Don't know how to approach this guy, or get him to approach me?

milly007

Hi All,

Like a lot of other people on here, I've become quite tired of online dating. Problem is, I rarely meet anyone during the course of my every day life who I'm interested in getting to know more than friends.

Everyday I take the same route to work, and walk past a cafe on the corner of my street. I noticed this cute guy sitting on the patio of the cafe with his dog and an older gentlemen a few months ago. I didn't really think much of it until I noticed that he's there every morning.

Unless I'm seeing things, I notice him take notice as I walk by and he watches. I notice him too, but normally have my sunglasses on. I can't really look too hard because it would be awkward as I'm walking by this small patio. I've come to realize that this part of my walk every morning has become my favourite part of the day.

No, I don't know anything about this guy. I just notice him enjoying the company of his dog and this older gentleman he sits with every morning out on the patio. I feel somewhat drawn to this stranger and would like to meet him. But honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin. For all I know he might not be interested and my inkling that he noticed me is way off base, but I digress...

Does anyone have any pointers here?

At this point I'm thinking of just stopping in at the cafe to grab a coffee on my way to work, but not quite sure what this will accomplish. Guess I'm just hoping something will?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can share.

Why don't you accidentally bump into him, spill his coffee and then start a conversation! "So I've noticed you are here every day! " how about that?

Lol, I don't know if this would quite work, Vesper. 😉 But I may head into the cafe tomorrow morning to see what comes of it...

I would do the following. I'd stop by their table and strike an innocent conversation. "Hi! I see you every morning. How peculiar is that. You three are always together! " As I say this I'd be smiling broadly in delight waiting for them to say something in return. They'd say, "Oh this is my father/uncle and so on... we sit here every day because we like it here" Your turn, "Oh I see, you just like this place. And I wasn't sure, I thought that perhaps you were the owners". Then watch for their lines, and keep smiling as if you're just happy to meet folks around your neighbourhood. Your goal is to have a chat, size up the fellow, see how he talks, smiles, and if you still fancy him. If you do, stretch out your hand to each of them including the dog (it'd make them laugh) "Oh, I am Holly, by the way, I live just around the block". "I am always so pleased to meet neighbours especially so interesting (or so sophisticated) like you are". And just keep going to get to know a bit more about them. Then split, say bye nice to meet you, I am off to work, and leave. Next day as you walk by you can wave at them and smile. And the next day as well. If the guy likes you, he'll find a way to say something when you pass, and will start a conversation with you. Then you know he wants to see you outside this setting.

If i was to connect the dots for you I'd become the worlds biggest dog lover "If i wasn't already" and open up a casual conversation after engaging his dog. The more he assumes that your intentions were in fact to converse with him he will be more inclined to ask you out if he's interested and had a glass of cement that morning

• 1 month later...

So, I've seen this guy many times since this post, but he was either with friends or this older gentleman, who could be his father.

I've had to head into work earlier within the last month, so I haven't seen him as often as I'd like.

However, as I was leaving the house this morning, and running behind time, I stepped outside, looked up, and saw two gentleman walking towards me on the opposite side of the street. They were walking through a parking lot and started walking in the same direction as me, but on the opposite side of the road. It was the guy! ☺️ He was also dressed up in a suit and tie and he was carrying a briefcase. It's so friggin hot today too! Poor guy, sweating his buns off in the suit. He looked adorable though!

I was trying not to stare. But every time I see him, I get excited and all I want to do is talk to him. Don't know if I'll get the chance though.

It's funny how we're just drawn to certain people. Makes me wonder why, or what it is that draws us in? This guy's a complete stranger though and can't remember wanting to get to know a stranger this badly. Help! Any ideas on what to do?

Here's what I would do.

I would go in to the cafe, grab a coffee and a bite to eat to-go. On your way out, ask if you can pet the dog! Dogs are the perfect "in" because asking to pet them is a normal thing plenty of people do, dog owners love people who love their dogs AND it's the perfect ice breaker. He'll probably let you give the dog a little love... learn the dog's name, etc. indulge in whatever conversation that follows into. Then I'd start making coffee there a regular thing, say hi to them every time you see them, give the dog a pat and soon enough, you'll be acquaintances and there will be a clear path for him to ask you out (or vice versa if that's how you roll!).

I would do the following. I'd stop by their table and strike an innocent conversation. "Hi! I see you every morning. How peculiar is that. You three are always together! " As I say this I'd be smiling broadly in delight waiting for them to say something in return. They'd say, "Oh this is my father/uncle and so on... we sit here every day because we like it here" Your turn, "Oh I see, you just like this place. And I wasn't sure, I thought that perhaps you were the owners". Then watch for their lines, and keep smiling as if you're just happy to meet folks around your neighbourhood. Your goal is to have a chat, size up the fellow, see how he talks, smiles, and if you still fancy him. If you do, stretch out your hand to each of them including the dog (it'd make them laugh) "Oh, I am Holly, by the way, I live just around the block". "I am always so pleased to meet neighbours especially so interesting (or so sophisticated) like you are". And just keep going to get to know a bit more about them. Then split, say bye nice to meet you, I am off to work, and leave. Next day as you walk by you can wave at them and smile. And the next day as well. If the guy likes you, he'll find a way to say something when you pass, and will start a conversation with you. Then you know he wants to see you outside this setting.

I think this is too forward and comes off too strong.

I'd focus on the dog and smile broadly next time I see him. Get a coffee and sit close by.

Here's what I would do.

I would go in to the cafe, grab a coffee and a bite to eat to-go. On your way out, ask if you can pet the dog! Dogs are the perfect "in" because asking to pet them is a normal thing plenty of people do, dog owners love people who love their dogs AND it's the perfect ice breaker. He'll probably let you give the dog a little love... learn the dog's name, etc. indulge in whatever conversation that follows into. Then I'd start making coffee there a regular thing, say hi to them every time you see them, give the dog a pat and soon enough, you'll be acquaintances and there will be a clear path for him to ask you out (or vice versa if that's how you roll!).

I agree I think the dog is a great way to introduce yourself...and a light topic that can start a conversation flowing. People love dogs and it is not uncommon for a stranger to comment on one..

Archived