Breaking up with my alcoholic girlfriend

Kfinch1

I'm here to tell you I'm in a lot of pain because of this. But I think I made the right decision for me and my son. My girlfriend is in her late forties she's a professional woman that teacher, and very outgoing and social. I think she surrounds herself with family and friends that enable her to drink. I called it off after 14 months. But I knew that there was an issue after 6 months but it's taken me this long to say goodbye. She doesn't drink until she gets home in the evening for what she calls winding down. At that point she drinks several glasses of rum mixed with Diet Coke. She says it still relieve all this stress. But I've seen the signs along the way she's gotten very very flush priority red nose which I've looked into which means a sign of alcoholism plus when I very first met her she told me that she's been drinking for a long time and didn't intend to give it up. I should have got out then. But this went on for several months and I've really been torn and in conflict and this really hurts .now that she's in her late 40s Kama she's going through menopause which is causes her to not sleep right and be restless at night and have nightly sweats. Which smells like alcohol. To me that was the last straw plus seeing her at night having casual conversations with her slurring your words and being drunk just doesn't cut it for me. My question is did I do the right thing is there any way that we will be able to get back together? The woman has a lot of other signs too. I think she's narcissistic and she's very controlling with the alcoholism on top of it.

The only one who can fix this problem is her..she needs to realise the problem, get into some kind of addiction program and quit altogether.

She cannot do this for you or anyone else, only for herself.

At this point, I can't see it happening. She does not want to quit nor sounds like she is even admitting a problem.

You did well on seeing the problem as it is devastating for families especially children..good to hear you're looking after yourself and your son.

Sounds like she needs to evaluate her career if it's forcing her to drink to that extent. I don't see how her being an alcoholic during the evening is good for her teaching career either.

It's a shame that this all sounds pretty common when you browse teacher stress related sub-forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Update with my alcoholic ex girlfriend. It's been going on two weeks now, and nothing's changed. I don't think she's ever going to change but, it's tough for me to move on I know I have to. I just pray to God that no one has to get hurt or die because of the situation.

Archived