Broke up with my GF, need advice

tonstar89

Ill keep this short, Last semester I met a woman five and half years younger than me in a class we were taking together. We talked for a month and started dating. We had a serious connection to the point we knew we wanted to get married. We quickly fell in love and spent most of every waking moment this last summer together (when we weren't working mind you I work 40 hours a week)! It was amazing and I thought she was everything I wanted. She had her bad habits, she could be very insensitive and from time to time she got into a terrible mood and after a few months became very controlling. She did not like when I canceled plans we had together (which probably happened a total of maybe 2 times in 6 and a half months). We set aside one day a week, Wednesday, to take time to ourselves so we didn't smother each other. She almost expected that I take her out on dates quiet often, and was upset that I didn't take her out as often as she wanted, keep in mind I make about 1,000 dollars a month and have about 900 in bills and other expenses. I still took her out on fancy dates at least one time per month.

Last night we had plans to attend her a b-day party for her mothers boyfriends daughter, which fell on a Wednesday. At first I told her I would go however after thinking about it I changed my mind for a couple of reasons. The foremost being I needed some time to myself. Keep in mind I hang with her everyday, all the time when we are not at work or school, and frankly I found her attitude annoying and didn't want to hang out with her. After texting back and forth disagreeing, not fighting, I got a call from her, one that she did not intend to make (otherwise known as butt dialing). I over heard her conversation between her a multiple male individuals. I could not make out everything being said but I definitely heard her say, "Yeah its stupid, I have like 50 other guys that would take me to this party, Okay that sounded bad but seriously" and proceeded to laugh very hard( she was having a great time it sounded like) at a response from a male she was talking to. I listened for a couple more minutes and proceeded to call her. She answered and I immediately told her that she butt dialed me and I heard EVERYTHING for the last 5 minutes. She got dead quiet, and responded after about 10 seconds of silence, "my bad"..... this from a women who tells she loves me and wants me to ask her to marry her for Christmas. I hung up on her and she text me saying, "i messed up, I am sorry" I wasn't having it after a brief conversation I told her she knew exactly what she was saying and exactly what she was doing and I am done with our relationship.

Did I over react?

I feel like I should mention that she did treat me really well when she was not being grumpy or an insensitive . I realize I could have taken some time to myself on another night and I certainly entertained the idea however its worth mentioning that it was a boundary I set in our relationship that we take Wednesday apart. If I don't hold true to my boundaries she wont respect and I wont respect me. I told her that we would see each other the next day and like a spoiled brat she threw a fit to the next dude she saw. It just so happened I over heard her little tantrum and gave me a good idea who she was on the inside she hadn't shown me yet. thank you all for responding I very much appreciate your input.

Archived