What's everyone's opinion of "matchmaker" sites?

hey people,

I've been toying with the idea of putting my name and stuff on

a few of those online matchmaker sites...

not to find a new girlfriend but just to meet new people and maybe chat to some people and stuff....

what's everyone's opinon of these type sites?

(it's kinda freaky to think about doing it but it's free and more emails are always a welcome distraction!

Hey! My suggestion? Why not! I'd suggest sites that allow you to post a profile without paying first, which most do, just so you can check it out. link removed has a good reputation, but I don't know about Australia, just the U.S.

I'd look around first, and make sure it's a legit site, but don't hesitate to post, as long as you don't put up too much personal information. Just put info that you're comfortable having anyone know... that's all.

Good luck!

S.A.M.

Thousands of people, just like you. just select the, "for pen pals, friendship, relationship" boxes, and make the area within a reasonable distance.

get a recent photo ready to post also, youll get a lot more responses that way.

Also your interest, after all you want to find someone in which youll actually have something to chat about dont you?

good luck

• 3 years later...

I think the best FREE online datng site is okcupid and connectingsingles because both sites lets you know if the person profile is active or not(example: last activity last week).Most dating sites don't have these features because most of their profiles are old,fake and nonactive ads.

Tip: Don't sign up for a paid dating site without the "last activity" feature.

Worst free and paid dating site(no "last activity "feature):

1. link removed(shy,interracial,nerd,celibate,green,movies etc) Free site

2. Tangowire(bbW,interracial,etc) Paid site

Of course, every site is good in some places or for some relationships and not for others. link removed seems popular in the US, but the site was almost dead in my part of Canada. Plentyofffish seemed to be more of a social site than a dating one in my area too. I liked Lavalife and eHarmony, and OKCupid seemed interesting too.

My suggestion is to try out a bunch (try out as much as you can without paying) and seeing how many responses you get. No point in paying for one if nobody's using it in your area.

As Aurian pointed out depends where you are. I too am in Canada and no one from here seems to be on match...lavalife is the big one here. I met my wonderful boyfriend on lavalife

It can work wonderfully when you need to expand the circle of people you meet, which can be hard when you have a busy career, are taking classes and or have a lot of hobbies and have already met everyone you feel you can! I preferred setting myself up on blind dates than friends doing it for me . It can help expand the circle of people you meet, as sometimes you seem to meet the same people over and over again depending on where you live too!

I don't have experience with the free ones...I have one ex whom met their current partner on plentyoffish, but I hear from others there can also be a lot of people far less serious about meeting a partner too.

I always find it odd when people say it is better to meet in real life than online; the fact is online dating is not supposed to be DATING online, it is just a way to make a connection with someone to meet in real life. Not much different then meeting someone in the supermarket and setting up a date or what have you. You should meet them face to face as soon as possible. I only met LOCAL people, and met those where there was mutual interest within a week or two of first talking.

I signed up to one and although I met some of the most horrible people I have ever had the displeasure to meet, I also met some of the best.

Its a gamble... people, although you might only have your profile on "friends" still assume that you are looking for somthing more, and if they dont get it they can get shirty.

I met a whole bunch of people who I got along with REALLY well, but didnt want to date, just be friends, and they couldnt handle it, they got all weird.

there is a stigma that goes with them as well,... its embarrassing to tell people you met your new partner on an online dating service (if you do meet someone, that is)

hey people,

I've been toying with the idea of putting my name and stuff on

a few of those online matchmaker sites...

not to find a new girlfriend but just to meet new people and maybe chat to some people and stuff....

what's everyone's opinon of these type sites?

(it's kinda freaky to think about doing it but it's free and more emails are always a welcome distraction!

Those sites never worked for me at all