Accents...

greenmonster

Being an ausse bloke I am fully turned on by a chick with an american accent. i dunno what it is but yeh I just love it. My understanding is a lot of gals over there love our accents too. My brother visited america a few yrs back and said it was a huge winner for him. Being a west aussie there is a slightly different accent to the easterners but it is barley noticeable. Some accents I really dont like and are a turn off for me such as a New zealanders I dunno why i just dont like it and it really makes the chick a lot more unattractive to me when i hear it. I spose its kinda like a physical attraction thing and what works for you. Some people I know hate american accents.

LOL I have heard that Australian accents are pretty much indiscernible from each other... even to insiders half the time. One things I do have to say though, from your avatar, you look extremely Australian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People tend to gravitate toward opposites, and southern gents almost always have an appeal to city girls.

My son is a country young gentlemen. I lived in a rural area, yet never was a country person personally, but he really adapted to the ways and when we moved to the city, he wore his cowboy hat and cowboy boots right into that highschool on the first day. This was a very high end community. I"m thinking MAN my kid has guts (not many kids have that kind of nerve to be so different in high school)! And yes, he has a bit of a southern twang when he talks, and very well mannered and polite.

And so many of those girls thought he was just the cutest guy ever. LOL He said to me one day "mom, i get way more girls talking to me here then when we lived in the country". That is because he stood out from the rest, had his own schtick. It didn't hurt that he has an awesome sense of humor either.

I told my husband that day about him going to school like that (we were only dating at the time) and he said "that will probably be what gets him laid one day" and i was like STOP THAT this is my son you are talking about!

Starlily - good point! I dunno...I guess I don't hear other accents as much as I hear other English accents, or American accents. I just sat and thought about it for awhile, and I genuinely don't know if I have any preference or aversion to accents such as yours!

I'd much prefer it if I had a proper accent...a recognised one you know? No one recognises Kent as having an accent, and the majority of the time people would not recognise that I myself have a slight accent. As Dylan Moran says about estuary accents - they have no bones. They're not attractive in the slightest

"Ah downt fink ah'll ave vat wun, ah'll ave ve ovver wun cuz issabit mahhhllllder...."

See?!?

• 5 months later...

Im from Texas too, but Im not in ya'll or fixin territory. When I go to houston or dallas, all I hear is ya'll and such. It's funny to me. not the accent, but just the words I dont really hear. I heard this kid call his mother "Ma" lol. Reminded me of Little House on the Prairie. It was great!

Im from Texas too, but Im not in ya'll or fixin territory. When I go to houston or dallas, all I hear is ya'll and such. It's funny to me. not the accent, but just the words I dont really hear. I heard this kid call his mother "Ma" lol. Reminded me of Little House on the Prairie. It was great!

I'm from Houston actually. I'm Latina too. But I live in Alabama now. So all I hear are things like "ya'll, ain't," . Here it's not even "Ma", its "Maw"!

And going to your mother's house is "Mom-n-em's" and come here is "mon". *sigh* its really bad.

HAHAHA. I hear you! I used to talk to this twangish guy, and he would say the funniest things. I remember this one time he was talking about how his "Pa had taken a switch to heim." lol! And reading what you wrote reminded me of the old school movie...."son in law" with pauly shore. Remember that part when the big guy was talking about the black button, and he kept calling it the blackun. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an accent of sorts... I live in Liverpool and have picked up a noticeable enough scouse accent that people from my hometown think I'm a scouser. But I retain a lot of my hometown accent, enough that people from Liverpool think I'm a Geordie... which is what my hometown's accent sounds like to people who aren't from the far north of England. People from elsewhere in the North can pick up there's a scouse/'geordie' mix... people from down south or the midlands just hear a northern accent.

To give an example, I still say 'aye' for 'yes'; 'haweh' for 'come on', 'wairt' for 'wait; and 'naw' for 'no'... but I say my 'r's with a little flapped sound like 'Patis' for 'Paris' and my 'th's as 'd's. I say 'bairker' for 'burger' and my 'k's in that scouse way like 'drinchkh' for 'drink'.

People on the internet keep saying 'oh you're English you should come to the States the women would just love your accent'... but my accent, or the accent from anyone in the north wouldn't sound like what most foreigners expect an English accent to sound like. As a matter of fact it's not unusual for northerners to be mistaken for someone who has English as a second language... I even heard of someone complemented in America on how quickly they'd picked up the language, and of someone in London who was taken for Scandinavian!

hah I love geordie accents! My cousins have slight geordie accents and its actually quite nice. I find it hilarious that a geordie could be mistaken for a scandinavian lol-they are just so different.

I have apparently the strangest accent. I am friends with some americans who I grew up with so I aquired a slight american accent yet at the same time I go to a posh private school and my whole family are what some might call "well spoken" so my accent tends to vary from posh english with a slight american lilt. A lot of guys have said they like my accent, when I did an exchange in france the french thought my accent was the epitome of english accents. But others say different things. Actually one guys said he loved my voice just before he kissed me so I'm guessing accents do help you get lucky lol.

I dislike the Australian accent with passion when it is too strong.

The only time I like it is when its on a semi classy bogan girl for some reason its the hottest thing ever.

The Wisconsin accent is cute but I wouldn't say sexy. French Canadians have a good accent. I suppose theres the Irish but they're getting old, too many irish commedians.

Accents don't really do it for me.

lol, I think lots of people hate their own accent. I see what you're saying about these bogans. Over here there is an increasing tendency for young people to have a rising inflection at the end of a sentence (as though every sentence is a question). This is usually blamed on Australia, the popularity of Australian TV and people doing it because they want to be cool (British bogans maybe).

While we're on the subject of the Australian accent, this is the funniest thing. I was in a hostel in Riga, Latvia and we we in the bar drinking with all the assorted travellers. One of them was from Cornwall, but he spoke with an Australian accent. It turned out he'd never been to Oz, he'd just been travelling round Europe for the last few years and picked it up. Every other traveller he met was Australian so it was like this accent he picked up of them was a generic travellers' accent.

There is also the mystique of the "real" West and that accent goes with it, I'm in Colorado, so we don't have accents (although I came origianlly from ND, you bettcha). But we use a lot of the euphanisms and western slang, like a corporate attorney using "ain't", we do that in the colorful speech, double negatives and all that. We know it's incorrect and it is spoken in a way to give emphasis to our speech. We "git" going and some "fixin'" and always, "suit yourself", lots more....

There is also the mystique of the "real" West and that accent goes with it, I'm in Colorado, so we don't have accents (although I came origianlly from ND, you bettcha). But we use a lot of the euphanisms and western slang, like a corporate attorney using "ain't", we do that in the colorful speech, double negatives and all that. We know it's incorrect and it is spoken in a way to give emphasis to our speech. We "git" going and some "fixin'" and always, "suit yourself", lots more....

everyone has an accent!!

what makes you think you do not have an accent?

you'd have one to me... and a few milion other people from different parts of the world!

I'm welsh so i have a welsh accent, mine isn't a really strong welsh accent, a little deeper into the valleys then they have really strong accents. I quite like my accent but i don't really notice it until i start thinking about it, and if i get drunk it comes on really strong (especially if i'm with english people). Some people say the welsh accent sounds a bit twp and in a way i suppose it does, but that's just because of our emphasis and we tend to speak quite fast. The English make 'Pot Noodle' adverts which blatantly make fun of the welsh accent and our coal mining history which i think are just getting out of hand. Anyway, the accent i most dislike is from liverpool, and really strong hoo-haa American accents can be testy.

We say things like "I'll be there now in a minute" which doesn't really make much sense and people with welsh as their first language tend to speak like yoda, because welsh tends to put descriptive words the other way around, so instead of saying "a blue car" somebody might say "a car, blue it was" or something like that, "innit like". I think there is a book called Wenglish with some oddities in it. I don't speak welsh but i used to say things like ach-a-fi (disgusting) without realising they weren't english words lol.

Archived