Eating, but never getting full!

I drink tea a lot and it seems to make me temporarily full. But I've gained 2-3 lbs. in the past 2 weeks which is a bit worrisome.. mainly because i'm eating more carbs/sweets even when i'm not hungry.....so same problem as yourself, now... just been a bit lazier since i'm not going to the gym as frequently (around 3x/week instead of 5-7x/week...lol.) but it still makes a difference, as working out makes me less hungry during the day, I think it plays with your metabolism.

One of the best things to do is to increase your metabolism. You can increase your metabolism several ways. Start an excercise program. If you can't run at all I can give you an excercise program, that if followed 5 days a week, an hour a day, will have you up to running 2 miles in 2 months.

Eat several small meals a day and don't skip breakfast. Avoid fast food and other foods that are full of fats that store. Alot of carbs store but you can eat food full of carbs that don't store, like plants from the cabbage family.

Sleep is good in moderation. If you sleep 10/12 hours a day your metabolism is going to be horrible. I usually work well with 4/5 hours of sleep a day. There are alot of little things you can do that works. Don't buy foods that are bad for you and don't keep them around your house. Park far away from the store you go to and don't shop in order, make yourself walk more.

Excercise is key. Join a gym, find some friends who have the same goals, and use each other for motivation. I have more ideas if ya think this will work.

are you addressing this to me or Annie? I used to work out 5-7x/week, and eat a lot of veggies (hardly any meat except for chicken), but now that it is summer and I don't live 10 mins. away from the gym (my gym membership is in a different city), I only work out at the gym 3-4x/week. Then I go jogging outside for about 20 mins/day, or so, I do get some physical activity. I'm also typically quite careful about what I eat -- I don't eat nuts or sweets (except for sometimes that orange petit danoune mousse) and some caffeinated drinks, but otherwise I keep pretty healthy........I just gain weight easily, and lose it relatively easily as well....and my body frame is naturally not *that* skinny. so it's harder to keep skinny.....but i'm around 5'10" and 137 lbs. now, size 4. not too shabby, but my weight fluctuates. i want to be down to 134-135 lbs.

The best way to curb this, at least for me, is you have to just really limit your intake and stop eating long before you are full (yes its hard, won't kid you here) then over a period of time your stomach will finally shrink. I did this about two years ago, and now i eat whatever i want when i want and have not been on a diet since. The trick is i can eat wahtever i want without counting calories because I shrunk my stomach enough to where i get full super easy.

It is a tough go to get the stomach used to eating less but once you do it works. Well it worked for me, I dn't know if it works like that for everyone. I also have the propensity genetic wise to be very small and that might have helped too.

Exactly. Quit eating when you feel full and it will make controlling your weight that much easier. We have guys who enter our program in the Army who have a miriad of health questions. We throw these guys to the wolves and push them to the point of death. Our goal is to flush out everyone, and if a few people make it through, then they are allowed to volunteer for the next step.

During this push we watch for serious health issues that may arise. I have seen men in their late teen's/early 20's lose their hair, develop disabling stomach disorders, and lose 20 pounds in a week (these guys start with less than 7% body fat and 20 pounds is huge to them). After this, and we are bringing the guys back to 100% we monitor their intake and one of the things we push is for them to quit eating the instant they think they feel full. We will not serve them full portions of a meal. A meal for them may be a glass of milk, 3/4's of a grilled chicken breast, a dinner roll, a chopped salad, and half an apple.

We preach to them to watch what they take in. Don't eat a bunch of crap that is going to turn their body to crap. Don't eat candybars or drink soda. Eat a oat bar and drink water instead. Monitor what you put into your body. It is YOUR body and you should be very cautious of what you put into it.

and I've also been walking several miles a day, now that the weather is nice again. I can't really do that in the winter time. that's helping with the weight also.

Good for you annie! Walking is the best (at least in my opinion). Not only is walking cheap and low impact exercise but I have found that it is a great time for meditation.

If I sit around all day doing nothing I eat...constantly. During soccer season I don't eat hardly at all because I'm working out and practising so much I almost forget to eat. I think when you are just sitting around theres the most temptation to whip out a bag of chips. Stay active, not like working out 24/7 either,though thats important, just doing something.

If I sit around all day doing nothing I eat...constantly. During soccer season I don't eat hardly at all because I'm working out and practising so much I almost forget to eat. I think when you are just sitting around theres the most temptation to whip out a bag of chips. Stay active, not like working out 24/7 either,though thats important, just doing something.

i agree 100%. so, just working out helps with my nutrition as well and i lose weight that way... it's helpful on so many levels... i miss it =(

actually, the days i am sitting around doing nothing are the days I eat the best, because I have time to think about what to put into my body. also because I'm not so hungry because I haven't been doing anything. the days that I'm really crazy or stressed or busy and don't have as much time to plan my meals, those are the days that I'm not very good about what I eat.

I agree with anyone who said eat Fiber... its so simple.... ok, fiber gives you the notion of being full for longer periods of time, most fibers are not digestable, they are just excreted when you make a bowel movement, and also prevent (calories, carbs or something else I cant remember which) from being stored as much... Fiber is an excellent healthy source of food... apples with skins, raw green beans, other type of beans, peanut butter, whole grain cereals (read the package cuz some arent exactly whole grain) broccoli... if you put this in with your meals it should get better. Ok, so say your having a balanced meal, a meat (preferably lean meat like chicken or fish) a carb (like potatoes or pasta) and a veggie... the veggie should be the item that is most on your plate, then meat, then carb should be the smallest portion.

Instead of drinking coffee in the morning, eat an apple... apples are actually known to wake you up faster then coffee, and give you energy to boot... then maybe eat an apple later in the day as a snack. Keep in mind if your not used to eating fiber, that it makes your stool soft, and eating too much can make it... watery.

A nutritionist once told me if you eat 3 servings of fiber in a day you can eat whatever you want besides that. When I started eating more fiber, I lost 7 lbs in a month, just by switching to more fiber oriented diet (This is without regular exercise)

• 5 months later...

just an update..... i've been following a glycemic index diet the last few days, and it seems to be curbing my appetite. first off, i've already been on weight watchers for 11 weeks, and have lost 18.2 lbs. Then, i was reading Shape magazine this month, and saw an article with a week's sample menu, it looked good, so i decided to go for it. it's based on the glycemic index diet, which is basically about eating foods that keep your blood sugar levels from spiking and falling drastically - to keep your blood sugar levels constant...... it's about 1600 calories a day.... and you know what? it keeps me full!

it makes me wonder if this was part of the problem before, if i was eating foods that were making my blood sugar spike and fall. The research on the glycemic diet has been mixed, i've read things that have said really good things, and others that said kind of neutral things. the GI diet encourages you to eat fruits, veggies, whole wheat, lean meats, etc.... all stuff that is generally good for you anyways. and if you do eat something with a lot of sugar, like a fruit yogurt, then it encourages you to eat it with some nuts, or some apples with peanut butter.

So far, i feel really full and satisfied on it, so maybe this is what was wrong all along (blood sugar levels up and down)? i might stay a while on this plan, and see if this is for me. (and it is compatible with the weight watchers plan i am already on)

• 2 years later...

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I've been having that problem on and off for 1.5 years, plus sever abdominal pain. The doctors can't figure it out. I'm not gaining or losing weight, I'm not pregnant, and I'm not stressed any more than I normally am.

Thanks!

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I've been having that problem on and off for 1.5 years, plus sever abdominal pain. The doctors can't figure it out. I'm not gaining or losing weight, I'm not pregnant, and I'm not stressed any more than I normally am.

Thanks!

i would get abdominal pain after a fatty meal.

i think it was just me not controlling my sugar intake (said as i am eating a piece of 50% off sale valentine chocolates!) i found when i eat more like a diabetic (ie, low sugar, high fiber, low fat diet), based on the gylcemic index, i have more stablized hunger throughout the day.

low-fat turkey chili is a miracle for me. keeps me full for a long time and is healthy as well. paired with some crackers or low fat cheese, it's just a nice meal

Archived