I posted about the same guy about a month ago and well heres the link if you want to read link removed

Ok so he said Hi to me the other day when we were online. It was short but he did let me know that he was having a few problems in his life at the moment. I said that I was here to talk to if he needed me to listen. He said thanks but said he wasn't up to it. Ok that's fine.

We were talking online again today and it was clear that he wanted to talk. I said hi and asked how he was. He said he wasn't so good. I asked if he wanted to talk about it and he said that this girl that he had been dating can't accept the fact that he wants to move on. They live together. Ok so I asked why she can't accept it and he said that she thinks she'll have no one if she doesn't have him. She's tried to kill herself and he's stopped he twice. I asked him if he still had feelings for her or if there was anyway that they could work things out. He said he just wants to be friends and that he's tried. And I told him that being friends under the circumstances is alot harder especially when feelings aren't mutual. He said he knows. Then he said sometimes I think the only way I'm going to get out of this is if one of us is dead. I told him not to say that and not to do anything stupid. He said he had to go not long after. I told him to take care and to decide what he needs to do. He said thanks and said that he would let me know what he decides to do.

Not really looking for advice just needed to vent. Cause I feel like I've gotten myself into the middle of the situation by being a friend to him. And when he said he would like to catch up again soon and telling me that he's going to let me know what happens. I just don't want him to turn to me in the hope that something will happen. I should have just stayed out of it all, but he was a friend in need.

Have I done the wrong thing by being there for him?, Giving him advice on something in which I have no clue about. I don't even know her. And I just know the situation from his point of view.

i don't think u done the wrong thing.. u can never not be there for friendz. that's why we have friendz. to rely on them to be there for us

i think wot u done woz exactly wot any good friend would have done.

but suicidal thoughtz come into this 'n thtz a different thing altogether. one of my friendz thought like that once 'n i woz constantly worried 'n never stopped contacting them thinkin they would harm themselves..

i put thingz in perspective 'n they snapped out of it BUT obviously i can't speak for everyone with these thoughtz

i think you should keep being there for a friend but he has to realize thatz all it is..'friendship' and u don't want anything more.. try not to make it awkward tho.. i know thtz hard but he has to know there's someone there to be there for him.

best of luck 'n keep us updated

What you did to keep him from going down the wrong path was admirable. Anyone should do that. But the next step is to refer him to a guidance counselor (Kaiser Permanente or whatever medical service that is in your area). If the issue of SUICIDE is involved, then it's best that they need professional help. So when he IMs or emails you back, shoot him an emergency number. Then, back away from this.

how could you classify him as a friend?

Especially if you've only met him once in person and the rest of the time online? Here in SF, a friend (from offline) qualifies as someone who I've spent enough time with in person together.