Why do alot of co-workers ask "Do you have a gf"?

I sometimes find this annoying maybe because I never had a gf at all..At my work there always new employees and everytime I work doing warehouse or stocking or at the lunch room or where ever, Many co-workers bring up the question and ask me "Do you have a gf" then I say no.. Then I just get up and leave to try to do something else...I hate when co-workers ask that question..I don't like when they bring it up because it hurts inside..ALso to me it seems weird why do guys ask other co worker guys "Do you have a gf"..To me thats kinda disturbing and creepy.. Do alot of co-workers ask that question to you?

It's a pretty normal question and they don't mean to upset you. I understand, though - when you're sensitive about an issue you don't need people reminding you of it. Either tell them that you're enjoying the single life (little white lies are ok in this situation), or say, "no, I'm on the market.. why? do you have some cute friends?"

I don't think they think your homosexual! LOL They're just making conversation. Its just chit chat to get to know you I should imagine, have you asked them anything back to show an interest in them? Or maybe they all like you and want to find out if you're taken?!

I don't ask anything back, usually I just leave..I don't show interest in guys that ask me questions like that..And I have no interest in guys..I hate having jobs where its just all guys..I wish I had a job with girls!

Because it's an easy opener to conversation that's about things other than work.

Just say, not right now. And then ask them if they have one back. 50% chance they say no, 50% chance they say yes and then you can ask them if their girls know any cute single girls. You have to know people to meet people...

I wish I had a job with girls!

Who would probably ask you the same question. People are nosy!

Well, one of the reasons I am on this site is to try to get myself set-up in my brain toward finding a GOOD girlfriend, too. I really haven't had a girlfriend that was much of a girlfriend for at least 15 years - since you were 13.

And the good girlfriends I had are gone from my life now. The whole process of finding a life partner is VERY HARD for a LOT of people.

At work they may be just trying to make conversation, I hope. It wouldn't make me worry. I'd say "no, not now SO you know any women you could hook me up with?"

It is certainly possible they are probing for your sexual nature. That would be creepy. And it does happen. You'll have to get a sense for that yourself. Note how I worded the response above in a way that communicates more of what you are about.

Hang in there. Get out there. Force yourself to take the risks necessary in asking women out.

I've got two first dates this weekend - both from two different Internet dating sites. One found me. The other I found.

3 things could happen:

we both like one another

we both don't like one another.

one does and another doesn't

the last one is the most difficult because either I am going to be let down or I have to let another down.

but I keep reminding myself that I am only looking for one person and the process may require going through hundreds of first dates.

I honestly think they're just trying to get to know you. Its a thing men share a common interest in They probably find it weird you just leave and don't ask them a bit about themselves.

Yeah, unless you feel that someone is making some kind of pass or probe - just reciprocate with similar talk.

51% of Americans do not have a partner, I've been told. So you are not alone.

Seems weird that a guy would ask that question to another guy... unless they were coming on to you (I've always thought of that as a "coming on" question). Or maybe it naturally occurs in the conversation - like they are talking about girlfriends in general and are looking to give an example and say, "like - do you have a girlfriend?" hoping to follow up with.. "Well you know what I'm talking about, so" or something

Seems weird that a guy would ask that question to another guy... unless they were coming on to you (I've always thought of that as a "coming on" question). Or maybe it naturally occurs in the conversation - like they are talking about girlfriends in general and are looking to give an example and say, "like - do you have a girlfriend?" hoping to follow up with.. "Well you know what I'm talking about, so" or something

Its definitely possible, but I doubt that multiple men would be using the same opening line on one guy.

They work together. They're curious.

Perhaps they think that you are homosexual. It could be their inside joke.

DayWalker,

Why would a person ask someone if they have a girlfriend if they have already decided that that person is homosexual? That doesn't so much seem an inside joke as it does an expression of dimwittedness.

Iwishiknew,

They probably don't mean a thing by it and aren't really trying to be intrusive. Most likely it's just chit-chat.

My coworkers ask me that all the time. I think they're just trying to be nice. Bear in mind that all of my coworkers are female and married with families. I think they were just trying to be friendly. Maybe if you told them you were single they'd try to hook you up with one of their friends. That happens a lot with guys who are single. I really don't think they were coming on to you sexually. Guys have come on to me before and believe me, you know the difference. I find myself asking girls if they're single. I'm not single but I have single friends. Who knows? That's how a lot of relationships get off the ground.

The exact same thing keeps happening to me. I even made a thread about it, but now I can't find that thread on Enotalone.

Anyway, here are some reasons why they might be asking:

1. Maybe they like bashing women and thier wives in thier conversations, so they just want to make sure what they are saying isn't offensive to you.

2. Maybe they just like talking about thier romantic relationships.

3. They are bored and have nothing else to talk about.

4. They wish they had a girlfriend.

I do have to admit though, i find it strange that you get that question from other guys. For me, i get asked a lot, but its almost always from girls who do the asking. For girls, its natural for them to talk about relationships, so they just want to know. But from guys....Lol...maybe they are gay......hahaha

I sometimes find this annoying maybe because I never had a gf at all..At my work there always new employees and everytime I work doing warehouse or stocking or at the lunch room or where ever, Many co-workers bring up the question and ask me "Do you have a gf" then I say no.. Then I just get up and leave to try to do something else...I hate when co-workers ask that question..I don't like when they bring it up because it hurts inside..ALso to me it seems weird why do guys ask other co worker guys "Do you have a gf"..To me thats kinda disturbing and creepy.. Do alot of co-workers ask that question to you?
DayWalker,

Why would a person ask someone if they have a girlfriend if they have already decided that that person is homosexual?

Agreed. I have had many guys hit on me. And I've never received the girlfirend line suggested. I mean a gay guy is not going to care if you have a girlfriend or not. Lots of married guys and guys with girlfriends have homosexual relationships on the side.

What dating websites did you use?

I use link removed and e-harmony.

I understand there may be others which are better.

I heard that link removed was good and that people use myspace and craig's list to date. I've never even been to myspace. Check out link removed This is going to be my next online dating foray - find things where I expect to meet lots of like-minded women.