Does anyone have any tips on stopping those night time thoughts of:

The ex moving on;

screwing someone else;

forgetting you;

moving on to bigger and better things;

your life falling apart;

seeing the ex out with a new lover;

the ex not caring;

the ex enjoying their newfound freedom; etc.

It seems to be at night these thoughts paralyse me with fear.

I agree with Rose2Summer. Exercise can be a savior.

I also found writing in a journal to be good along with reading books. Keeping your mind occupied and filling your time can be key. I also volunteered in a hospital, which gave me perspective on my situation. I was able to witness children struggling to live which made me struggling with a breakup seem miniscule.

Good luck, hope this bit helps.

When I find that I simply cannot shut off my thoughts, I plug in my ipod and listen to comedy audiobooks. I force myself to concentrate on what they're saying and not let my mind wander off. Eventually you realise you haven't heard anything that they've been saying, but you haven't been thinking either. Then you turn it off and fall asleep pretty much instantly.

All the fears and ponderings that really choked me up (I believe mine were exactly along the lines of yours), I kept in a box deep inside. Then I would think about it only a bit at a time and when it started to pull me down I'd lock it back in the box. These are fears of things not within my control, so they don't get free reign. I can't control other people, only myself. This is part of the process of division - going from one unit into two separate parts again.

Just allow a little bit of exposure each time, feeling my way around each step I knew would come. I would also push through the pain, imagining each scenario and how I would feel so it wouldn't be so raw when it really happened. After you lock it down, don't let it wiggle out again - switch activities or give yourself small assignments to do in order to keep you from dwelling and pulling yourself in further.

The ex moving on;

screwing someone else;

forgetting you;

your life falling apart;

the ex not caring;

Maybe you can try some of your own creative thinking. Imagine you at your most fabulous, a little while from now. You're on a date with a gorgeous man who you are starting to like a lot. You bump into the ex, who is out with his mates, and he looks really cut to see Fabulous You out and about. He takes you aside and asks for a second chance. You look at him, and you think "actually, no, I've been there, done that".

Night is also a panic time for me, and I have had many sleepless hours in my past. I spent most of my time trying to work out why the ex left, as it was a mystery to me (and still is). But you do move on, the panic subsides. If you can try to visualise yourself in positive situations you might be able to make it pass faster.

Hope you feel better soon.

The ex moving on;

screwing someone else;

forgetting you;

your life falling apart;

the ex not caring;

I have these as well....but in the morning as well....

My ex has made it clear she has moved on and with a new guy who she really likes? took only 5 weeks after 7 years.

I kep asking her all these things and it did nothing but make her angry at me for not respecting her space.....still doesnt help with the thoughts actually adds to them now that I made her "hate" me....

The only thing I have is that oneday it will get better.....

go to the gym. you keep busy and exercise is good for the mind and body. additionally, it boosts your self estee, and get you back in shape and looking your best for when you are dating again.

read a self help book or read this website. this website has helped me so much in the last six weeks i cant say enough about it.

whatever you do dont check your ex's myspace, facebook and other websites profiles...it will just agonize you more.

also, when i am in bed trying to sleep, i pray instead of thinking about the ex.

go to the gym. you keep busy and exercise is good for the mind and body. additionally, it boosts your self estee, and get you back in shape and looking your best for when you are dating again.

read a self help book or read this website. this website has helped me so much in the last six weeks i cant say enough about it.

This what I have also been doing ,going to gym ,keeping myself busy and occupied and it has done wonders to me ,I have lost 24 lbs ,have stopped going to the councellors on weekends to get rid of these feelings.

Best of Luck

I pretty much suffer from thoughts haunting me all day long...not just about what he is doing, but also about what went wrong. Mainly I either just go with it or try to block it out.

I agree with the theory about exercise, this really helps.

I think it is something you just go through, when you stop you will know you have healed xxx