22,000 songs on my computer and she has like 18,000...and we are constantly burning new ones and saying "here...check this out"

I cook dinner at least once a week. I love too cook and I'm damn good at it too...so thats really nothing "special"

and I give her back rubs & massages almost every night she stays over...

so...in essense...what I'm hearing is that I already spoil this girl...jesus I'm a sucker for a girl with a cute butt...](*,)

i also make a six figure income and the guy im (kinda) seeing makes a bit less. he is a sports collector so i bought him an authenic NFL helmet of his favorite team (about $200) keep in mind we've been dating for approx a year, i told him i wanted a new ipod about ($150). if it where up to me, i wouldnt exchange presents at all, im much more into speading the day doing christmas things and making memories that i will remember forever. if i were you, why dont you take her to a nice dinner and/or buy her really nice perfume and a sweater (about 100). remember you have only been dating for a month..and its not an overwhelming present but its quite personal.

we already make eachother CD's like every week...music is one of the things that we really click on...I have like 22,000 songs on my computer and she has like 18,000...and we are constantly burning new ones and saying "here...check this out"

I cook dinner at least once a week. I love too cook and I'm damn good at it too...so thats really nothing "special"

and I give her back rubs & massages almost every night she stays over...

so...in essense...what I'm hearing is that I already spoil this girl...jesus I'm a sucker for a girl with a cute butt...](*,)

Well, then she really does not need anything because you treat her very well, so the XMAS gift is just a formality, or a commercial marketing ploy, depending how you look at it.

Take her ice-skating and buy her a hot cocoa, and give her the damn sun glasses already, because you already spoil her as it is.

get a recording of a barking puppy and put it in a box. then have cans of snakes jump out. lol. then hand her a kitten.

haha....thats fun.

except no way on the kitten...she is alergic.

and its WAY too early in this relationship to bring something like a pet into it...hell..thats just one step away from a kid!!

haha....thats fun.

except no way on the kitten...she is alergic.

and its WAY too early in this relationship to bring something like a pet into it...hell..thats just one step away from a kid!!

it is sweet though. buy her a star. they sell them here at the planetarium. you can find it online too. and it is registered with NASA. i heard that is really sweet.

and her and I go out to eat at least 2 nights a week already...and usually at someplace really nice for one of those nights.

sI was thinking $150...but I'm not sure...theres a pair of sunglasses I know she really wants, but they are $220,

someone suggested a gift certificate at a day spa here...but I've always felt it to be kind of cheesy to give gift certificates as presents to girlfriends...just seems like theres not heart behind em...I dunno...am I wrong on that??

....well you are spending waaay to much this early in a relationship.

If you have some extra money ship it to me too lol

150$ is too much for a present at this point in time.

I got a certificate for spa for my birthday and I was thrilled...but it costed around 150$ and if it's the same at your place..you'll be spending the same amount as on those glasses....in other words too much.

If it's not that expensive I like it as a gift.

Or you can buy her a nice box of expensive hand made chocolate (if you have that) and some cute funny bijoux earrings she might like....you can even add a scarf ... and that would be enough.

I would be thrilled with that, but I prefer only gifts that are useful and practical ( I am an economist lol), instead cheesy and romantic plus I hate surprises so be careful about that particular suggestion i made .

Archived