moms: was your mother present when you delivered?

rocio

She (my wifes mother) was hovering on the first child. She was in and around on the second and third. It's a bit different though because my exwife's father was a doctor so all the doctors on duty that night kept dropping by.

For the latest it was just the two of us, but M's mother passed away years ago so it wasn't possible anyway.

I think whether you would want them around and whether they would be helpful or a hinderance depends on their character and your relationship. It should be totally your call by the way hazey.

Not a mother, but my mother's mother was not there for the birth of either of her two children. I don't think her presense ever really came up as a decision to make, since they were living on different continents.

However, I don't think my mother would have had her there regardless of location. Partly because they have had a strained relationship in the past, and partly because it was a private and "intimate" experience that my mother wanted to share with my father, as a couple. If she had been single I can imagine she might have had her mother there with her.

My mom was there for the birth of my oldest son.

I cried because she was gone for my 2 year olds birth and the new baby. I like to think that she was there somewhere watching even though shes passed away.

Of course she was. My paternal grandmother, the most beautiful woman I've ever known, passed away when I was 4 months pregnant. I like to think that a part of her still lives in my baby.

My mom helped me through my whole time at the hospital. She rubbed my head during contractions and threatened violence against my stepdad if he made one more corny joke. She couldn't be in the operating room with me even though I wanted both her AND my husband there but she and my stepdad were standing right outside in the hallway. It's kind of a good thing because she was able to take pictures of my son as he was getting cleaned up and taken care of, since I couldn't see him.

I wish your mom would see that this is the kind of thing she shouldn't miss out on, and how much of a help she'd be to you, even just for comfort. I'm sorry she's placing other things over the birth of her grandchild, that's just tragic...

I'm sorry she's placing other things over the birth of her grandchild, that's just tragic...

That's what I thought too. But then I'm very sensitive and sometimes tend to be a drama queen and work myself into a frenzy over insignificant things. I'm glad most of you tend to agree that this is an important event and I have reason to be bothered.

thanks for sharing your experiences guys

yes, he's coming today!! Woohoo! He will be staying with me here for the next 2 months, and after that we will go stay in his city together with baby.

I am so, so happy to finally have him here to take care of me and give me affection and you-know-what. Yesterday I got my hair done and I got a pedicure (I figure he'll rub my feet more if they look pretty). This morning I used my special-occasion chanel soap so I'd smell good for him. There's cheesecake and 3 huge steaks waiting in the fridge for us to enjoy together. Today is such an exciting day for me. I'm like a little kid on the first day of summer.