Is it really that serious?

Dtooth22

For the last few months, my boyfriend flakes out on plans a lot. We have been dating for over a year and in the beginning he would always treat me as a priority. He’d never cancel plans or make sure I went to bed upset. Recently though, he cancels plans because he either “doesn’t remember we made them” or because he schedules things on top of it. I told him a few weeks ago that if this continued I’d have to leave because it really hurts my feelings and he had been good about it until today. We just totally ignored me all day and then cancelled. I told him how hurtful it was and he said “should have just made other plans.”

Is this probable cause to be upset? Or to break up with him? When we are together I feel very happy, but when he cancels constantly I just feel like the bottom of the totem pole. What should I do?

Of course you have a reason to be upset. You are entitled to feel anything that you want. He obviously knows how this makes you feel as you've already spoken to him about it. Even if you hadn't he knows what hes doing is wrong, he just doesn't care. Why should he as you continue to stay w/ him & let him treat you like dirt. There are no consiquences therefore he will continue to do what works for him. He's selfish & its quite obvious he has no respect for you. Have you been having problems in other areas of your relationship? This is not how you treat someone that is important to you. Its possible theres someone else but even if there isn't you are not a priority. I would kick him to the curb as we are always teaching people how to treat us. The message you're sending right now is I'm a doormat.

Yes, it's a valid reason to be upset. He doesn't see to be that into you anymore and is certainly not treating your time with respect. Now what's important is deciding what you're going to do with that "upset". You can complain to him and say you're hurt all you want, but if he doesn't care and there's no consequences to his disrespect, then it's a futile effort.

You already spoke to him and got a flip/indifferent answer so all you can do at this point is take action. Pull back. Do not text as much. Let him make the plans and make sure they are solid not tentative plans.

Are you exclusive? Is he dating others? Has there been other relationship conflicts? It sounds like he's trying to break up or may be seeing someone else. Don't just talk. Simply stop tolerating his lack of respect for your time, feelings and the relationship

Recently though, he cancels plans because he either “doesn’t remember we made them” or because he schedules things on top of it.

We just totally ignored me all day and then cancelled. I told him how hurtful it was and he said “should have just made other plans.”

when he cancels constantly I just feel like the bottom of the totem pole.

Archived