I know I’m being crazy. Talk me through.

My boyfriend of 11 years and I just split up. This is actually the second split. We spent 2 years apart in 2014, decided to try again, and it just didn’t work.

We have 2 kids together, 4 and 8. We aren’t leaving the relationship with any bad blood. We get along well as parents and even as friends, but we just realized that we become different people when in a relationship, and not for the better. Neither of us was happy, and we mutually decided to end it. We don’t want our children getting older thinking that staying together for the kids is healthy, and certainly don’t want them ever feeling that they should do that in their adult lives.

We still help each other, are very lenient and flexible when it comes to the kids, parenting schedules, we are planning to attend school functions and even some holidays as a family.

However, I’m finding myself torn. I worry about ridiculous things. Will the kids favor him because he has more money? Will the kids want to be with him more because he has a bigger house and they don’t have to share a room there? Ridiculous. I know. But it doesn’t stop my emotions from getting the best of me at times.

I’m also torn on the fact of, why can we get along so well when we’re not together, I mean to the point where we can hang out, joke and laugh together, text about our day even, but in a relationship all that just falls apart. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s what is, and we’ve proved it over and over again.

Someone just talk some sense back into me please.

That's a long time. 😟 What was the first split for 2 years about? Is this split about those same issues? Excellent you can continue co-parenting without animosity.

Don't worry, your kids will love you as much as their dad. Make sure you don' start a "who's the best parent" competition that many ex partners engage in, only confusing kids and them unwittingly becoming pawns in this competition.

My boyfriend of 11 years and I just split up. This is actually the second split. We spent 2 years apart in 2014, decided to try again, and it just didn’t work. Neither of us was happy, and we mutually decided to end it.

We split 2 years ago after he cheated, and left me for the woman he cheated with.

They proceeded to have a lengthy relationship and even an engagement during the time we were apart.

A large portion of current issues are due to still being a little uncomfortable with past events, and also personal emotions. He said he’s just not happy and doesn’t know if he ever will be.

You two made the right decision for all.

I'm amazed that you went back after the way he treated you.

Your kids love you, and they will feel the same about you both- focus on the present, not things that will not happen. Stop worrying and focus on the transition. Your kids need your support through this massive change.

Have you sought an attorney?

I don’t feel the need for an attorney. We share custody exactly 50/50. He helps financially whenever I need him too and pays for anything the kids need. We do have a custody order in place.

He’s honestly a great dad and great partner, in all ways aside from a relationship. This isn’t a bitter break up.

This is me being self conscious and feeling that I can never do enough for my children.

He has really changed, and in the last 2 years we’ve been together, he has proved that.

However, the change came too late, and I’m too scarred by the past.

But I feel no need to consult legal help.

He really is a great guy, I just wish he changed before we went through so much.

We were too young.

There should also be court ordered child support so You can get them things they want and need and be "the good guy". This ad hoc thing is on his terms and that's where your insecurity lies. It's also nonsense for the kids. You don't need lawyers for that either.

He helps financially whenever I need him too and pays for anything the kids need. We do have a custody order in place.

Well, the reason he can act civil with you is that the pressure is off of him. He can sleep with whomever he wants to and he doesn't have to sneak around or worry about you finding out. As for who the kids will like better, you can have two kids see and experience the same things, and one will take one parent's side, and the other will take the other parent's side. All you can do is do the best you can and hope your kids will see the truth.

We have exactly 50/50 custody. We each see the kids 3 1/2 days a week. Why would I make him pay me support when he already provides what they need while with him, and I provide what that need while with me?

I said he makes more, I did not say I don’t make enough. He may be able to buy them a boat, and a 4 wheeler, however I make enough myself to live comfortably. Him helping finincially is him paying for half he school pictures, half the school clothes, half the medical bills.

This post was not about support or asking for legal advice.

I literally just felt insecure in the fact I can’t provide a vacation to Disney for them, but dad probably can. I know I’m being silly, just came here for a little emotional support.

If he makes more than you, then he should help supplement your income so its fair.

If you were together both incomes would go into a pot & be used accordingly, now that you arent together this isnt happening and you are seeing the result.

You should be able to buy your children treats & extras when you want to, not when your income "allows" it.

Also, what happens if he meets someone & she decides that how he is spending his money isnt to her liking? You have nothing in writing to make him pay what he is currently paying.

I am divorced, had young children & have been through all of this, so please know I talk from experience

I personally dont think you should involve courts in you and your childrens lives unless you need to, and I went to court for child support. I woudnt have done it if I didnt have to.

If you two can parent equally and be there for your children equally, I personally would not rock that boat.

Doesnt matter if its yesterday, tomorrow or 2 years from now you have the option to go to court if need be, dont do it if you dont feel a need.

Thats my view at least. Talk to him and discuss potential child support if need be. If he disagrees well you have a choice to make but if you two get along why not discuss it?

Im more concerned about your mindset and since that actually what you asked advice for I'll go ahead and respond and say you are seeing the grass as greener and forgetting the bad. You two not getting along when together clearly isnt this unexplained phenomenon, the dude couldnt keep it in his pants.

Some people are oil and water together but theyre adults and they put their children first. You reached that,congrats, enjoy it.

Do not reconcile.

He's not "paying you", it's for the kids. And it's your duty and responsibility to advocate for them in court and get a court determined amount for them. You seem to think it's alimony, but since you were never married it's not about that. It's for your kids.

Why would I make him pay me support.

Archived