Really Frustrated Post Graduation from College

I graduated nearly 6 months ago and I am nowhere near where I want to be. I am only making $12 an hour at a company that is filled with drama and lies. My job is basically me paying the company's bills from vendors and filing (accounting). I feel I can so much more, but obviously I am limited since my current job is full time and the work does take up most of my time. I am mostly by myself and I don't talk to my coworkers much since my job does not really involve me communicating that much with them and I am mostly busy while at times they go up and talk entirely way too much and it is hard for me to relate to these people. There is also political propaganda hanging on the wall of their corporate office. Issues like this is why I really want to leave here. There are even times the president of the company doesn't speak to me, even when I say hello and I have since stopped doing so.He has also lied to me about receiving a finders fee for bringing in a product that because a popular seller and claimed one of their buyers did so which wasn't true. Other coworkers have also been rude to me as well and I am in the same room as my boss and they would walk in and not even acknowledge me. I used to put forth the effort, but once again I don't anymore. Basically, the culture of this company does not fit with who I am.

Anyway, I was an English major in college (kinda feeling like I should have majored in something else now) but I did since I was always an exceptional writer though I was interested in marketing for logical reasons. My school started a marketing major literally a few months before I was supposed to graduate. However, I had 2 internships in marketing, but that was 2 years ago so it was a while. I feel that my lack of graphic design experience (Photoshop & others) hurts my chance since I do not have that experience but I mostly used Microsoft Office for projects during my internships. There are other factors that I feel that are hurting me which is my ethnic sounding name that happens to have an apostrophe in it. Ex. La'Cresha (This isn't my name but an example of what it looks like). I even considered taking that out of my resume and cover letter since I read that it can influence an employers decision process.

Furthermore, I do not want to take more classes in graphic design just to "hope" I will finally get a "Yes" and waste more money when I already owe $13,000+ and on top of this my boyfriend and I were wanting to move out soon. He is debt free and basically went to a community college and only had $4,000 to pay off and is at a stable job where he is growing. Right now, my only true connection to something is a cousin of mine who lives out of state and he knows people. However, I do not want to move out of state for the simple fact that I want to stay with my boyfriend. So, I feel stuck and torn as to what I should do. I have literally tried all outlets, school job fair, asking for advice from teachers, reaching out to former connections/any connections, applying. Here we are, nearly 6 months later and nothing. It was easier to gain internships than it has been to gain an interview, and I have only had 1 this whole time. This is a rant and a plea for advice since I really feel down in the dumps.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang in there, first job out of college disillusionment is par for the course.

Find a way to cultivate friendships at work, don't need them to be truly deep, just enough to go to lunch with.

Then start looking for a new job. An English major can become a tech writer, For example. Look up on glassdoor and linkedin to see what is out there. Join STC (Society of Professional Communicators) to see their job bank.

Again, hang in there, it'll get better.

Hang in there, first job out of college disillusionment is par for the course.

Find a way to cultivate friendships at work, don't need them to be truly deep, just enough to go to lunch with.

Then start looking for a new job. An English major can become a tech writer, For example. Look up on glassdoor and linkedin to see what is out there. Join STC (Society of Professional Communicators) to see their job bank.

Again, hang in there, it'll get better.

Lol, the last thing I want to do at this job is befriend them like that. As I said, I can not relate to them at all compared to my old coworkers and they were never that rude.

I know of someone with only an English/Philosophy undergraduate degree who makes about $350K US a year by the time she was 30. She is a financial writer (mostly speech writer). So it is possible to become successful with an English degree. Instead of focusing on what you can't do and don't like, focus on the positive. You might consider working at a bank at an entry level communications department if you want to use your degree. Generally, marketing positions require you to have an education in marketing and that includes the statistical stuff unique to marketing. Communications may be a better start if you have an English degree alone.

If you have to adjust your resume, do so. I agree, sometimes people have their little prejudices when they see a resume. However, some industries appear to be promoting diversity. Maybe try doing some volunteer communications. Just make the time. An English degree alone is going help, but some practice will help even more.

Good luck, keep positive and don't give up.

Typically, if you are not getting any interviews or any acknowledgment that you applied, it means that your resume needs work.

I have had acknowledgement that I applied for certain positions and I would follow up with no response. I have also asked my former bosses at internships to help revise the job description and they have. So, idk what else I should do or who to take it to.

Typically, if you are not getting any interviews or any acknowledgment that you applied, it means that your resume needs work.

More specifically, it's not making it clear to whoever is hiring that they should actually talk to you.

There was one resume I did for the same company that I introduced my current company's product for a position as a warehouse manager. I have warehouse experience and I even mentioned that I brought the product in for the store to consider selling since I was fascinated by the uniqueness and smell of the product (candles). Idk if that was a bit much but I thought that was important to note since I basically praised their product and it's at a store where it has been proven to sell well. I didn't even get a interview for that.

Lol, the last thing I want to do at this job is befriend them like that. As I said, I can not relate to them at all compared to my old coworkers and they were never that rude.

Holy cow! maybe you need to adjust your attitude so at the very least you can enjoy some of the time you are at work. Unless these people are absolutely vile, Evil creatures, then to say that it is the last thing you would do is pretty over the top.

If you drop the defensiveness and judgment of them, you may find that they drop their walls too.

Marketing today is about.social media, graphic design and a lot of technical skills. Focus more on writing...or any other area that seems interesting to you. I was an English major. First job out of college was selling college textbooks. The industry still exists...more tech oriented but there are still textbooks...and editor positions.

My trajectory went on to the investment world...wound up with MBA and became the marketing manager for.several large investment companies. I wrote (and staff produced) all of our written material.

I was a journalism major and decided i needed to eat regularly so i went into tech writing after two years. Tech writing, information architecture, knowledge management, ever since.

Silicon Valley has been kinder to me than newspapers have been to my old friends who stayed as reporters.

graphic design jobs or fjobs that use graphic design programs would be hard to get into with out some kind training or school with editing programs...I have my associates in graphic design....

Do you have any connections that could put in a good word or even get you an interview...

what types of jobs are you applying to? We have people that work where i work, (Engineer1ing )

and we have tech writers who were english majors e1c.

Yes, that kind of information doesn't belong in the resume. So I'm going to stick with your resume probably needs a lot of work. Consider looking up a professional resume writer and go from there. Don't take that personally either. Resume writing is a technical skill, particularly in a time when software reads your resume before human eyes do. So knowing what to say, what terms to use and where to place them takes specific skill and experience.

Also, it sounds to me like you might be wasting time applying for positions that you don't actually have any qualifications for. Like warehouse manager will typically have either an engineering or logistics background. I have warehouse experience doesn't count and won't be considered. No surprise that they didn't respond. Your resume is not even in the ballpark for that job.

Instead of grasping at whatever, focus on what career you actually want to have. For example - communications or PR. Do the research, focus on what and how you need to present yourself and then really zero in on those jobs. Make it personal. Instead of sending out resumes at large, better send out fewer that are really really focused on a career path where you actually belong, where people hiring look at your resume and say, "English degree - awesome! Call her up and lets arrange an interview asap."

I'll be honest I did feel shameful at first since you are right, that information wasn't needed. Idk I guess jobs specifically focused on that are far and few in between where I am. What I really wanted to do was be a communications assistant which 1 job actually had that role. Other jobs weren't as specific but revolved around similar aspects. You are right by focusing more on exactly what I want career jobs instead of just picking it for certain features and not the whole picture.

I want to make my resumes/cover letters personal and having some of my personality.. but at the same time, I don't want to come off as cocky/arrogant. Also, I don't want to have a boring resume/cover letter that screams a "carbon copy" if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, I and a few of my peers feel let down by my school since they didn't really give any true direction or help. The only way to do so was if you had connections prior, you were good. Otherwise, you pretty much have to do everything on your own like I did. Trust me, doing so was very hard to do while in college. I wish I had a mentor or something like that but I was that busy with being a full-time student, working, interning, meetings with professors, etc. I can't make excuses now, but it is what it is. College just feels like one huge blur now and I also kind of sad to have to say I kinda "regret" having my degree. Only because I realized in many postings, English majors were rarely considered only for sales/customer service positions. I am sure most people don't go to college just to end up in sales/customer service and I don't hence why I was trying to look for others first.

graphic design jobs or fjobs that use graphic design programs would be hard to get into with out some kind training or school with editing programs...I have my associates in graphic design....

Do you have any connections that could put in a good word or even get you an interview...

what types of jobs are you applying to? We have people that work where i work, (Engineer1ing )

and we have tech writers who were english majors e1c.

I had 1 true connection who was my former intern boss and she now owns her own marketing firm. She hasn't really helped me at all when I asked which surprised me. I looked at her Linkedin profile and she had over 500 connections. I applied for various jobs and these are the job titles from each job posting I applied to: Communications assistant, Marketing Assistant, Assistant (event planning), Sales and Marketing Assistant Position, Project Coordinator (the 1 I got interviewed for), Event and Logistics Coordinator, E-Commerce Coordinator, Media Assistant, Sales Development Representative, and Legal Assistant.

As you can see with the jobs that I do want to do are far and few in between. Idk maybe I am over reaching???

So go back to school or at least pursue a professional certificate at a university extension. Hit the reset button.

I might have to do that but I am going to wait a few more months. If I don't have any success by September, then I know that is what I probably have to do unfortunately.

Marketing today is about.social media, graphic design and a lot of technical skills. Focus more on writing...or any other area that seems interesting to you. I was an English major. First job out of college was selling college textbooks. The industry still exists...more tech oriented but there are still textbooks...and editor positions.

My trajectory went on to the investment world...wound up with MBA and became the marketing manager for.several large investment companies. I wrote (and staff produced) all of our written material.

That is true but honestly, I know for a fact those jobs are harder to find if I am correct. I mean, the only job that dealt with writing that I specifically saw was a marketing writer for a math software company.

Thinking outside the box - volunteer for a political campaign in your area. It's a golden opportunity to develop relationships with people in PR, communications, marketing, etc. Come to it with the idea that no job or request is beneath you and be personable, active, interested (even if it sucks or you don't agree with it), show how reliable you are, etc. Once a job comes up, you'll be first in line so long as you really work hard on developing and maintaining those relationships and have a really good demeanor. Think of it as selling yourself as a person rather than selling any skills in particular.

P.S. Linkedin connections mean about as much as a ton of FB connections - random people you don't know with maybe a few you do. Also, someone who just started their company is going to be strapped for cash and frankly not in any position to help anyone. They can barely help themselves and it will be a long time before they can even consider others assuming they ever get to that level.

Ok, good suggestion. However, I do have a full-time job now. Idk I quit social media 5 years ago and it was kinda awkward being inclined to have to sign up to social media once again. Idk it seems kinda pointless imo. Just another number game of how many people you can have instead of you as a person. Basically, it seems that popularity mean more than anything.

The jobs you posted for all require experience of some sort in at least that field.

And yes...my ultimate jobs were very specialized. However, I took any job I could find in the investment management field to learn the vernacular and to learn the processes, etc.

Your current job is not going to add to your resume. So keep it to pay the bills and commit to spending several hours each day and weekends to find what you do want AND are qualified to do.

Is there any reason to believe she needs another intern? Small business are fairly lean.

Idk was just a thought. I feel so stuck since I really don't know what else to do. I guess since I thought I had it figured out all along, I was not expecting such disappointment. Being in college was seriously the hardest I've worked so far. I multitasked more than ever, I dealt with death, I had family and personal issues while managing a 3.2 gpa. Doing that was very hard to do and it feels like you have to break your neck to get anywhere. Especially with a degree like mine I feel. Its almost as I possibly have to start over.

You did great! You don't have to start over...but you do have to start on the first rung of the career ladder. And to do that you have to be focused and tenacious!

Pick a field of interest and search out first level positions that use you skill set: writing, analysis, communication.

If you want to be a paralegal...take the courses. Sending a resume for that position with no background or course work is pie in the sky.

Getting started is hard work. Maybe go to a temp agency and see what kind of work you can get in a field you are interested in.

Archived