From Obese to fit... first step on my journey!

Hi guys.

I've posted over several parts of this forum over the past few months (generally relationship stuff).

So, I've always been big.... since childhood. I like my food, I was brought up by grandparents who due to age weren't the most active. By the time I was 16 I was about 18 stone.... then at boarding school and obsessed with girls I dropped to just under 15 stone, and looking back.....I was in pretty good shape (age 19).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11510[/ATTACH]

In mid 20's I was diagnosed with a benign tumour on my pituitary gland which messed up my hormones, I had no energy and was producing no testosterone. My weight ballooned to 26 stone..... now I'm on medication and conscious of my weight I've dropped over the past 5 years down to my current weight just under 22 stone.

Last August my Grandad, who I'd cared for the past two years, past away. I rather naively, after not dating for 10 years jumped head first in...met someone and dated for 2.5 months. This did wonders for my self esteem which I had lacked generally because I've loathed being the size I am. She finished things days after Christmas, and it knocked my confidence the works.

My weight has been steady over the past few months, but now I've decided I really want to shift it. I'm upping my work outs at the gym, increasing my fell walking (I love hiking where I live in northern england).

I figured this thread could document my progress as I go along, for anyone that's interested.

I'm 32, and want to appreciate feeling good in myself while I'm still young....and hopefully feel much more comfortable being able to date.

It probably sounds silly, but my biggest inspiration at the moment, is my avatar... Marvel's Captain America, Steve Rogers.... inspiring character, although his muscles came out of a laboratory test tube! :p

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you all the best!! You can do this!! You sound like you know what you're wanting and you have a good plan. Make sure you do this for YOU, not to get a date or to impress anyone. Do this for your OWN health and self esteem.

Captain America is cool, can't wait to see when you are just as buff...you'll get there!! :)

Thanks all!

It's interesting, because previously it's all be about getting a girl.... this is different. I don't think my ex had an issue with my weight, other than for health reasons. When she finished with me I felt so low in confidence that it made me realise that I need to love myself before I can move on and consider being with anyone else.

Here's how I'm looking now. Better than I was, but a fare way to go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11511[/ATTACH]

Keep pushing bruv and you'll get there.

Also focus on the intake of food, and cut down on the pints too. There are stupidly too many calories in 1 pint of beer, and stopping off down the corner for a quick couple before tea each night won't help.

I'm on the same mission, have upped my training - 6 day hike around the Peak District starting the weekend after next.

Plus I've started calorie counting. And have begun reducing. Like yourself, I grew up liking me food, so breaking that habit has been hard.

Keep pushing bruv and you'll get there.

Also focus on the intake of food, and cut down on the pints too. There are stupidly too many calories in 1 pint of beer, and stopping off down the corner for a quick couple before tea each night won't help.

I'm on the same mission, have upped my training - 6 day hike around the Peak District starting the weekend after next.

Plus I've started calorie counting. And have begun reducing. Like yourself, I grew up liking me food, so breaking that habit has been hard.

Cheers Keyman!

I'm incredibly lucky to live in the Yorkshire Dales, so have it all there for me to explore! I don't drink either, especially now of my diabetic medication....so thank fully that isn't an issue! ;)

Awww, you're a cutie pie! Good for you for embarking on this journey. You're gonna be one hot guy. :D

Awww thanks! :D That's helped my self esteem a little!

Done an hour at the gym tonight, 20 minutes treadmill power walking 'rolling hills' setting to give me some incline, helps towards my fell walking. 10 minutes bike (which find the toughest) 3 minutes cross trainer and then some weights.

I'll be back there on Saturday night (it's a very small gym and on Saturday nights I have the place to myself!)

You carry your weight well.

Losing weight for health reasons is great, but it by itself is not a remedy for attracting people.

If I may, can we see a picture of you smiling?

I suppose that could be due to my height, I'm 6ft.

I agree it isn't a remedy, but my self esteem has been so low because of my size, I'm better than I was but there was a time that I wouldn't like to go in shops, and I've only just begun wearing T-Shirts again.

I want to be able to walk further when hiking, feel comfortable in normal clothes....and essentially love myself a bit.

I'll smile on the next photo in a month (again a bit of a confidence thing....feel a bit silly.)

Archived