Quick question...

Hey,

I was very awake a couple of hours ago (infact, I still am. Bloody insomnia) and was browsing profiles on a site. It's not specifically a meeting site, just a social network type thing that a friend got me to sign up to. Anyway, I came accross some guys profile. He's 30 and I noticed he was drinking a can of Miller Beer in his picture, so I sent him a message something like "I see you're drinking Miller, it's all about the Heineken dude, I recommend you switch beers before it's too late". He's from the same city as me, so he sent me a message back and gave me his MSN address, which I added to my list.

We spoke for a little while just now, and he said something like "so you wanna go for a drink in the city next week or so?". Nobody's ever been that direct and so quickly after meeting them on a site, and I really didn't know what to say so I ended up replying about a busy schedule and he gave me his number and that was it.

Question is, I am right in thinking that it's weird that he asked so far, aren't I? Do people just do that, and meet up so quickly?

I have and I prefer it but I require - at least a brief phone conversation and I very strongly prefer to have his phone number, last name and where he lives/works before we meet in person. I prefer that as opposed to people who just want to email endlessly. Ask to speak by phone first, meet during the day in a public place and -very important! - do not leave your drink or coffee or soda unattended ever - to avoid a date rape drug being slipped into it - sounds a bit paranoid but it happened to a friend of mine in broad daylight, in a coffee shop by a guy she met on link removed. She woke up in his car half naked a few hours later.

Nothing to do with the site. I have met lovely people through that site as did my friend. Just has to do with men who rape women and use that site as well as others to advertise. link removed can't control for that really.

You're right...but this is not the first time I've heard of it. I think it was annie24 posted a thread mentioning an article where this happened to someone meeting a man from link removed.

Not related to the above but--I have noticed from personal experience, that a lot of people who were on match were in relationships already or just getting out of one, or looking for one night stand sort of stuff.