I am recovering from a break up like most others on here. I'm doing okay but it is a process however I know I will be fine. I was wondering apart from the ghastly feelings that you have deal with if anyone has physical pains. Since I saw the ex with another woman I've had a sick feeling in my stomach and cramps. I thought it was my diet at first, I've not been eating as much as usual and I thought it would pass. It's been 4 days of these pains now and I sometimes feel physically sick still. Is this normal?

SB

I haven't eaten properly in nearly 3 weeks.

I mean I've hardly eaten anything. I've lost 10 kilos in weight - yeah I look better in my clothes now.

However, my guts are all over the place. Let's just say I've not been on solids during this time.

I think it's just your body getting over the shock.

Same. Can't face eating much, but am managing little and often to keep my strength up.

I've got a horrible weight in my chest, feels like it I'll completely consume me...I'm sure it's anxiety related, fear of the future, terrified of being alone.

I'm told these symptoms will pass in time.

A checkup never hurts. It could be the stress of the breakup or other things going on simultaneously. Also ask the doctor for a referral to a therapist to help release and re-frame some of those breakup feelings.

Since I saw the ex with another woman I've had a sick feeling in my stomach and cramps. It's been 4 days of these pains now and I sometimes feel physically sick still.
Same. Can't face eating much, but am managing little and often to keep my strength up.

I've got a horrible weight in my chest, feels like it I'll completely consume me...I'm sure it's anxiety related, fear of the future, terrified of being alone.

I'm told these symptoms will pass in time.

Oh. . wow, I could have written this.

Sorry. .

This happened to me many years ago after getting ghosted by someone I really liked. My stomach kept hurting and bothering me for a week straight, especially when I tried to drink anything (alcohol). Then I took a trip to the beach, and it completely stopped hurting all of a sudden. It was stress.

Since I saw the ex with another woman I've had a sick feeling in my stomach and cramps. I thought it was my diet at first, I've not been eating as much as usual and I thought it would pass. It's been 4 days of these pains now and I sometimes feel physically sick still. Is this normal?

SB

It's completely normal. The first time you see your ex with someone else after the breakup, it can be a really traumatic experience. I saw mine with her new/old bf less than two weeks after the breakup (and after 8 days NC), just as I was stopped at red light, and it was a physical shock. I felt physically sick, got stomach cramps, racing pulse etc., and all of it before I even knew what was going on. It's like someone presses a button and you have a complete mode shift. I've seen her once since (on her own), which wasn't as bad, but still gave me something of a reaction like that; it does get better with time, though. I look forward to the day that I don't even notice her on the street; can't come soon enough.

I actually ended up dehydrated after two weeks of non-stop crying and not properly replenishing my water when my ex and I first broke up. It was pretty awful. The headaches and dry lips/mouth and just absolute exhaustion took over, and in a way I was happy to feel something aside from complete emotional devastation.

Now, I actually suffer from random anxiety attacks throughout the day. It's usually random and then something small triggers this painful hole in my chest, and before I know it I'm struggling to rid myself of the feeling that I'm drowning. I was diagnosed with PTSD for a traumatic childhood/teenage years, however, so intense panic and anxiety attacks aren't really uncommon for me. The reason why has just changed.

A lot of people feel the physical stress of a break-up. It's a traumatic experience that you don't quite understand until you've actually gone through it and have hit that rock bottom. Until you've felt that crippling heartache. You're going to be okay, though. I promise you that. You're stronger than your experiences, and you're going to get through this, even if it doesn't seem like it. We have all gone through this nightmare, and we've got your back.

Depression and anxiety can be very physical emotions. The body can play weird tricks on us when it's agitated or trying to secretly tell us something.

A few years ago I was in a relationship that caused me to vomit every morning around 5 am.... every day. I'd be exhausted and crying but wouldn't be able to lay back down until hours later when my stomach was settled. Everyone thought I was just pregnant. This went on for MONTHS! I never went to the doctor because for some reason I was convinced they couldn't help me.

Then, I broke up with the bad influence. And it was incredible, like magic my symptoms went away. In a matter of days I went from throwing up miserable to completely healthy again. I realized then that I had been throwing up my ex boyfriend this whole time.

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen to you, I guess my point is that we carry our stress physically on our bodies sometimes, especially when it comes to the subject of love. You need a change of scenery. Get out of your head a little bit, however that looks for you. Go see a movie with a friend, go for a nice walk around the neighborhood, goto the beach and rip up a love letter to your ex and throw it in the ocean. Just be gentle with yourself and keep your anxiety down. It is like a physical injury. Your "fight or flight" is going off and you have to soothe yourself over time to get it to lessen. You can do this!

Archived