Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a good excuse for cutting?

hi everyone, I used to cut but haven't since march. My parents have no idea, but I don't think I can keep wearing long sleeves in 80 degree weather without my parents realizing I'm hiding something or me dying from the heat.

I think I finally have a way to reveal my cuts to my parents but I wanted to see what other people thought first.

today I was helping my mom cut the roses in our yard that were covered in huge thorns. While I was helping I realised this might be a perfect reason for there to be cuts on my left arm. So I made a pretty big show about how I kept getting cut and all and then rushed in afterwards. I made a few small cuts on my hand to make it look realistic, and some bandaids on my arm and wrist in case I use this plan.

I am really scared to finally come out and show the cuts, even though it would be through a lie, but I don't think I will get another chance this good for an easy way to show my arm. so is this a believable story, would you believe it?
    thanks for reading.

I don't personally think you should be hiding this man...if you're cutting yourself....making up excuses to cover it up is not a great thing; I could never encourage it. It's dangerous...what's goin on, why are you doing this to yourself...? I don't really know much about it, but if your parents saw them, it'd be much better than hiding it from them...maybe you could get some help and be able to stop cutting yourself and having to hide it.
    "Conversion is not like a flu shot!

It's more like being hit by a 30 ton logging truck..

..how can you say you've had an encounter with God, who's enormously larger than a 30 ton truck.. and not be PERMANENTLY changed?!

This is not anger, this is passion, and ALL passion is born out of anguish!"

Christ did not die so you could sin, but so that you would be free from its power over you!

Re: Is this a good excuse for cutting?

You need to tell. Only when you tell can you get help. There are so many people with this problem- youre not alone and so you shouldnt remain that way.

We only heal from comforting. We are only comforted when we speak up.

TELL THEM THE TRUTH. Would you want your kids to cover it up from you if they are having the same problems? Your parents can heeeeeelp.

To be quite honest, no, I do not think that the gardening thing is believable. They will see right through it. The scars from cutting are quite distinctive.

You know, it's ok - they're your parents and they love you. I'm sure that they will be glad to hear that you're not doing it anymore. Perhaps they can hook you up with a therapist to discuss any things that may be on your mind.

Going to a therapist is good, even if you feel better about your life in general. Think about it - you go to a dentist 2 a year for checkups, even when your teeth feel fine. Why not talk to a therapist, just as a general check up?

Good luck! Don't worry - I think things will work out. Take care!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

I think you should tell your parents. They'll be suspicious, and hiding the fact that you cut from people that care about you isn't the best way to go. You should tell them though, that you haven't cut since March. That's an awesome achievement which you should be extatic about. When you talk to them you should frame it that you do have a problem and you've taken measures to stop and you haven't since March.. but you shouldn't hide it.. they probably won't believe you anyway.
    All the world has closed her eyes
    Tried faith all worn and thin
    For all we could have done
    And all that could have been
    ~ Nine inch nails -- The great below

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciciate it.

I was seeing a therapist for a while recently because my parents noticed I was depressed. That didn't work out. It seemed to do more damage than good, after each session I left more depressed than before, I decided if my parents were paying so much money for that it wasn't worth it, so I told them I was better.

If I tell my parents that'll just be one more way I've disapointed them, I don't want to put something like this on them to worry about. Once they know everything will be different. I suppose I wont tell them about the rose story, but I know I wont be able to tell them the truth. I know I should tell but in the back of my mind I keep thinking how if I just keep it from them for one more year I'll be fine, I'll work at my job during the hours they're home and eliminate contact with them, then I'll go off to college and all the unnesessary problems will be solved, they wont be worryed, and I want get yelled at,. I figure if I quit cutting by myself, why should I bring them into it?

I'll work at my job during the hours they're home and eliminate contact with them, then I'll go off to college and all the unnesessary problems will be solved, they wont be worryed, and I want get yelled at,. I figure if I quit cutting by myself, why should I bring them into it?
    okay, this is not a good thing. i'm a cutter and i told my parents after i severely damamged myself the first time. running away and letting all contact go will not solve your problem. if anything, it may escalate it.

i kept my cutting from my parents for a long time and i still keep it from them now because they think i'm better, but don't you feel that guilt of not being able to talk to them about it? i do... and so i have a harder time talking to my parents. i've just about lost my dad, my mum treats me a lot differently and tries to buddy up to me all the time because i dont talk about things like this with her and my step mum just stays neutral and doesn't bring it up. and if someone else brings it up she'll change the subject.

trust me Alien, don't keep it from your folks. dont make the same mistake i have and lose your family because of it.

they wont yell at you and they wont love you any less. they'll be proud of you because you had the courage to tell them and they also be proud that you have been able to abstain from cutting since march. things can only get better if you tell them.

Good luck

Sappho
    I'm insane... but it's ok cos it's all in my head :)

When I used to cut I would walk around with wrist warmers to cover it up at college. But at home I just let my grandparents know, my main reason was because I needed to cope with the stresses that they gave me so I wanted them to know I was hurting. But I've not done it since febuary now. You can stop! I know you can do it!
    GL,
    ~S.

A lot of those excuses I've heard from people at my old school don't work . It's going to look odd wearing long-sleeved shirts during the summer, and if your parents knew you used to cut, that excuse definetely won't work. There was a girl I knew who actually showed her cuts to people. (this was a few years ago, when most middle-schoolers didn't know about cutting but I did for some odd reason, no I've never been a cutter, but back then I never understood why someone would do that) She would try to hide it most of the time, but when PE came around she had to wear the mandatory t-shirt. She would show them to me and others. The other kids would just say, "What happened?" Because it seemed so odd that she had a neat row of little cuts down her arm. She would just say she would accidently scrape her arm against her bedside table at night, or she 'fell'. These excuses are easily seen through, maybe not for young sixth-graders who lose interest after a few minutes, but if an adult had heard these, they would never work. I still remember asking, "Why don't you move the table?" and, "Why do you keep falling and only hurting your arm?", "Are you cutting yourself? Why?" in an accusatory way, now, I would say it much more gently, "Why don't you go to the nurse and get them checked out, you know, in case they're infected?" So that an adult takes care of it. I did tell her to tell her mom or something, which, eventually she did, and last time I talked to her (2 years ago) she was going to a shrink because her mom was worried about her, and I think she was put into a different school because I never saw her again. I hope she's alright, it's so weird because I just suddenly remembered her.

Alien, I would advise, of course that you don't cut yourself. If therapy truly is a lot of money, than atleast tell your parents that you're tempted to cut again, so that they can keep a close eye on you. Perhaps you could see a school therapist? Maybe they're not as experienced as an expensive therapist, but sometimes it helps just to have someone listen.

no... if you completely stopped then you have nothing to hide. if you didnt you need to get help. i have been cutting for 2 years now and i have seeked help. well actually i didnt but my friends did and well... its a LONG story
    End of passion play, crumbling away
    I'm ur source of self-destruction
    Veins that pump with fear, sucking darkest clear
    Leading on ur deaths construction
    Taste me u will see
    More is all u need
    ur dedicated to
    How I'm killing u

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast