Job Offer - Having a tough time with a decision

JT4266

I work for a great Hospital system, and have for just about 12 years, starting from the bottom and working my way up through IT. I formed a relationship with a very small company just about a year ago and recently they offered to bring me on board.

The opportunity is exciting, in that I would be a part of a growing company, I like the technology and the people. The pay is a bit more, 16%, and there are private stock options which could pay off in a few years. The only downside was travel, about 50% of the time on the road, usually a Tuesday-Thursday, some weeks not at all, some weeks longer.

I accepted the offer and was heavily countered by my current employer with a 32% increase. Currently I'm not unhappy, but maybe a little stagnant. The promise of change and new responsibilities was also made.

So now I'm feeling like there is no better option. Staying would mean more guaranteed money, some different responsibilities and not having to travel for work meaning I could be home with my girlfriend. Also things like twice the vacation (2 vs 4 weeks), better healthcare, etc for staying. And it makes sense to stay, there will be opportunity here in the future as well.

But I can't help but feel that I'd be missing out on something.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Is the travel something I should be concerned with?

I saw a study on LinkedIn that most people who get counters from their current employer end up leaving in 18 months anyway.

Why didn't they pay you what you were worth beforehand? Why did it take the threat of you leaving? That should bother you. They lowballed you for years.

Ask the new employer if there's a way to do less travel.

You weren't low balled. Its just business taking its organic course. Starting with a new company is exciting. You have the opportunity to reinvent your professional life. Take risks. You've invested 12 years in a healthcare setting. So long as you leave with a good reference, I can only imagine you will have a place somewhere within that industry if this new opportunity fails.

You could also counter offer this new company, and see if they might negotiate further to any degree. And who knows, maybe after a few years of travel you can work your way into a stationary position?

I'm leaning towards staying. It's not the sexy choice, but I do value my life outside of work and traveling (for vacations!!!) and my relationship is just 7 months old. Not to be cheesy but I'm 36 and finally think I've found "the one". Travel would be necessary and while I think we would be ok, it would strain me and the relationship.

Just having a lot of angst about this, even realizing I'm lucky to be in this position.

And if I do stay and am not satisfied I can always look for work down the road.

32% increase is unheard of. They must love you. My employer would say "good luck with your new employer...don't let the door hit you on the way out."

It all depends on your risk tolerance. Some are cool with status quo and feel "safe", and some like to take advantage of new opportunities to grow. (risky road less travelled)

What of the two do you best fall in?

50% travel is a lot for those who haven't done that before. With new employers it can be promises promises.

I say stay where you are, and ask for an increase this time next year as well. Now you know there is room in their budget to pay you more.

Well. Whatever you do, you need to be more proactive with your career. I strongly believe you should be paid what you deserve and you weren't.

Every year, you should evaluate what your marketplace worth is and ask for it if it isn't given. A 32% raise is nice - but I still hold it's insulting.

Sorry, but very often, when you've voiced an intention to leave for whatever reason (and I'd say especially in the case of pay), the writing is on the wall with the current employer even if the raise they've given you to keep you on for the near-term looks like a sign of good faith. While it's far from a secret there's a reason you're working for a paycheck and not volunteering, it's highly likely you're now seen more or less as a mercenary for hire. I'd stick with your original decision to go with the other job.

I would say take the new position, and ignore the employer who offered you a 32 percent raise. That much of a raise sounds too good to be true and would raise alarm bells for me.

First, why didn't they just offer that in the first place or something more along those lines? Do they and have they been giving you raises all along, or is this the first time they've even offered a pay raise after never doing so before? But really, that's too much money. I can see an offer that matches what the other people are offering you, but that? It makes me wonder if they'd offer it to you, then go behind your back, find someone else, and then fire you on trumped up reasons.

Other questions to ask yourself. Can they really afford that much money, does anyone else make that much, have they ever let people go for making too much money or not hired more qualified individuals before? What has their treatment of you been, what would they expect out of you for that extra money, is what they're offering you now more than what senior management above you is making?

If your answer is yes to any or all of the above, I would say not to take it, because something seems off about that.

If you do make sure you get it in writing, in a legally binding employment contract that you side check past an attorney, and hold them to it, with maybe a clause that they have to keep you on for X amount of time. If they balk then I would take the other offer.

I would say take the new position, and ignore the employer who offered you a 32 percent raise. That much of a raise sounds too good to be true and would raise alarm bells for me.

First, why didn't they just offer that in the first place or something more along those lines? Do they and have they been giving you raises all along, or is this the first time they've even offered a pay raise after never doing so before? But really, that's too much money. I can see an offer that matches what the other people are offering you, but that? It makes me wonder if they'd offer it to you, then go behind your back, find someone else, and then fire you on trumped up reasons.

Other questions to ask yourself. Can they really afford that much money, does anyone else make that much, have they ever let people go for making too much money or not hired more qualified individuals before? What has their treatment of you been, what would they expect out of you for that extra money, is what they're offering you now more than what senior management above you is making?

I can understand that this seems odd from my current employer. I know they can afford this (it's a huge organization) and I trust that I'm not being set up to be fired. They treat their people well, it's actually a great organization, and I've slowly but surely moved up in position and salary. And people above me DEFINITELY make more.

Thanks for the input all, its helpful to hear other perspectives. Given that I have a lot of trust in my current employer, have it in writing about the increase in pay and date it will take effect I have all but decided to stay. The other opportunity is really hard to pass on! It seems really exciting and has high upside, given that I would have equity that could pay off in a big way. But I think with the amount of travel needed, keeping the additional vacation time and other perks of this current job, my quality of life will just be better staying. I truly think even here there is more opportunity and I made it clear to my leadership that its not just about the money and about more responsibility and growth.

Okay, this is good news. If you trust your current employer and have no reason to doubt them, plus a pay raise in writing, then that's great news! It sounds like you were able to process everything and come to the right conclusion for you.

Good luck in life. It's really nice to hear about a company that wants to keep its employees happy and values them.

Archived