My girlfriend is always depressed and can't let go of her family and move on with her life.

Atarilover2600

I need some help. Please, any help.

I've been in a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for about 6 or 7 months. Overall it's been great, I couldn't ask for anyone better. And when she moves and lives with me, I'll be more than happy to spend my life with her. Just one more year of long distance.

But I have a problem. She has a terrible family who treats her like crap. And every few days she's skyping me telling me about it.

Usually we'd talk it over and move on. But lately it seems to be getting worse. Her family's being worse to her and she's always being depressed and mad when we talk.

Worse thing is now, she is saying that it's now a 50/50 whether she even moves with me anymore. I ask for a reason, and she says that she is worried about her grandma. Like ? I understand family, but her grandma has nothing wrong with her and she's completely healthy. Plus, her grandma has other people looking out for her too. There's no reason for her to stay where she is.

Each day is getting constantly worse with her complaints, her family is treating her like crap. I try to help her and talk to her, but she never listens to me and is still always upset. And now it seems like she's choosing her grandma over me.

She needs to move on with her life. But it seems like her family is holding her back. I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Especially now hearing that she might not even come back with me anymore. I don't want to be in a long distance relationship forever. I can't do it. She's always complaining about something.

When I ask her about moving back and staying with me, she says that she's afraid of what her family will do and might not want to.

So great, I guess we're destined to be in this rut forever...

I'M SO FRUSTRATED!

She needs to move on with her life. But it seems like her family is holding her back.

They aren't holding her back. She is choosing to be held back.

Especially now hearing that she might not even come back with me anymore. I don't want to be in a long distance relationship forever. I can't do it. She's always complaining about something.

It's time to tell her this. There isn't anything you can do and she needs to be the one who deals with her family. The concern you should have is if she is moving in with you to get away from them, not necessarily build upon the relationship she has with you. It does sound like the latter.

An adult would make the choice to move on independently. She isn't ready to move on from them and you shouldn't put your life on hold for her either. You don't want to be used as an escape/living arrangement either. Unfortunately you may be headed into a split here. Personally, I would be tired of hearing about her drama and try to find someone else.

There are many cons to LDRs, one being that one in the partnership will eventually have to move away from a place where all of their friends and family live. For people who have no ties, or for more free-spirited people are nomads or who seek new adventures, it might work. For people like your gf, it's apparently causing her to be anxious about a new life in a new community.

When you're not on the same page about major decisions like moving in together, it's not going to work and you should cut your losses before you invest any more time. In the future, I'd stick to local dating where it's less expensive, and you get to spend a lot more physical time with a woman--much more fun than Skyping.

Archived