Arghhhh! Another Yeast Infection!

I just went to the gyno last Tuesday and 2 days later, I developed a yeast infection (I think it's from the lubrication she used to do the internal exam which leaked out for hours afterwards; plus I'm on the pill and have been under LOTS of stress lately).

Because the weekend came and the itching was becoming unbearable, I bought and used one of those Monistat 1-day/night doses (it's in the shape of an egg and says it's guaranteed to stay in place). It's been about 36 hours since I used it and at this point, when I look down there with a mirror, it's not red and irritated anymore, but I don't know if the current discharge is from the melting Monistat or from the actual infection..AND the itching has started again. I'm away from home, trying to get some work done, but it's a little hard to sit still. Ughhh!! I probably won't get another appointment with my doctor until Tuesday or maybe even Wednesday. I'm losing my patience and want it to go away asap!!

For those of you with recurrent yeast infections (I seem to have them about once every 2 or 3 months lately), how has the Monistat worked for you? I've used it once before; but I know Diflucan works MUCH better even though it takes a few days.

Do you all think I just need to give the Monistat more time to work before the infection goes away?

What else has worked for you all? I also bought homeopathic AZO for yeast infections; you take 3 if you have an actual infection and 1/day to prevent recurrences (I don't know about that though). What do you all know about Azo?

Ughhh....sometimes it SUCKS being a woman ](*,)

If the one day dose doesn't work for you, then use the ones that are 3 or 7 days...

Also, you can sometimes get other bacterial infections that you think are yeast infections that are not... so if doesn't go away after another treatment or two, I'd check with the doctor.

Try eating yoghurt everyday to combat recurrent yeast infections (the healthy bacteria in yoghurt can outcompete the yeast in your system). Also, stop eating high sugar items for a while, since yeast seems to feed on this (i.e., cut out fruit juices, cookies, candy, cakes, icecream, sugary cereals, any source that has concentrated sugar)...

whole fruits are ok (apples, strawberries etc.), but avoid juice as the sugar content is higher...

I've heard that one day treatments aren't as good because they don't always work to kill the yeast in 1 day, that it may be better to go with a 3 or 7 day treatment. BSBH has some good advice there! And go drink some cranberry juice! And yes, check with your doctor if you aren't feeling better soon.

If you need to get an appointment soon, go to the same day clinic or urgent care (not the emergency room!)

I have had that experience too. I have taken the pills that are supposed to kill the yeast in one time (the oral ones), and they just didn't kill it enough it seemed. For me, it was mostly an infection on the outside (labia), so the cream (14 days) helped the best. Most creams also have a canule to insert it inside the vagina, since infections often affect both the internal and external parts of the genitalia.

Ugh, good luck girl. This summer I had three infections (well, or one BIG one that just wouldn't go away)... I know how you feel!

Arwen

Take garlic pills. I know what you're thinking...garlic? Garlic kills yeast. Whenever I feel even the twinge of one coming on, I take a double dosage of garlic pills for about 3 days and it doesn't progress.

Right now, go have a bath with about a cup of baking soda. It will relieve the itching, it really does work.

I used to have recurrent yeast infections like you. I am proud to say I have not had one in over 2 years now because of the garlic trick, plus something else...I take accidophilus every day. It's a live bacteria that your body normally has anyway. You can buy it at Walmart or wherever. As soon as you open it, leave it in the fridge as it's a live bacteria and needs to be cool or else it will die and be useless.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It seems like since I hit the mid-20's in age, I've had recurrences more often than not! The last one I had actually came on the morning of my annual pap! (which was convenient because my gyno gave me oral Diflucan right away) I'll try to check the Urgent care clinic in my area if my gyno can't see me in the next couple of days. If I'm unable to do either, I'll go get a 3 or 7 day dose of Monistat. My doctor did tell me before that sometimes, the 1 day dose doesn't kill all the yeast and that a recurrence may actually have resulted from the prior infection not completely going away.

Beyondthesea...I'll definitely try the accidophilus. Also, the garlic pills really work? I've heard that before. I was thinking of buying some when I was at the drugstore, but I was concerned about smelling like garlic (breath, through pores, etc). Is a smell noticeable?

Annie24...as far as my stress is concerned, I'm stressed about school--trying to finish my requirements prior to my dental school graduation. I've been bad about letting the stress get me down and not motivate me to exercise, etc. I need to get moving! Thanks for reminding me to find an outlet for my stress!

Hey girl,

I used to get recurrent infections, too: what worked for me (after years of infections!) was getting off the BC pill. Maybe it's something you should consider? For me, the con of yeast infections every three months definitely outweighed the pros of the pill!

Other tips:

- Use diflucan as a last resort. The yeast that causes the infection has migrated from your bowels, where it has a role to play in digestion. Taking oral medication wipes out the yeast everywhere in your body, including where it is needed

- Normally, because of its acidity levels, your vagina is not a good environment for yeast. It might be out of whack because of the pill, but diet can also play a role: As someone else already said, avoid sugar, and also alcohol and caffeine, and generally make sure you eat a healthy diet. Yoghurt works only if it is "live", i.e. with living acidophilus cultures in it: if it does not specify that on the packaging, it won't do you any good.

- Also to preserve/regain your natural acidity levels, wash your genital area with water only, not soap

- try and get enough sleep!

Hope it clears up soon & best of luck with your studies!

C

The garlic truly does work. Many women actually use garlic and stick it up inside themselves, but I really would NOT recommend this considering how irritated your skin is right now. It could really burn. If it was mild, then I would consider it. I've never tried it, but if I get one again I am going to do that.

The garlic pills truly and completely work.

Accidophilius is a very, very good thing. It's not a 'hippy remedy' either by the way...a pharmacist recommended it to me a few years ago after I was in for my every 3 month dose of Difflucan. She had done extensive research on it herself which is why she recommended it. If I ever saw her again, I'd probably kiss the woman.

I used to have chronic yeast infections in my 20's and 30's.

Developed a resistance to Monistat fairly quickly.

Gynelotrimin worked for a while, but eventually I became resistant to that, too.

Diflucan - a pill you take orally - is the only thing that works for me anymore, and it takes multiple doses (1- 150mg pill every other day for 3 doses).

I had a really great gyno back where I used to live and she got me on a regimen that has reduced my outbreak of actual infections to less than 1 per year on average....and I only get that one if I've been on antibiotics or it's been extremely hot outside for a prolonged period of time.

I take one 150mg Diflucan per month (I take it on the 1st, so I don't forget) every month. That's it. My gyno writes a prescription for 12 pills as directed at my annual check-up, and if I happen to develop an outbreak during the course of the year, I just call the office and they prescribe me 3 pills to take care of it. If I go on antibiotics, I get a script for a Diflucan every other day during the time I'm on the antibiotics, and that prevents an infection from ever starting.

I have been following this regimen for the last 5-6 years and can count on one hand the number of yeast infections I have had during that time. It's well worth taking the one pill a month as a preventative rather than waiting until I've already got symptoms and have an active infection.

Thanks you all! I REALLY appreciate the responses I'm feeling a little better this morning, the itching stopped yesterday evening at around 7pm, but I'm still going to try to see a doctor today.

I've been on the pill for about 6 years so you all are right...I'm SURE that probably has something to do with it because I had only had like 1 yeast infection before I got on birth control. But I needed something to regulate my period, my flow during my period (it was OUTRAGEOUS), and my cramps (they used to make me so sick!).

I'm DEFINITELY going to take everyone's advice and take care of myself as well as this nasty yeast! Thanks again everyone!

Archived