What would you do if a married woman asked you out for dinner?

rs.dallaire

I recall reading a study that said that in India people tend to be happier in their arranged marriages, then we are here in the West where we have the freedom to marry whomever we choose. Maybe we place too great expectations on marriage- we expect to be in love with our spouse at 60 the same way at 20, wheras in India love is something that develops over the course of time out of necessity.

This is very true. I have always tried to explain that arranged marriages DO work very well but could never find the right words to explain why. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Not only in India, as a matter of fact where I come from it's the same. And those people who get an arranged marriage are very open minded, educated and smart. Arranged marriages work very well in these parts of the world. I don't think arranged marriages would have a chance of success if implemented in the west though.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted by pianoguy

I think really what it comes down to is whether you believe cheating is wrong or not- if it's wrong, it's wrong regardless, or if it's okay, it's okay regardless.

I think if two people are married to each other and are honest with each other (and monogamous), then cheating breaches that trust. But what happens when that trust is already breached, when it is clear two people are tolerating each other as room mates and neither had the courage to say they deserve better, either for themselves or their spouse??

My boyfriend and I have a mutual friend who confessed this was his situation, and that he cheated several times before he was caught, and resumed activities (with someone else) several years after being caught. He said his spouse didn't know about all the affairs, only the one where the gal told his wife EVERYTHING. This was before he got involved with another woman (his current situation).

His kids are all adults, with kids of their own. We think he's just trying to get out of his marriage, and when his wife wanted him back after he moved out (after he was caught), he felt pressured by his adult kids that he had to do this. After all, why risk getting caught again unless you really do want to leave the marriage but don't want to confront your now roommate partner that this is the case?

Personally I prefer the solo version, which is what I did some years ago. When things deteriorated and it was evident we were two different people who grew in opposite directions, we got a divorce, healed, and then I found my prince charming. But I didn't have an ex who guilted me back into being married because society and our families expected us to pretend we are happy when we were not.

This is such a loaded and complex issue, and ultimately there is no cookie cutter solution nor do I believe there should be one ultimate judgement conferred on those who do cheat, other then that they do not have the fortitude to look deeply within themselves and face the real issues that makes them want to do what they do.

His kids are all adults, with kids of their own. We think he's just trying to get out of his marriage, and when his wife wanted him back after he moved out (after he was caught), he felt pressured by his adult kids that he had to do this. After all, why risk getting caught again unless you really do want to leave the marriage but don't want to confront your now roommate partner that this is the case?

Better yet: why stay in a marriage for no reason other than appearances?

What does your friend have to gain from staying in a pointless marriage? There is nothing more that I hate as much as people refusing to confront the obvious. Sympathies to his children and all that, but I am sure they know as well as you do what the situation is like.

Your friend is in a hard place, but if he and his spouse are unwilling to admit the obvious, then they will continue to bring difficulties upon themselves. And if he really does want to try and improve the relationship, which it sounds like he does not, then he needs to stop the cheating.

I still think cheating is wrong if you are doing it to help end a problematic marriage. Being an adult means being honest and confronting difficult situations with honesty. In the end he is only making things difficult for himself and prolonging the inevitable. This is regardless of how intimidating his wife and children are. It might smooth things over for the short term, but not the long term.

Personally I prefer the solo version, which is what I did some years ago. When things deteriorated and it was evident we were two different people who grew in opposite directions, we got a divorce, healed, and then I found my prince charming. But I didn't have an ex who guilted me back into being married because society and our families expected us to pretend we are happy when we were not.

But even if you did... wouldn't you ultimately take the more difficult route and end the marriage? Wouldn't you agree that it is ultimately a better route than the one your friend is taking?

I don't mean to be coming down hard on your friend, but I just don't think it does anyone any good to avoid hard moral decisions in favor of quicker temporary solutions.

This is such a loaded and complex issue, and ultimately there is no cookie cutter solution nor do I believe there should be one ultimate judgement conferred on those who do cheat, other then that they do not have the fortitude to look deeply within themselves and face the real issues that makes them want to do what they do

Very well put.

Better yet: why stay in a marriage for no reason other than appearances?
From endless discussions, it isn’t just for appearances. It’s much deeper than that, with a lot of cultural expectations involved. My view of it is that in his situation, he is expected to put his own sanity and happiness second to “keeping stability” in the family unit. And remember, there are two people (more, actually) living this lie.

Sympathies to his children and all that, but I am sure they know as well as you do what the situation is like.

If my boyfriend and I can figure this out and we only see him socially a few times a month, I totally agree that his adult kids have to know. I think one of them plays off of it though, so that he is made to feel that he ‘has to’ stay in it or he’ll disappoint them. It’s selfishness on the part of the adult kids to not have anything rock the boat, especially when they aren’t the ones rowing or riding in it.

Your friend is in a hard place, but if he and his spouse are unwilling to admit the obvious, then they will continue to bring difficulties upon themselves.

Personally I don’t understand how anyone could NOT know their spouse is cheating when they’ve had multiple partners over a long period of time, be confronted face to face with one of the cheaters, and have this resurrected again and want to deny that it’s happening again. It’s apparent to me that our friend’s spouse doesn’t want to take any responsibility because she doesn’t want her life to change.

And if he really does want to try and improve the relationship, which it sounds like he does not, then he needs to stop the cheating.

From what we know of both of them, it’s pretty much hopeless. She’s uninterested in anything of any intellectual or mental depth and I think that’s the problem. We think she’s turned into a Stepford wife and he became introspective and more emotionally aware, so you can see that’s not a good combination. I do think that at some point, all of this will blow up in both of their faces, big time.

I still think cheating is wrong if you are doing it to help end a problematic marriage. Being an adult means being honest and confronting difficult situations with honesty. In the end he is only making things difficult for himself and prolonging the inevitable.

I don’t think he, or many people who do this, do it because they are consciously trying to end a marriage. I think it’s more unconscious, and therein lies the problem. He seems to be on 'the verge' of 'getting it' but then there's one of his kids that will say things like, 'I'm so proud that you and mom have had a long, happy marriage...you're such an inspiration for me.' Talk about laying on a guilt trip. There is also a major problem in that the marriage was based on a lie. She told him she was pregnant and so he said they'd get married. Then it turns out she wasn't. Oops. And during that time, there were a lot of other "life issues" going on with him so he didn't or couldn't deal with it and basically seems to have gotten caught up into a mess. So yes, this is a classic case of not addressing a truth and the problem gets worse, and worse, and now the obvious.

It might smooth things over for the short term, but not the long term.

I agree. I think things like this are a bandaid for what needs to be done so that a person can be truthful to themselves and honor themselves for what love they deserve (and to give themselves the relationships that provide this love).

But I didn't have an ex who guilted me back into being married because society and our families expected us to pretend we are happy when we were not.

But even if you did... wouldn't you ultimately take the more difficult route and end the marriage? Wouldn't you agree that it is ultimately a better route than the one your friend is taking?

I can’t judge him on this, because all I know is that for myself, I couldn’t stand to be in a relationship that my ex and I were in. Obviously it was the same for him, because he agreed right away that we needed to end it. I found that the hardest thing about getting a divorce was getting the courage to know that I had to, and then to talk to my then spouse about it.

In my case, and I am sure you’ll agree, when things are this 'bad,' then getting a divorce as the first step in reclaiming one's life and being able to be open to love again. Personally, I didn’t think it would have been all that an attractive deal to say to a great guy that I would meet that, “hey, I’m really interested in a serious relationship with you but we have to work it around my husband.” THAT just wouldn’t work for me. Also, I have issues (for myself) about being in more than one relationship at a time, and being married would have definitely constituted a relationship, whether or not it was dead. Had I not taken that step for myself, I wouldn't have met my current honey!

Well said Sketch.

Peoples choices are THEIR choices. I know that when I grew up I was taught right from wrong and to take responsibilty for my decisions.

I get fed up hearing cheaters say "but I had no choice, you made me do it because of how you were treating me". So I say "a gun wasn't being held to your head when you were cheating so wth? So you weren't happy, get out of the relationship/marriage."

Marriage/relationships have their ups and downs just like most things in life. Its how each person deals with the downs that shows the type of person they are. To me, cheating shows a lack of morals and how selfish that person can be. They put aside everything, husband/wife, partner and in a lot of cases family just so they can get a fix to make THEM feel better. Yes, its all about themselves.

Lifesontheup:

Its how each person deals with the downs that shows the type of person they are.

Exactly!

Crazyaboutdogs:

Sometimes things happen that people go astray. I am not saying it is right...I am just saying that most people who cheat probably once upon a time thought that they would never be that kind of person.

I believe the same could be said about any type of immoral or unlawful behavior.

It is unlikely that there are too many children dreaming of the day they commit their first double homicide or thinking about how they want to be a junkie, living on the street.

Anyone can be a model citizen when their life is going well, but it is difficult to stay committed to your values/beliefs when life throws you a curve ball.

The best laid plans can fail and it is how a person acts once the breakdown occurs and things go astray that reflects who they are inside.

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." ~Buddha

But is cheating really "evil"? In some situations it could be, but I think it's a bit extreme to label all cases that way. That's a harsh word. And to put it alongside homicide is just plain silly.

What about the situation that strawberry cupcake's friend is in? I can't say I approve or support, but certainly it's understandable. The cheating doesn't seem to be hurting anyone- the marriage is already ended for practical purposes, and it doesn't effect the children.

What about in a society such as in Europe, where cheating is understood to be implicit in the marriage contract?

I definitely agree that divorce is better than cheating, but I think we need to be cautious before judging such people, or to suppose that we would act differently in such situations that we haven't been in.

Here's my view on marriage.

I'd like to meet someone who will be there for me through the tough times. I'm a reliable guy who never quits and I want the same from a partner. We have our issues but at the end of the day, we are there for each other.

As long as she is caring and makes sure I have no reason to doubt her, then what she does when I'm not around is none of my business. Throughout our lives, we feel sexual desire for many people. Anyone who claims that's not clue isn't totally honest.

A lot of people use repression and regulation to solve issues. Personally, I don't believe repression works and the statistics on divorce fully support my view.

If my loving wife cheats on me, I don't want her to feel guilty to the point that she has a nervous breakdown and confesses everything to me. That is destructive.

If she has sex with another moment, I'd like her to view it as an exciting moment that has nothing to do with the long term love that we share. I would hope that she is smart enough to have protected sex and has enough empathy and class to never tell me. When the excitement wears off, she ends it and there was no harm done, no drama.

Sharing projects with your life partner is something wonderful. Buying a house, having kids, supporting each other through tough times, helping each other out when getting old. That's what marriage is all about.

But what about sex? Sex is the most pleasurable activity a human can do. Unfortunately, exciting sex with the same person for 50 years is pure science fiction.

Most experts will agree that emotional affairs are more damaging than physical affairs. Why do emotional affairs happen so often? Because physical affairs are wrong, they're evil. That is the twisted result of repression.

But what about sex? Sex is the most pleasurable activity a human can do. Unfortunately, exciting sex with the same person for 50 years is pure science fiction.

i think there is a difference between having an 'arrangment' with your partner, and agreeing to spice things up by engaging in 3somes, swingers' lifestyle, be allowed to see others, etc.... vs. deliberately lying to your partner in life.

i can understand what you are saying rs. you want an open relationship which is fine, to each his own.

but it is still science fiction if you believe that by doing that, she won't suddenly start wanting to be with the other person and leave you. or you leave her if you find your own angel somewhere else. all you are doing is making this possibility happen so much easier.

after 22 years (only 40 yrs old here) the sex we enjoy is awesome, and has gotten better thru the years. i have no interest in having sex with anyone else.

do we wonder? of course. everyone does. will our sex be great after 50 years? by that time we won't care and if we do they got pills for that now!

that woman you are looking for is out there however, and i hope you do find her. we all have different needs and expectations, as long as those are met everyone will be happy.

but this also reminds me of the movie where the millionaire offers $1 million to a guys wife to have sex with her. the couple convinces themselves they can deal with that, as per their arrangement. what happens next is disaster for all involved.

it's just a movie, yes. but be careful what you wish for.

--Rum

It might be because of where I come from but what I refer to is not an open marriage nor is it an arrangement.

It's just something we don't talk about. We all know it happens but we'd rather not think about it.

Some people think that the best way to avoid falling for someone else is total repression. I respect that view and it is a concept that works for some of us.

Other people think that total repression encourages fatal cheating and I'm one of them.

It doesn't mean that people should sleep around on every occasion. It doesn't mean that people have lower morals. In fact, when people feel less restrained, they have fewer urges to cheat in a way that's damaging for the couple.

The couples who are truly successful are those who don't know whether their partner ever cheated on them - and frankly they don't really care as long as they're happy.

It may be where you come from. As I said previously it would seem that the french do take a different view to extramarital affairs than most other countries. Now, lets go through a scenario that arises often in extramarital affairs................

Lets say you got married and a few years down the road your wife got bored and she had an affair. You have a feeling she is seeing someone else, but can't be 100% sure as she's been discreet enough. Then she tells you she's pregnant. Tell me, what will you think then? Would you want to know for definite if she had an affair or would you still not want to know and bring up a child that may not be yours.

You see the picture you paint may seem ideal. If either of you get bored, you have a discreet affair. However in real life things are never ideal as you well know. When you bring a 3rd party into the relationship for whatever reason, however small a time, the risk will not only be the cost to emotions and the relationship but also the conceiving of a child. I also ask do you think it is fair then that a child is brought into the world under these circumstances?

ah, but here is the problem: 'When the excitement wears off, she ends it and there was no harm done, no drama.'

what if during her 'experiments' with other men she decides she likes someone better? or she gets pregnant with another man's child? and RARELY do affairs end up with no harm done and no drama. there is ALWAYS drama and emotion and broken hearts and hurt children.

you are trying to support the idea that affairs are inevitable and 'natural', and harmless, when it has been proven over and over that affairs are both emotionally and financially devastating to the participants, marriages and children, and the consequences from the fallout are quite serious and of longlasting impact.

your argument is based on perceiving sex as a 'hobby' like someone likes to go off and have poker with a buddy. on the contrary, sex brings out all kinds of emotions, from jealousy to bonding hormones, to obsession, to a deep abiding sense of love and connection etc. when you are playing poker, you are playing a simple GAME, not forming a potential love and sex bond with another person who is not your wife.

and seeing and obsessing about another woman certainly takes time, attention, money etc. away from the family, so it is not harmless. affairs litter the landscape with innocent victims, and guilty ones too.

marriages don't break up because someone has a sex hobby, they break up because people go out and sample other people until they meet someone they like better, or the spouse finds out and is disgusted that someone they loved and trusted and expected to behave in a certain way has chosen break vows and spend a lot of time and resources on someone other than their own partner and family.

marriage is a partnership. even business partnerships have certain fundamental rules, like someone in the business can't just randomly take business assets and take a trip to Hawaii or buy themselves a brand new car or sock money away in their own name in a swiss bank from business assets. when you have an affair, you are taking emotional, physical, and financial resources that belong to the partnership and spending them to satisfy your own sexual itch. the consequences for squandering business assets is legal, just like squandering marriage assets is legal, a divorce.

all of your arguments steer towards the idea that marriage is not really a partnership, or only a partnership for everything BUT sex. so you want to pick and choose which parts SHOULD be a partnership, and how convenient that you are choosing to exclude sex, the one thing that marriage VOWS to do, be faithful.

the idea that it is 'just a little fun on the side' is probably one of the most blind fallacies there is, because what starts as a little fun ALWAYS disintegrates into a family's worse nightmare. yes, it is proven that lots of people have trouble staying faithful, but it is equally well proven that adultery is not a victimless or harmless activity.

if you choose to have sex with married people that is your choice, but it really just sounds like you haven't done it long enough to realize the well proven DOWNSIDE of affairs, what will happen down the road, to you, or her, or her family.

if you don't want a true partnership in all ways, and to take the vow to devote yourself to your spouse alone, then don't get married!

i have known people who 'agree' to let the other spouse go outside the marriage for affairs, and usually the marriage just slowly dries up from lack of commitment and jealousy. what eventually happens is the one partner having the affairs may be having fun, while the other partner sits up one day and says, this is no fun at all for me, and they leave. then the partner having the affairs is shocked when they are dumped, and regrets losing the marriage for the sake of 'fun'... trust me, divorce is NO fun at all, and usually the consequence of most affairs.

so unless both partners agree to a swingers lifestyle that they do together (i.e, go together to swinger parties as PARTNERS and don't form 'dating' relationships outside the marriage), it usually ends badly with one person falling in love with someone else and leaving, or the other partner getting sick of feeling constantly insecure and wondering when/if the partner will fall in love with one of his flings. divorce is not far behind then.

Pianoguy:

But is cheating really "evil"? In some situations it could be, but I think it's a bit extreme to label all cases that way. That's a harsh word.

The quote by Buddha is about personal accountability. The word "evil" at the end of the quote is interchangeable. It could read...,

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to errant ways." ~Buddha

...the ultimate message remains the same.

Honestly, I would imagine that the word "evil" was originally used in the quote because Buddha's teachings contain a mixture of both philosophical and religious ideas. In the context of religion it is not uncommon to view any behavior that adheres to a strict moral code as good/right and any behavior that is immoral as evil/wrong.

That being said, the word evil in no way detracts from the real message, which is about looking within yourself to find the true reason you are led astray.

Pianoguy:

And to put it alongside homicide is just plain silly.

Putting cheating along homicide is "just plain silly" if you grab it out of context and compare the two directly, but I was responding to a previous post which essentially read, "Sometimes things happen that people go astray...once upon a time they thought that they would never be that kind of person."

The point of my response is that the previous statement can be applied to behavior as minor as white lies, up to cheating, all the way to murder. I used an extreme example that was not similar to cheating to illustrate that point.

We all deal with adversity and temptation in our life. Whether we are derailed by behavior that is minor or major, it is unlikely the behavior was part of our life plan prior to it occurring.

What is troubling to me, though, is reading about someone who can see the path they are headed down, acknowledge it as wrong, acknowledge that it will likely hurt other people, and still decide to engage in the behavior.

Why?

The quote by Buddha is about personal accountability. The word "evil" at the end of the quote is interchangeable. It could read...,

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to errant ways." ~Buddha

...the ultimate message remains the same.

Okay, that makes more sense. You must admit that the connations of "evil" in English are much more severe than "errant" however- I understand that theologically the terms in many religious traditions mean essentially the same thing, but evil tends to imply being malicious or heinous, whereas the subtext of "errant" implies things like being duped or making a bad judgment. I don't want to turn this into a philosophical debate, so let's just all watch our terminology.

Putting cheating along homicide is "just plain silly" if you grab it out of context and compare the two directly, but I was responding to a previous post which essentially read, "Sometimes things happen that people go astray...once upon a time they thought that they would never be that kind of person."
I misunderstood then. Morally, however, I think we can all agree that homicide isn't not even comparable to cheating, which is the point I was making. I understand that the rationalization process may be a similar road, although I'm not sure I even fully believe that. When something is obviously intrisically morally repugnant (such as murder) then the rationalizination becomes much more severe then when the moral wrong is simply a cultural construct. This leads me to:

What is troubling to me, though, is reading about someone who can see the path they are headed down, acknowledge it as wrong, acknowledge that it will likely hurt other people, and still decide to engage in the behavior.

But Rs. Daillaire doesn't acknowledge this as wrong behavior, and I think this is a cultural difference between our two countries. In France, cheating seems to be part of the social fabric, and insofar as all parties involved seem to expect the cheating, it doesn't seem to hurt anybody.

I wonder if this entire debate is just a cultural divide. It's not a rationalization if you don't believe it is wrong in the first place.

I'm not saying that I agree with this, but I think all the Americans here need to pause for a moment and consider that it might just be the rules of our particular society that we are getting all huffy about. It's not our place to mandate that the cultural norms of our country be applied everywhere (although I must admit that it seems a very American thing to do).

The couples who are truly successful are those who don't know whether their partner ever cheated on them - and frankly they don't really care as long as they're happy.

i know some very happy couples, been married for 50 years, and they seem truly happy and i doubt that they have had affairs. my aunt and uncle are still crazy about each other, even after 50 years of marriage. he always calls her the 'most beautiful girl out there.' i know other couples like this too. i think they were part lucky to have found each other - and part that they were really committed to the marriage. my god parents have been married for about 45 years, and they seem truly happy, are best friends and lovers, they are still crazy about each other. he tells me his regret is that he didn't marry her even earlier (they dated for 2 years before marrying).

Pianoguy:

But Rs. Daillaire doesn't acknowledge this as wrong behavior, and I think this is a cultural difference between our two countries. In France, cheating seems to be part of the social fabric, and insofar as all parties involved seem to expect the cheating, it doesn't seem to hurt anybody.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but I think he has clearly acknowledged cheating as wrong, however, he has not conceded that the behavior he has engaged in is actually cheating...so there is technically still a backdoor to his two conflicting viewpoints.

rs.Dallarie:

I'm not here to support infidelity or claim that it's not destructive.

I saw my new friend again and we had a great time. After a meal at the restaurant where we had to behave ourselves, we went back to my place and spent the rest of the evening together. I'm happy to share the details if you're interested.

Not all relationships are meant to last forever. For now, I am having a real blast with an exceptionally beautiful woman. My friend looks so kind and gentle. For her to do all of these nasty things is a real turn on.

Yes, I will see her again. No, I don't want her to leave her husband. If I meet any other interesting women, I'll make room and money for them.

If a woman wants to go out with me, I don't care about her marital status. I'm a refined gentleman who enjoys good food, long conversations and passionate sex. I guess when I die I'll be going to hell!

Well, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself, but like anything that just "feels good" it doesn't mean it's good for you...

Diabetics feel good when they eat sugar, but later on it has an adverse affect on them... so be careful,

you stated; "I am a refined gentleman who enjoys good food, long conversation and passion sex"...(with another man's wife)" the parenthetical should be added to clearly define yourself in an honest way, don't you think?

Of course you don't want her to leave her husband, that would put too much mature honest and responsible accountablity into the mix.. right?

It would make it "too real"... and who wants "real" when you can just have "play".. at the expense of your own integrity and by violating another man's woman? Well it has a huge "ugly factor" but you're human and I understand you being tempted, but to actually "act on" the impulse..well that's a tough one.. where does it lead?

Yes, it's HER choice to participate but ask yourself why it's okay for you to be a willing partner in a dishonest indulgent sexual affair that may only lead to pain for others, mabye not, but ultimately you might not be liking yourself so much...and that's a huge price to pay for "sex"..

There is an honest, loving, loyal, and respsonbile respectful relationship out there for you.. but first you would have to be willing to be loving, loyal, honest, respectful and responsible in your own life first.

I'm sorry you allowed yourself to get into this situation, they usually don't lead to a fulfilling or proud outcome... in all relationships someone has the potential of being heartbroken, but it's different in this situation, when it's done in a way that is not filled with integrity... because then it has huge potential to leave everyone feeling heartbroken and frankly just feeling "less"...

I am definitely looking for the one woman who will make me happy and with whom I will want a long term relationship and perhaps even have kids.

Right now there isn't such a woman in my life. I am actively looking but with marriage having over 50% chances of ending up in divorce, you will understand that I am very picky about who I want to have a relationship with.

In the interim, there's this outrageously gorgeous woman who enjoys my company. I hang out with her like I hang out with my other friends, except we like to play with each other's body. That's it.

As for "violating" someone else's wife, let's not even go there. When we're together, my * * * * gets hard and her * * * * * gets wet, end of story.

As far as I can remember this thread was never about the appropriateness of extramarital affairs.

And I didn't post my cynical comment in the beginning because I hate being called cynical. LOL

Go ahead and tell us more. It's interesting.

I usually like short women but this one is tall and elegant. Everything looks right and she seemed TOTALLY innocent... until she asked me out for dinner. That's when my perception of her started to change as she wasn't as innocent as she seemed.

She has the kind of presense that would be perfect for a Unicef ad. She's as classy as Audrey Hepburn... until we get in the bedroom. Her body is so sensitive that it makes me feel like a god. She has licked EVERY body part of mine with the precision of a surgeon.

Now life would be perfect if I could land a single girlfriend on top of my married friend... I'm working on it!

A man once told me I wouldn't believe how many bored housewives there are that just want a little fun on the side. He was very handsome, absolutely perfect in the looks department. He did married women all the time, and this was in the most conservative area of our country.

Women cheat because they can, it's as simple as that.

I don't know about other work environments, but in most offices there's quite a bit of sexual tension going around.

I'm not the most handsome guy around but women LOVE talking to me. It takes me about five seconds to communicate my sexual energy to them. One glance and they know they've just met the devil in person.

Archived