Breastfeeding: I NEED ADVICE

Okay to all those who have had some experience in breastfeeding, I need some major help!

I went to the doctor today because my son's pediatrician said I had infected milk ducts. They are so utterly painful I can barely stand it. On one side it's like a big mass that doesn't hurt so bad, and I can get a lot of milk out of that side. On the other, I the whole underside is rock-solid and it hurts so bad to touch it. I can get a little milk out of there, then it dries up.

I have tried hot compresses, warm showers, massaging, pumping, heating pads, etc. but nothing seems to work. I went to my doctor today and he said it's not infected YET and wrote me out a prescription for antibiotics for when it does get infected (so much for prevention...).

I really don't want to stop breastfeeding, I'm completely determined but I need some tips!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Priority alert!, the baby's health goes above your desire to give it breastfeeding. Id rather shoot myself with a bullet thru my head then letting my kid die by an infection caused by my irrisponsible actions. I don't mind breastfeeding, but not Infected breastfeeding!!!

Make the step to normal babymilk or find a surrogate replacement if you insist that it gets mothermilk. But PLEASE do not bring your childs health in DANGER!!!!

Priority alert!, the baby's health goes above your desire to give it breastfeeding. Id rather shoot myself with a bullet thru my head then letting my kid die by an infection caused by my irrisponsible actions. I don't mind breastfeeding, but not Infected breastfeeding!!!

Make the step to normal babymilk or find a surrogate replacement if you insist that it gets mothermilk. But PLEASE do not bring your childs health in DANGER!!!!

Your child will not die because you have an infection (mastitis) The above poster has obviously never breastfed.....This is common...I had it too. What you need to do, besides the showers and compresses is to have the baby empty out that side as much as possible....you have a clogged duct. It hurts, you get a fever. You will not die. Contact La Leche League and they can give you more answers. Do not discontinue breastfeeding over this...you will get through it...there are nurses and breastfeeding experts that will tell you the right information. Good for you for breastfeeding ! It rocks !

The doctor already told her it's NOT infected, good grief!!! AND, FYI, breastfeeding (by the mother) provides the baby with the best defense against infection. GRRRRRRRR

I've been told by breastfeeding lecturers that even when there is blood present, it's OK to feed. Sounds like you did the right thing by checking in with the pediatrician. Have you tried any topical creams? I read that expressing milk and rubbing it over the nipple when the child is not feeding is actually a great healing remedy.

Are they cracked and swollen, open?

BTR, I have no idea, but I imagine this might be something I have to face once I have my baby. I've heard this is quite common, and to be honest, if it's that unbearable for me, I will have no trouble switching to bottle-feeding. That kind of pain will start to make you truly fear and dread feeding time, which is supposed to be a peaceful bonding time...if it takes a bottle instead of a boob to achieve that, don't feel guilty!

Just something to keep in mind if nothing seems to alleviate the pain.

Hi BTR,

The above poster is right- Mastitis won't hurt the baby. The way that breasts work is by supply and demand. So if you either nurse or pump regularly (as on the unaffected breast) you will keep up your milk supply (as you have noticed). If you nurse less on one side (because of pain) that breast will gradually begin to produce less milk (as you have also noticed!) It is actually beneficial to the infection to breastfeed.

So, if your doc says that it is not infected yet... keep doing what you're doing. Hot showers, hot packs, keep breastfeeding and/or pumping the affected breast to keep up the milk supply, and take Tylenol for pain as needed (no more than 4 grams a day- ask your OB how much is safe), and be sure to drink plenty of water- have a glass at least every time you sit down to breastfeed.

Have you been running a fever at all? Is the affected breast red? Hot?

link removed

It hurts SO unbelievably bad!!!

On the one side it hurts to touch it, and I feed him off this side first since I seem to be lacking milk, then I pump afterwards to try to get more. Pumping at least doesn't hurt (as bad) but I don't seem to be making any progress. How can you tell if it's getting unblocked...? Does it happen gradually or does it just kinda "pop" and then there's milk? I can't believe how painful it is.

The other side is okay at the moment...I have some huge masses in there and I try to massage them but nothing seems to work. They don't hurt but I know it's just a matter of time before it does.

I got some of those hot pack things (you open the pack and it gets hot when it touches air and stays hot for 8 hours or so) but once again, doesn't really seem to help.

This goes away, right? I really, really do NOT want to stop breastfeeding and as long as I know it passes, I won't give up.

I already dealt with the nipple pain and that seemed like it would never go away but it did...hopefully this is the same.

I contacted LaLeche group but they didn't call me back. They have a breastfeeding support group at my hospital that I'm going to try to attend next week too, hopefully they have some advice.

It just sucks because my doctor gave me a prescription for antibiotics but I pretty much have to just wait til it gets infected...it doesn't sound right. *sigh* This is pretty discouraging.

Hi BTR,

Yes, antibiotics taken by you can cause a case of thrush in your baby, but did you also know that your baby can transfer thrush to your breasts as well? This can cause pain in your breasts too.

If anything it sounds as though your breasts are getting worse- if I were you I'd go back to the doctor for a followup appt.

Well I just started the antibiotics so we'll see how they work and if they don't get better within a couple days, I'll go back. He told me to wait til I had a fever to start them, but I looked in the mirror today and the lumps are bright red and hot...one of them is the size of a golf ball now. I really hope the antibiotics kick in...it's been less than 24 hours though since I started them.

My SIL's newborn had thrush and it was painful for her, they just kept transferring it back and forth to each other...I just don't want that to happen along with everything else. If I can prevent it, I'll try.

I know eating yogurt prevents yeast infections...would it prevent thrush too? *crosses fingers*

Eating yogurt with live cultures or acidophilus tablets can help keep a healthy level of bacteria in your body, and can help keep the balance of yeast and bacteria in check.

I think you made a wise choice if the lumps in your breast were hot and swollen and red and painful....

If you are not starting to feel better in 36 hours or so, do call the doctor back and schedule a follow up.

If you can keep breastfeeding or at least pump the affected breast to keep up the milk supply, that will help too.

Breastfeeding is hard work!

I never thought it was this hard though! This is by far one of the most painful things I have experienced (besides childbirth of course!)

I figured once I got past the nipple pain, I was in the clear, but nope!

Yep, that is what most new moms have told me. I'm very impressed and proud of you that you are sticking to it, despite all your difficulties.

It's a great thing for your baby.

I'm very impressed and proud of you that you are sticking to it, despite all your difficulties.

It's a great thing for your baby.

Gosh...I really have to say I don't necessarily agree with the implication that one should suffer such extraordinary pain because breastfeeding is "great" for the baby. Honestly, no offense Hope. I'm usually right on the same page with you.

And I realize there was a time where breastfeeding wasn't exactly frowned upon, but it wasn't encouraged enough. However, I believe we've swung waaaaaay too far in the opposite direction, and women are being urged to do EVERYTHING natural, from going without an epidural to suffering through extreme pain when breastfeeding.

I have a very good friend who had such severe vaginal tearing during birth, that she was in horrific pain for months afterwards. She and her husband couldn't even have sex until almost nine monthys after the birth of their baby. And because she was breastfeeding, she wasn't allowed to take pain medication besides Tylenol (which didn't work at all, this woman needed Vicodin or Percoset!). Not once did anyone say, "Since the pain is so bad, why don't you just switch to bottlefeeding so you can get some relief from it?"

I just don't get that. I mean, millions and millions of babies are bottlefed every year (I was one of them). And they turn out fine.

BTR, don't get me wrong, I can understand why this means so much to you. Being pregnant myself, I'm hoping I can breastfeed too. But if it's that painful to the point my breasts get infected? I would feel so guilt or compunction whatsoever switching to bottlefeeding.

Scout,

I don't think I implied anywhere that BTR has to continue breastfeeding, despite her pain. Breastfeeding is extremely difficult and takes alot of dedication and commitment, as well as practice. It's not for everyone, and it's every woman's choice. Since BTR is determined to continue, I am merely supporting her in that choice.

I'm simply saying that many health benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby have been studied and documented.

Some are:

For mom:

Helps uterus involute, or shrink back to it's pre-pregnancy size, more quickly. This decreases risk of post partum hemorrhage.

Pregnancy weight loss. Breastfeeding burns roughly 500 extra calories per day for mom, and this helps her lose her extra pregnancy weight.

On tap, anytime, anywhere. No heating up, mixing, or preparing needed.

For baby:

Breastmilk contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients for baby, and it's all premixed, and kept at the perfect temperature. No preperation whatsoever.

Colostrum, the clear liquid that is expressed from the breasts in the first days following childbirth, contains maternal antibodies for the newborn which help protect him or her from infections or viruses, until he or she is old enough to be vaccinated.

Babies who are breastfed are shown to develop less allergies and ear infections.

And for both mom and baby, the breast is the exact location to allow for ideal distance eye contact between mom and baby. And skin-to-skin touching and nursing promotes bonding and attachment between mom and baby.

So yes, there are many benefits to breastfeeding, but again, it's not for everyone, and not everyone can do it. But if you can, and you want to, it's a great thing for both mom and baby.

PS- Mastitis tends to happen because mom has poor handwashing techniques before and after breastfeeding- and she transmits the bacteria to her nipples herself, so BTR, good handwashing both before and after breastfeeding is crucial!

I should add that in the case of your friend, Scout, it's a shame that no one made other options for feeding and pain control available to her.

As a health care provider, both options were made available to all of my new moms and whatever choice they made was supported. No one should feel forced to breastfeed, or bottle feed. It's an individual choice.

I was also bottle fed, and I turned out fine as well.

Perhaps I worded my opening sentence wrong. I kind of struggled with it, actually, as I wasn't sure how to really express myself.

All I know is when I was reading how painful and severe her symptoms were, it seemed logical to point out she had another option besides grinning and bearing the pain: she could switch to bottlefeeding if it was just too unbearable. If I was in her place, I know I would like to enjoy the new time with my baby, and if I was in such pain, that would be marred to a significant degree.

Yes, there are benefits to breastfeeding, no doubt about it. Studies also show that other factors can prevent children from getting a lot of infections and allergies. For the former, a lot of doctors suggest mothers not feed their babies cow's milk, and instead, use soy-based formula.

I also think there are many other activities besides breastfeeding that forges a bond between a mother and child, and I am sure that bottlefeeding also helps create the bond.

You can't beat the convenience factor of breastfeeding, that's for sure. And I really, really hope it works out for me and my baby. I'm gonna give it a shot...but if I have severe pain, I have doubts I could continue with it.

I should add that in the case of your friend, Scout, it's a shame that no one made other options for feeding and pain control available to her.

Yes, I was surprised about that, too. I also didn't know you couldn't take most pain medication when you're breastfeeding. Maybe she was misinformed?

Scout,

I completely understand where you are coming from. And that is your choice when the times comes for you. But it's my understanding that breastfeeding is something that is important to BTR, and something she wants to stick with, which is why I am supporting that choice.

BTR, if this is the wrong impression, do let me know. Obviously you know that you have other options, and can stop breastfeeding if you want that and if it becomes too much.

Mastitis is not made worse by breastfeeding once she already has the infection. In fact, continuing to breastfeed can help the infection heal faster than if she stops at this point.

Yes, I was surprised about that, too. I also didn't know you couldn't take most pain medication when you're breastfeeding. Maybe she was misinformed?

No, she wasn't misinformed. The more serious pain medications (opiods, narcotics and such) can cross over into breastmilk and can sedate the baby. Also, infant's livers and kidneys are not mature until they are about one year old, and those organs are what metabolize the drugs, so they can develop toxic side effects from being unable to excrete and metabolize the drugs.

But she should have been informed that she had the option to stop breastfeeding and have pain medication to manage her pain, and it's sad that it wasn't presented to her.