He is leaving for 3 months

So,I'm 17 and this year a boy came to my school(let's call him Jake) ,he and his family moved to my country. We've become really close from September but the last 2 months we realised we're more than friends.He is a very shy person so nothing really happened except typical flirting,talking everyday,cuddling and even a kiss in the cheek. I know it probably is nothing but for us it was a big step because we finally expressed our feelings without labeling saying "we're together".The problem is that in 2 weeks,he's leaving for Summer going to his country for 3 months,and he's coming back September. I know it may be nothing,but i'm scared because we're not really together and I'm afraid we'll loose contact and he'll even find someone else.There is a possibility that me and my family would visit his country in August and I really hope we will but it's still scary..I don't know what to do and I try seeing him as much as possibly before he goes but then I think what's the point?He'll forgive me in the Summer..

Relax. Go spend time with friends. Write to him.

I had to be away from a former fiancé who enlisted in the Marines (I was 17/18 at the time) and was at basic training for 3 months... then was deployed to fight in Afghanistan after a three week break in between. Your situation is nothing like that and you’ll be fine. Don’t overreact.

Stay in touch as friends and if it develops into more when he comes back then pursue it then. Nobody wants to be tied down for 3 mos. and you shouldn't be either. If there is anything there more than "expressed our feelings" it will be there when he gets back. Relax and enjoy your summer vacation.

Stay in touch as friends and if it develops into more when he comes back then pursue it then. Nobody wants to be tied down for 3 mos. and you shouldn't be either. If there is anything there more than "expressed our feelings" it will be there when he gets back. Relax and enjoy your summer vacation.

This is what I was going to say. Go enjoy your summer with friends. At 17 you will have plenty of time to meet other boys, the odds this fellow is The One are slim to nil.

Your lack of confidence saying he'll forget you is what will ruin the relationship. Have you heard that confidence is the biggest attractor of all? And seeing him as much as possible, if you're ignoring your friends/hobbies/interests, is also smothering behavior and will drive him away.

You should hope for the best but have a wait and see attitude. If he puts in an effort, great. If he doesn't, fate or your guardian angels have someone else in store for you. Have fun and you will have interesting stories to tell him while he's away or when he gets back. He will see you as a fun, independent girl instead of a clingy worry wart.

• 2 months later...

Archived