Anxiety and Alcohol

I can no longer handle drinking. I used to be able to in my early 20's and I didn't think just a few years would make a difference but it really has. Nowadays, whenever I drink, I get crippling anxiety once I begin to sober up. I run through everything that I said, everything that was done, I get the shakes, can't sleep, the works. Yesterday was my last straw and while I really enjoy drinking, my body really doesn't. This morning was the worst amount of anxiety I've had (post-drinking) ever. My heart is racing, I've got the shakes, I can't calm down, the self loathing I'm feeling for myself just won't go away even though it wasn't a bad night, I just can't function like this! Has anyone else ever experienced this? Have I completely lost it?

I haven't experienced that , but I definitely realised in my late 30's early 40's that my hangover recovery was like a two day visit into hell and I am just not interested in pubs or clubs , the noise , the hustle and bustle , drunk people started to annoy the bejesus out of me with their drunk dribble , no memory of the night before , loving everyone or wanting to fight everyone ...

give me a room full of stoners anytime compared to that ^^^

I am the exact same way. I didn't realize for many years that drinking alcohol was contributing a lot to my anxiety. My body just hates alcohol! So I just stick to marijuana now. It agrees with my body chemistry.

Definitely take a long hiatus from drinking, your mind and body will thank you.

It may be time to get a physical. While your body may just be starting to tell you something, sudden alcohol intolerance can have underlying causes. Be honest about the alcohol consumption.

Obviously the solution is to cut back, but have yourself checked out. Explain your symptoms so they can run the appropriate blood tests, liver function tests, cardiac exams, etc. As you know, alcohol is technically a solvent and toxic over time to many organ systems.

If you feel you are drinking more than your body can handle or feel bad about it, why not check out the AA website and possibly sit in on a meeting to see if it pertains to you?

My heart is racing, I've got the shakes, I can't calm down, the self loathing I'm feeling for myself just won't go away even though it wasn't a bad night, I just can't function like this!
  • 1 month later...
It may be time to get a physical. While your body may just be starting to tell you something, sudden alcohol intolerance can have underlying causes. Be honest about the alcohol consumption.

Obviously the solution is to cut back, but have yourself checked out. Explain your symptoms so they can run the appropriate blood tests, liver function tests, cardiac exams, etc. As you know, alcohol is technically a solvent and toxic over time to many organ systems.

If you feel you are drinking more than your body can handle or feel bad about it, why not check out the AA website and possibly sit in on a meeting to see if it pertains to you?

Completely agree with this advice.

Let us know how you're doing....

Archived